• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinP

My Avi Evolved
Years
    • Seen May 19, 2009
    Much better!You're learning fast.However,there are some again.See the bushes?they're making a walkway the way they're placed,but thats not natural.Good work,you replaced the ground "walls" with trees.
    And whats with the house over the top of that (cliff?)?

rating: 6,79/10
    1 Thank You
    2 Thats What Those Things Are Supposed To Be?Wow...... now i can see how that is not natural........ ya know, i never knew those were bushes! you learn something new every day i guess
    3 That House Is Supposed To Be A Gym

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I Was Skipped (i think)-----------------------
    At the top right of your map, the cliffs are looking good, the ones on the bottom look a little off though. You might want to try making a new map. This one is pretty square... it'll be kinda hard to make it look good.

You'll be learning most things on your own now... I never read any tutorials or actually even got a rating on any of my maps until after I got good at mapping (sorta, I'm still not even good at it yet imo... but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist.) so it's possible to learn just by observation. Just keep hanging around here and look at/rate maps and you'll get better.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
  • Map Name: Baktria Town
    Code Base: Pokémon Congbu
    Details: Nothing
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: 10/10

Reason: I like this map. Well, the variety of trees and plants is enchanting (Right, Enchanting) for the gamer, and the uniqueness of the tiles... Hmm... Great. I also love the design of the Infrastructures, because even though it's old and traditional, You can still see the originality of the details on it. Also, the waters are simple in detail, but stands out in the map. Pathway is fine, and so are the rocky areas. It really is great.

Suggestion: Nothing much really... Well, do more buildings. I love the way you do the traditional buildings. Can you add more flowers with different colors?

Good, good... This will turn out great when played... But make sure your characters are wearing KIMONO ! :)

P.S.

Years
  • Take 2! *snap*

I'm listened to the critisism I got before, So (hopefully), I've made some improvements.

Map Name: Mountainash City
    Map Game: FireRed
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The ditch near the bottom of the mountain is blocked by a hiker sprite, I am aware of that. Inside the cave, you can do spelunking (or at least I'll try to make something similair to that), but you need to have beaten a certain gym leader before the hiker moves. He'd probably say, for now: "Workmen are clearing up an incident that occured earlier inside the cave. Please return later.". Yeah...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    ageangel=

you're learning fast,but i see some mapping mistakes in the mountains where grass should be.the bushes around that house are not very natural,neither the rocks in the entrance of the village.You must not leave free space and big walkways.i suggest you make the sturctures close to each other,so they fill the empty space. ;)

rating: 6,53/10

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Hope this get better compliment...
    Map name:?????
    Comment:It takes me an hour to do this...
    Rate It...
    Spoiler:

Where to get started... Overall at first sight the map might get a C+ grade for effort.

While this map shows some delightful spots you seem to be going along with the pattern method which takes away any natural feel on the map. Your unneeded grouping of rocks, bushes, and flowers are all too clustered and your lack of a path on the mountain way heading north makes it an overall undesirable walk way. Around the blue house in the middle of the path are all tile errors, you need to use the corner and top tiles on it. Your mountains also show a lack of constructive tiling and use. you should make it more than one layer and size. The paths on top and bottom also are lined with some unneeded bushes and rocks which gives it an ugly and unappealing look.
    At last glance your map gets a 4.5/10

Improve on those things and I will recalculate my vote.

thelaytonmobile

Beginning Reading Your Message
    Years
  • Hope this get better compliment...
    Rate It...
    Spoiler:

Looks good in terms of tiles/pallette, but a little too much empty space. The centre house needs work, I don't like the hedge and it appears to be surrounded by the wrong sort of tiles. The upper grass/mountain tiles are off. I also dislike the random dirt patch below the stairs. And what is that tree in the very bottom right, it looks cool actually, and I think you should use it more. So, umm, 5/10? That sounded a little harsh actually, I like the overall layout, it just has too much emptiness.

Last edited:

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
  • Map name: ************8
    Comment: It takes me an hour to do this...
    Rate It...
    Spoiler:

Rating: 8/10

Reason: Well, the scenery is good... Flowers make the surroundings of the map pretty. I just don't appreciate much the footing of the buildings. Well, it needs to have a specific tile (Like concrete or rock). It just doesn't fit the the infrastructure with the grassy areas. Still, I like the designs of the trees and bushes. The hour you wasted to do this is, i think, worth it. And the sign's cute.

Suggestion: If you can, make the footing of the buildings concrete/rocky tiles. Add more texture to the grass. An create some of your own textures. Other than that , It's OK.

P.S.

Years
  • I'm listened to the critisism I got before, So (hopefully), I've made some improvements.

Map Name: Mountainash City
    Map Game: FireRed
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    hmmm i'd give a 7.5/10, reason? well, the map is ok and all, but i don't really thing the buildings work that well with the mountain...and the rogue tree at the bottom kinda put me off...

Rate It...
    Spoiler:
    6.5/10... needs work on the paths, the empty space and the tile errors, but once that's done i'd say around a 9 or 9.5

CollinP

My Avi Evolved
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2009
    Rate It...
    Spoiler:
    well, i like the overal idea of it, but the dirt kinda throws me off- and the rocks to- and the top edges of the mountain can't be done with the rocky edge if the rest is grass- example
    i give it a 7

Last edited:

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Name: ???
    Made on: Congbu
    Spoiler:
    Comments: Well, the first thing I notice is the extreme amount of flowers in this map. Now you see, flowers add a good feel to a map, and they're almost NEEDED, but not in this extreme amount. Anyways, on to other stuff. I like the tree placement, as well as the path placement, so not really any complaints there, except for the tile error in the southern area(in a screen at the bottom of the post). The shape of them is pretty nice. K, now for the mountains. The shape of them is pretty good, but in spots there are too many turns in them(if you understand). Everything else is pretty good except for the water. There are quite a few errors with it(also posted in screenshot).

Suggestions: Remove some flowers, fix the errors, and take out some of the turns in the mountains.

Screenshot:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Great map, however, iSpy a tile error to the south of the map, with the trees.. >.<
    9.5/10
    Thank you and that is now fixed in the Revision.

i really like this map- i see 1 tile error (with the trees) but it is still a great map! 9.5/10
    also, how did you make the tiles look like that?
    Thank you :) is fixed and with palettes ;)

Comments: Well, the first thing I notice is the extreme amount of flowers in this map. Now you see, flowers add a good feel to a map, and they're almost NEEDED, but not in this extreme amount. Anyways, on to other stuff. I like the tree placement, as well as the path placement, so not really any complaints there, except for the tile error in the southern area(in a screen at the bottom of the post). The shape of them is pretty nice. K, now for the mountains. The shape of them is pretty good, but in spots there are too many turns in them(if you understand). Everything else is pretty good except for the water. There are quite a few errors with it(also posted in screenshot).

Suggestions: Remove some flowers, fix the errors, and take out some of the turns in the mountains.

Screenshot:
    Spoiler:
    Thank you bro ;) I fixed the things you mentioned. Except the mountain thing I might change that later or not (A)

Revision
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • https://img257.imageshack.us/img257/305/newbark.png

This is a New Bark town remake. I tried to make it as exact to the GS one as possible, which is why there's that city pathway. I might edit it later to make it like HG/SS, with grass instead of path.

No, I'm not making a GS remake, there's absolutely no point (before there was a little bit) now that there's HeartGold and SoulSilver. This is just part of a new ROM hack.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back