• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
  • The grass is ugly, the trees are okay and the houses are =|. Also, it's in 2.75D. Makes it horrible.

Ugph. Uhm, well, the placement of the rocky-things is really nice. Random but not overly done. The shape of the cave is nice as well, and the large cavern spaces make it really realistic yet to the game as well. The fact that you can go back to the cave later and find something else (it's not compulsory, right?) is cool too. I'm supposing that little block to the left contains some sort of item, which is, once again, awesome and incredibly in-character with the game (can't think of any other word, lol). The shape of the map is really nice, and although it might get tight in some places, it's generally really playable.

However, the mountain gap parts just south of the top path, south of the surf-exit and to the right of the south exit irk me. If you just joined them together, I'd think they'd look smoother.

Is that in-depth enough for you? xD

Also, I have a map.

Zubat Cavern:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Self-explanatory, right? xD
    Yes, it is self-explanatory, but, question: Is this map supposed to be playable? If not, then this is pretty good, about a 9.8/10, the right wing has a single-path walkway. But if this isn't for a hack of some sort, then 10. Even though it'd be nice to get in Zubat's head...

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Thought I should post some stuff from Nirvana EX, even if I don't want to.

Spoiler:

The big house is Wesley's, and I'm not going to use that.
    Credits to: Zein (slightly edited) Pals/Tiles, Kyledove Pals/Tiles, Novus Pals/Tiles, Me Pals/Tiles/Map

(NO this won't be released as rombase.)

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
    Years
  • Thought I should post some stuff from Nirvana EX, even if I don't want to.

Spoiler:

The big house is Wesley's, and I'm not going to use that.
    Credits to: Zein (slightly edited) Pals/Tiles, Kyledove Pals/Tiles, Novus Pals/Tiles, Me Pals/Tiles/Map

(NO this won't be released as rombase.)

10/10

It's quite perfect, I like the cozy it gives off. Plus the flowers in the trees and around the town give a nice balance of color to mix with the green. I also liked the wind turbines, it gives off the illusion of wind blowing through the town. It's pretty much the perfect example of a town, it'd be great to play in, ingame.

~Trebuh~

Jiggles, The legendary fairy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Hack Name: None At the Moment
    Map Name: Route 1

Here's mine, Please Rate it.
    Credit goes to:
    Kyledove
    Alistair
    Novus
    Alucus

NOTE: I Tried to make a Nintendo-styled map, refraining from using my own Style, But oviously, I failed :(

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Hack Name: None At the Moment
    Map Name: Route 1

Here's mine, Please Rate it.
    Credit goes to:
    Kyledove
    Alistair
    Novus
    Alucus

NOTE: I Tried to make a Nintendo-styled map, refraining from using my own Style, But oviously, I failed :(

Spoiler:
    I like this. The mountain tiles' squariness confuses my senses, but that doesn't matter here.
    I love what you did to the trees and the grassland, it just doesn't get alot better than that. The mountains are above average, and so is tall grass/paths. Some things I don't like is slight misuse of the mountain tiles, like putting mountain on grass tiles where mountain on mountain tiles would have worked better, and the little random change to earth tiles at the right part of the map, where the player can't even go. That just turns me off, but it's no biggie. I must say that the tiles always does alot, especially as I'm a tile person, but I tried my best not to rate based on that. 9,5/10, this is good :D

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Fire Red
    Hack: Pokemon Sacred Flame
    Name: Route 2
    Comments: Connected all four ways, sorry for the lame puzzle lake.
    Spoiler:

Name: Grand Lake 1
    Comments: Don't worry about the lake, I'll make a puzzle for it when I'm finished with all of it. It is also connected all four ways.
    Spoiler:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Map Name: None

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: This map is the epitome of just winging it. I originally was thinking I should do a town that you can only enter through the ocean, so I decided to just draw the mountains, and somehow, I ended up with this.
    Ignore border errors, it's not actually going to be used in a hack, so it doesn't really matter. The idea is that you come up by water on the right side, and go north to find a town. When you're done in the area, you go back out by water on the left side. (It looks like the middle set of rocks doesn't keep going, but it does.)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • Map Name: None

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: This map is the epitome of just winging it. I originally was thinking I should do a town that you can only enter through the ocean, so I decided to just draw the mountains, and somehow, I ended up with this.
    Ignore border errors, it's not actually going to be used in a hack, so it doesn't really matter. The idea is that you come up by water on the right side, and go north to find a town. When you're done in the area, you go back out by water on the left side. (It looks like the middle set of rocks doesn't keep going, but it does.)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Yet another great map! Since this isn't going to be used in a hack, I can't take points for border, so this gets a 10/10 'cause I can't see a single thing wrong with it! :)

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • Name: Ashwood Forest
    Game: Aqua Sapphire (BPRE)
    Comments: Not meant to be terribly complex or difficult to get through, just atmospheric. Until I do a bit of tile editing, it's slightly difficult to notice the exits.

