• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Name: Pseudobridge(means fake bridge[name has a reason])
    Base:firered
    Comments:
    This map took 2 days and I'm still not happy with it, tell me anything I need to improve on. Also, the boundry block is dark water, so when you see opening in the dark water it is still not passable because the border block
    Spoiler:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I got bored today, as the snow prevented me from going to school.

So I made a random seaside map. It's a bit crammed, But I hope I did it in a good way. Please let me know if I did any mistakes/errors. Thank you :3

Map name: Whatever.
    Game: Firered, slightly edited.
    Comments: Whatever. Think of it as you like.
    Map pic (spoilered, just in case):
    Spoiler:

Thank you. Pokey Out!

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • I got bored today, as the snow prevented me from going to school.

So I made a random seaside map. It's a bit crammed, But I hope I did it in a good way. Please let me know if I did any mistakes/errors. Thank you :3

Map name: Whatever.
    Game: Firered, slightly edited.
    Comments: Whatever. Think of it as you like.
    Map pic (spoilered, just in case):
    Spoiler:

Thank you. Pokey Out!
    Well, the thing I'd say that is the best in this map would be playability. My favourite style. No tile errors spotted. But, here's what I don't like:

• the green/yellow path combined with flowers. It just seems abnormal to me.
    • The bridge goes from sand to ground?
    • some rocks have been placed in a weird position, i.e the ones on the most right of the map.

8.5/10.

adamb241

Pokémon Raging Fury
    Years
  • Hey guys, Its been a while since I've posted some of my maps for review. I will be showed off two maps from my game Pokemon Redemption. All credits for the tiles can be found in the game thread. I can't remember them all off the top of my head. Well here they are;

Spoiler:

Quick Facts - This is the first route encountered in the Estille Region. It was designed by me (basic design credits go to Josh324).

And;

Spoiler:

I noticed the tile errors on the right side of this map so please don't grade me on that aspect, they were fixed, I just didn't want to edit a new picture. Thanks.

Well please give em' a rate. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Name: Village of Umbreon(revised)
    Game: Sunlit Espeon(Fire Red(MasterOfPuppets Base))
    Mapshot: See Attachments
    Comments: I rethought the village.

Please rate like this: Pros < Cons < Rating < Comments / ideas to add.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Map Name: Path to the Hidden House.

Map Game: Fire Red.

I have been out of hacking since around July now so I thought I'd get back into it with some simple maps and see what I could improve about my current style.

Please not the top right and bottom right sections are non-playable and only finished to please me.

Map:
    Spoiler:

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
  • Map name: glacier mountain
    rom: ruby version
    Comments: The ladder on the top of the mountain isnt random, the event just isnt shown.
    The file is in the attachments.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Map name: glacier mountain
    rom: ruby version
    Comments: The ladder on the top of the mountain isnt random, the event just isnt shown.
    The file is in the attachments.

Pros: I can see you have tried to vary the pattern of trees to some extent.

Cons:
    -The mountains are very square and there isn't much variation between each level.
    -Trees look like big blocks of white and are too uniform.
    -Big blue rocks need block editing to put tall grass behind the top.
    -Too much grass overall.
    -Only one tiling error I can see, the ridge of rock that is above the (right) cave entrance shouldn't be there.

Suggestions: The main problem is too many straight lines, try using another tree type and do less 'blocks' of trees. Make the mountain edges more natural by giving them indents and weird shapes - remember to do this for every level but don't make them the same! Also, if you can, find a grass tile with snow on it so it matches everything else.

Rating: 2/10 but with a lot of potential.

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Name: My remake of Route 1 and 2 of Kanto
    Game: Pokemon Sacred Ash (Fire Red)
    Mapshot:
    Route 1
    Spoiler:
    Route 2
    Spoiler:

Comments: Since I haven't been working on it for a while I'd like to see if there good or not. If I get some good feedback then I'll start on the rom again. But if I here there pretty bad there ill just leave this rom. (Please Be Honest)

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Hey guys, Its been a while since I've posted some of my maps for review. I will be showed off two maps from my game Pokemon Redemption. All credits for the tiles can be found in the game thread. I can't remember them all off the top of my head. Well here they are;

Spoiler:

Quick Facts - This is the first route encountered in the Estille Region. It was designed by me (basic design credits go to Josh324).

And;

Spoiler:

I noticed the tile errors on the right side of this map so please don't grade me on that aspect, they were fixed, I just didn't want to edit a new picture. Thanks.

