• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I present you people with, a brand new map I just finished that I think really sucks. I don't really care what kind of ratings I get for this, since it's that horrible... >>

Map Rating/Review Thread

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • I present you people with, a brand new map I just finished that I think really sucks. I don't really care what kind of ratings I get for this, since it's that horrible... >>

Map Rating/Review Thread
    Yep. The grass filling does suck.
    Try to make the place between the two forests of trees smaller.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • I present you people with, a brand new map I just finished that I think really sucks. I don't really care what kind of ratings I get for this, since it's that horrible... >>

Map Rating/Review Thread
    Your path placement = ew. Try not to make it SO DAMN BIG next time. Also, they're like repetitive in shape = no. Grass placement makes me cry. It's just not right. Also, paths surrounded by grass = BOOGEYMAN WILL GET YOU.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I agree with tb pro so I am not going to repeat what tb said also your montains are untarual and lots of empty space :[ but good tree placement try going to grid mode and make sure there arent a bunch of the same block toching eath other :D
    overall 6/10

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Hack: N/A
    Name: Southerlin Summit
    Base Rom: FireRed
    Credits: Xiros, Alistair, Kyldove, Saurav, Newtiteuf
    Shot:
    Spoiler:

Notes: Revised version. Took some of Quilava Master's suggestions.

Years
  • Wow. I love this map. It is really pleasing to the eye. Considering you have mapped such a large are here, none is what I could describe as boring. There are some things that I would like to pick up on. As described above, flowers look best when diagonally placed, but in adjacent squares, if that makes any sense. Also, I would avoid putting them in wild grass. It just looks weird. Also, make the whole path link up. The small lonesome section next to the house looks out of place.
    Overall, an excellent map. 9/10
    Suggestions: Adjust the flower placement. Also, do NOT listen to any-one saying "your path is too straight". They are MANMADE and thus are meant to be straight. The tree and path placement on this map is fine. Just make it link up to that single bit somehow.

Thanks a lot man, haven't mapped in a while and I thought I'd test my skill. :)

> SL

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Hack: N/A
    Name: Southerlin Summit
    Base Rom: FireRed
    Credits: Xiros, Alistair, Kyldove, Saurav, Newtiteuf
    Shot:
    Spoiler:

Notes: Revised version. Took some of Quilava Master's suggestions.
    some empty space good tree placement natrual montains kind of simple.
    very good but not that orignal
    8.5/10

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • some empty space good tree placement natrual montains kind of simple.
    very good but not that orignal
    8.5/10
    I can understand where you are coming from with the empty space deal(because I used to HATE it), but honestly, empty space is a good thing as long as it isn't overused. Think about playing that map. It would be sort of mazey, but enough walking space to make it fun. You only see little areas of the map at one time, so you won't mind that much empty space.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • SKIPPED AGAIN!

this is an area which is only a few feet below the peak of cardinal mountain in my map.
    Spoiler:

the southern path of the map leads to the frozen lake, lake mintor:
    Spoiler:

credits to Neti for the Rombase.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I have a brand new map, and a lot better than my other one I posted. :3

Hack: N/A
    Name: N/A
    Base Rom: Ruby
    Credits: Kyledove, Alistait, Zeikku, Jesse[TB Pro]
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Map Name: None
    Game: Emerald
    Comments: I just posted this in the Map of the Month thread and decided to get some reviews at the same time. I know some people don't like this natural style of mapping. If you're one of them, then don't even bother reviewing unless you're going to give some real advice.
    Hey! ...this is really good!
    The underlying concept is fantastic and it seems like the type of map that would be so fun to play through in-game! I like the fact that the path runs sort of tangent to the lake and how the lake is down a level from the path. The way you did the mountains is also really cool, in some unexplainable way^^ (though there're some tile errors at the base of the hill on the north-western edge of the lake :O ). The ledges are a nice touch but the southern one seems a little weird to me :\ Also, I don't like the style that you used for placing tress but I'll bet that it took a heck of a lot of time so kudos to you for that ;D Paths are good, grass placement is great, only a few tile errors. Overall, this is one of the best maps I've seen in a long time, not because of excellent mapping per se, though there definitely is some of that ;), but because of the idea behind the map. It's really neat!
    Looking forward to more maps of this quality from you =)