Spoiler:

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • Name: Ashwood Forest
    Comments: Not meant to be terribly complex or difficult to get through, just atmospheric. Until I do a bit of tile editing, it's slightly difficult to notice the exits.

Spoiler:
    I'd give this about 8.5/10 (but my ratings are a little, well...).
    The map is pretty good, imo. But, it's a little bright... I hope the exits are at the bottom left and right, 'cause that's what it looks like. It may also look better with a few more of the 1x3 trees, 'cause you have an abundance of the larger ones, but not very many smallers...

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Also, I have a map.

Zubat Cavern:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

I think it's a great map. Let me guess a cave filled with nothing, but Zubats? Hate to burst your bubble, but I think we have enough of those. :P

Anyway, caves aren't symmetrical so you shouldn't make it symmetrical.

10/10

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    Ohkay- this is my first map since last May (almost a year!) so i don't expect good ratings- but if you do go back and see my work from back then you can tell i'm definitely not as bad sooo... yeah
    Rom: Fire Red
    Name: None
    Notes- the building near the top is a Team _____ HQ..... that's pretty much it

The grass is ugly, the trees are okay and the houses are =|. Also, it's in 2.75D. Makes it horrible.

Ugph. Uhm, well, the placement of the rocky-things is really nice. Random but not overly done. The shape of the cave is nice as well, and the large cavern spaces make it really realistic yet to the game as well. The fact that you can go back to the cave later and find something else (it's not compulsory, right?) is cool too. I'm supposing that little block to the left contains some sort of item, which is, once again, awesome and incredibly in-character with the game (can't think of any other word, lol). The shape of the map is really nice, and although it might get tight in some places, it's generally really playable.

However, the mountain gap parts just south of the top path, south of the surf-exit and to the right of the south exit irk me. If you just joined them together, I'd think they'd look smoother.

Is that in-depth enough for you? xD

Also, I have a map.

Zubat Cavern:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

lol it took me 2 minuets of staring at it to notice it was a zubat- NONETHELESS you get a10/10- flawless cave by an excellent mapper :D

Last edited:

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 1
    Hack: Pokemon WaterBlue
    ROM: FireRed
    Comments: The hack itself takes place after the events in G/S/C 2yrs later, and Route 1 has been redesigned as people traveling between Viridian City and Pallet Town have complained about the wild pokemon
    EDIT: I ust noticed the grass and tree errors, I'll make the corrections soon.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Name: Ashwood Forest

Spoiler:

Well, I'm not a particular fan of the palettes for it (I mean, the trees just almost mesh too much with the grass, and the flower palette is awkward with the palettes of the rest of the vegetation) but the mapping is not bad. I like the whole idea of it, the large tree placement. However, I'm not really liking where you put the 1x3 trees; it seems almost as if you were simply using those as fillers, like to fill up space. I would rather put some people there instead, and move some of those 1x3s closer to the large trees; it makes more sense to me that way, and looks a bit less awkward in my opinion. Flower placement is decent, not much to say there. I wish you would use a tiny bit more of that path in the map, maybe as a space filler instead of the 1x3 trees. The square by the entrance is sort of pointless if you don't continue the path elsewhere in the map. The shadow of the 1x1 trees is too dark to match the rest of the shadows (or at least it looks that way) - you may want to correct that. Hope I helped you out a bit, but don't take my opinions to heart.

Yeah, just reposting. To me, the right wing (from our perspective) looks awkward. Should I just make it symmetrical?

Nah, it looks fine. I wish you would do something to make the head playable, though.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Alright, I edited it some.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Now the head (well, mouth at least) is reachable. =|

I know there's an error in the stairs, pretend the bottom set is one tile to the left.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    Alright, I edited it some.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Now the head (well, mouth at least) is reachable. =|

I know there's an error in the stairs, pretend the bottom set is one tile to the left.

i actually like it- it doesn't look like a tile error to me- just creative license :)
    10/10 because i like caves that look like zubats

Last edited:

Omega Zero

Is back...
    Years
  • MAP NAME: Mentai Town
    Game: Fire red
    Credits:
    Nepse Tree tiles
    Shinybill For the rock climb tile
    Wesley FG Headbutt tree tile
    Alucus_Of_Borg Mountain Tiles