0/10 they are horrible :(
    i'm jk, Umm, I would say 9.5/10 for both
    the first one is 10 and the second one is 9 averaging out to 9.5/10 ;)
    very good, but I think that it would be very easy to miss the cave entrance on the second one, maybe a path would help?

Name: Village of Umbreon(revised)
    Game: Sunlit Espeon(Fire Red(MasterOfPuppets Base))
    Mapshot: See Attachments
    Comments: I rethought the village.

Please rate like this: Pros < Cons < Rating < Comments / ideas to add.

Umm, good idea adding the path, but it is very empty the open space is very "uncool" if you can't figure out how to fill it, then I recommend using a smaller map, not to mention the obvious tile errors.

5/10

Name: My remake of Route 1 and 2 of Kanto
    Game: Pokemon Sacred Ash (Fire Red)
    Mapshot:
    Route 1
    Spoiler:
    Route 2
    Spoiler:

Comments: Since I haven't been working on it for a while I'd like to see if there good or not. If I get some good feedback then I'll start on the rom again. But if I here there pretty bad there ill just leave this rom. (Please Be Honest)

I don't like the first one, the trees are too spread apart, which does not look nice.

second one, you like to spread out your trees randomly don't you?
    Well, it kinda ruined the map ^^'
    other than that they look good :)

on average you get 7.5/10

first one = 8
    second one = 7

adamb241

Pokémon Raging Fury
    Years
  • Just re-posting my thread since it was removed and yadda yadda. So here it is again.

Hey guys, Its been a while since I've posted some of my maps for review. I will be showed off two maps from my game Pokemon Redemption. All credits for the tiles can be found in the game thread. I can't remember them all off the top of my head. Well here they are;

Spoiler:

And;

Spoiler:

558122_DG, thanks for the comment but the cave is suited to fit the story line. Since the strongest trainers are suppose to be in hiding, the cave is out of the way and hard to find if you don't know what you are doing. I'll tell Sully about this potential problem though.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Just re-posting my thread since it was removed and yadda yadda. So here it is again.

Spoiler:

And;

Spoiler:

558122_DG, thanks for the comment but the cave is suited to fit the story line. Since the strongest trainers are suppose to be in hiding, the cave is out of the way and hard to find if you don't know what you are doing. I'll tell Sully about this potential problem though.

Spherical ice kindly put spoilers on for you, scroll up.

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    I don't like the first one, the trees are too spread apart, which does not look nice.

second one, you like to spread out your trees randomly don't you?
    Well, it kinda ruined the map ^^'
    other than that they look good :)

on average you get 7.5/10

first one = 8
    second one = 7
    Well, I was going for a forest map so i randomly put them together.(since forest trees don't all grow in a line like most maps everyone posts)

rokrdude

POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Game name: Pokemon Sinnoh Quest
    Map Name: Trainers paradise
    Comments: I have inserted some new tiles Pleases rate it
    (Credits to weasley fg, atomica, cnc ,paranoid and 874521 for the tiles)
    P.S- Please dont comment about tile errors relating to path I am in process of inserting some new paths

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I got bored today AGAIN, so I made another random piece of map.
    On this one I wanted to try out mapping ocean routes, which I've never done before, and I got bored, so I made it a very, very, very small town too. Ah well.

Here it is. FireRed, name unknown, comments above, the usual stuff.
    Spoiler:

I also got the idea to repost the map I made this monday, as I only got about, what was it, one rewiew? So, well, why not?
    Spoiler:

Please rate, comment, love me, and treat me as your king, all the good stuff :pink_tongue:

Pokey Out! :t156:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Map Name: Path to the Hidden House.

Map Game: Fire Red.

I have been out of hacking since around July now so I thought I'd get back into it with some simple maps and see what I could improve about my current style.

Please not the top right and bottom right sections are non-playable and only finished to please me.

Map:
    Spoiler:

Bumping :) Can someone rate please?

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
  • You people are asking for ratings, but not rating peoples maps yourselves. Hence the problem.

Game name: Pokemon Sinnoh Quest
    Map Name: Trainers paradise
    Comments: I have inserted some new tiles Pleases rate it
    (Credits to weasley fg, atomica, cnc ,paranoid and 874521 for the tiles)
    P.S- Please dont comment about tile errors relating to path I am in process of inserting some new paths

Spoiler:
    Your grass palette is a bit too bright. At least, it is for me.

But, this is the map rating thread, not tile/palette so I'll let you get away with it.