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Hey! ...this is really good!
    The underlying concept is fantastic and it seems like the type of map that would be so fun to play through in-game! I like the fact that the path runs sort of tangent to the lake and how the lake is down a level from the path. The way you did the mountains is also really cool, in some unexplainable way^^ (though there're some tile errors at the base of the hill on the north-western edge of the lake :O ). The ledges are a nice touch but the southern one seems a little weird to me :\ Also, I don't like the style that you used for placing tress but I'll bet that took it a heck of a lot of time so kudos to you for that ;D Paths are good, grass placement is great, only a few tile errors. Overall, this is one of the best maps I've seen in a long time, not because of excellent mapping per se, though there definitely is some of that ;), but because of the idea behind the map. It's really neat!
    Looking forward to more maps of this quality from you =)
    Yay! That's the kind of review I like to see. The long kind.

Anyway, I don't think it's nearly as good, but here's another.
    Map Name: None
    Game: Emerald
    Comments: It was good in theory, but it just doesn't actually look very good. If you look closely at the way the lines move, it makes the shape of an R, with the river as an outline of the letter, which was basically what I was trying to do, and it does look pretty cool. I just think the bottom mountain looks kinda stupid. To be honest... I gave up on it and just rushed to finish as quickly as possible... so I'm mostly just posting to show off the map. I definitely would still appreciate some reviews though. Maybe I will get an idea to make it better from one of them.

I decided to connect these last two maps just for fun, but they don't match up very good. I'll post what I did to fix that problem... well, when I'm done with it.

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
  • Map Name: Lui Checkpoint
    Map Game: firered
    Comments: none
    rombase:~SSKD Project~
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • I have a brand new map, and a lot better than my other one I posted. :3

Hack: N/A
    Name: N/A
    Base Rom: Ruby
    Credits: Kyledove, Alistait, Zeikku, Jesse[TB Pro]
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Yay! You put my style to good use. Just keep practicing. The paths still seem too diagonal for my like, but meh. I realize there is a ledge there for a script, but it just looks really tacky and out of place. The fence is looks awkward(it may just be the tile), maybe make it less boxy? Also the grass placement is just weirdish, try studying nintendo maps for a little while, and look at where they place it. Anyways, looks a lot better than your last map. I can help you more on MSN if you like.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Map Name: Lui Checkpoint
    Map Game: firered
    Comments: none
    rombase:~SSKD Project~
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    I Have a couple of issues to address on this one, Lets begin.

- Your grass placement is too random, its better in clumps, not individual little patches.
    - Add on to that mountain to the north, I'd hardly call it a mountain, also, you used the wrong stair tile.
    - Tree placement is pretty inadequate, And the houses are a little too close together in my opinion, Put one on the other side.
    - I Find that fence next to the second house a little pointless, not to mention that particular fence has a tile error at the end going into the tree.

Now for the Math.
    10 Overall - 4 Issues = 6 Outcome
    Final Verdict - 6/10

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Can this one Be rated Please?..

Spoiler:

Its The summit of the mountain in my map.

Credits-Neti-Rombase.

Name-Cardinal Summit

Time taken-about 1Hr 15 mins

Please Rate, This is the third time its been posted with no reply!!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Can this one Be rated Please?..

Spoiler:

Its The summit of the mountain in my map.

Credits-Neti-Rombase.

Name-Cardinal Summit

Time taken-about 1Hr 15 mins

Please Rate, This is the third time its been posted with no reply!!
    The rock placement is bad. Just use trees...or anything else(pretty much) to make what you were going for. Placing the rocks in the way you did is like...gross. I guess you were going for a maze-ish map here, but maze maps can look great too. There should be more walking space, as traversing this map would be a *****. Also,you could take some pointers from nintendo with your grass placement. Mountains are alright, but a little square. Look at some maps by Colcolstyles, Disturbed, or sasquatchd00d for some ideas of mountain shape.

~Gibson~

It's not my fault!
    Years
  • Got skipped for some reason^^, but I really want you to rate that map;):

Spoiler:

Credits:
    Xiros
    Kyledove
    Saurav
    WesleyFG

greetz,
    Gibson

Hohoo

SOMG!1
    Years
  • Hack: none (yet)
    Map name: some route
    ROM: Gold
    Comments: I tried to create a scenic route similar to Bond Bridge, 38/39 and Hoenn routes. The player enters it first time from top right and goes southwest.

The map is not finished yet but you get the idea. There are still some quirks around the southern area.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back