I could see this map being in an official game, with minor edits. You've pretty much mastered nintendo mapping. But, you have tile errors. A lot. The top of your cliff needs a different tile I think, and the secret bases look a bit odd. Half of them are inaccessible too. There are also border issues on the ledge with secret bases, as you can walk nearly to the edge of the map. Some of your paths looks a bit uneven, you should probably keep it the same width throughout the map.

Going up the top, you don't need 2 waterfalls going up to the same place, it'll just confuse players. (Big choice, which waterfalls should I go on first... oh, same place...) There are also more secret base tile errors.

Down the bottom, it's fairly good, not many errors, except the boat. You need more of the shallow walkable water around it. And rocks. Other option is use the block editor the take the shallow water off the boat.

Afterthought: Build a bridge near the top of the first waterfall, where the paths are cut off with water.

It's a nice map overall, though with many errors. I rate it 7/10
    Fix the errors, come back and it'll probably be better.

(I'm Captain Obvious)

I got bored today AGAIN, so I made another random piece of map.
    On this one I wanted to try out mapping ocean routes, which I've never done before, and I got bored, so I made it a very, very, very small town too. Ah well.

Here it is. FireRed, name unknown, comments above, the usual stuff.
    Spoiler:

I also got the idea to repost the map I made this monday, as I only got about, what was it, one rewiew? So, well, why not?
    Spoiler:

Please rate, comment, love me, and treat me as your king, all the good stuff :pink_tongue:

Pokey Out! :t156:

Map 1:
    This town looks messy at first glance, but then I look again and it sort of looks not as messy. It is cramped, but that sort of makes sense for this map. Anyway, I can't see any tile errors, and the only slight thing that bothers me is that little bit of water that sneaks down between pokécenter and house. Though, I suppose it would look better with than without :\.

Overall, probably 9/10.
    1 off because I'm not a fan of sea routes, and to give a 10 I have to absolutely love the map.

Bad reason, I know.

Map 2:
    You've already had a rating for that map. And, I've already given you a rating.

I'm lazy, so I'll just give you a number.
    10/10

Bumping :) Can someone rate please?

This is a nice map, though a bit too simple to play through. But it makes up for that in beauty. But maybe that's just the tiles. When I look closer I can see your trees are too squarely placed, and that bit at the middle-left, with the small trees is a bit odd. Also, your grass is completely avoidable. Not good for playability. Lastly, can you tell me where you got those tiles, and is there a ROM Base? They're pretty good.

Now for a rating, probably 8/10. I'm tempted to give it higher, but it's all the tiles. 8/10 is what Firered tiles would get it, so 8/10 is what it gets.

Years
  • MAP NAME:
    Ice Valley

MAP GAME:
    Fire Red

COMMENTS:
    The very first map I ever made. Used it to try and enter a hacking group (dont remember which one anymore) but they didnt like it. Havnt mapped anything since that time (almost a year). Im trying to get back into it again now though.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • MAP NAME:
    Ice Valley

MAP GAME:
    Fire Red

COMMENTS:
    The very first map I ever made. Used it to try and enter a hacking group (dont remember which one anymore) but they didnt like it. Havnt mapped anything since that time (almost a year). Im trying to get back into it again now though.
    Let's see here... I'm actually quite fond of that map. the puzzles look good, and the map is balanced... Not in a pro's kind of way, but this sure is a good map for a first try on caves (or is it a route, perhaps?), believe me.
    But there are ALWAYS some con's... Sadly.

Firstly I notice there are alot of big square places in the cave/route with nothing in them. That can never be good, now can it? I'd like some rocks and/or "paths", to fill space. And making the cave walls a little random is always a good thing to try, thinking this isn't a place done by humans (or... is it??? Probably not). You have done a pretty good job on balancing the squariness/randomness on some parts of the place, but you have to work on the whole map.

It seems to me that you've been doing a route, is that so?

If so, then I, first thing I think of, really don't think the tiles fit. They're for caves. Routes need grass, and those tiles don't have grass. And it looks like a cave.
    But then, if you actually made a cave, then it doesn't really fit either, as the exits/entrances to the north and south should only be used for routes and towns...

But ah well, there are SOME tile errors, like the ones by the water, but it's not that bad. oh, and border problems, avoid those. Could be easily fixed by making the map a little bigger tho.

For a first try, this is quite good.

So... I'm gonna give it a ... 7.6/10.

Wish ya good luck on trying to get into the group ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back