• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    Showing off some new content: A new map in development. Only a small portion of the map shown. Obviously the project is continuing.

Link to his Deviantart and the map.
    http://plutomaniacx.deviantart.com/art/City-City-Village-194976765

The map is amazing, don't change anything about it. The paths work, the mountains are well placed, and I'm surprised to see those trees being used so well in a Pkmn game. Good Job.

9.4/10

Side Note: Looks more like a town than a city or village, because of the brightness.

WackyTurtle

Developer
    Years
  • Showing off some new content: A new map in development. Only a small portion of the map shown. Obviously the project is continuing.

Link to his Deviantart and the map.
    http://plutomaniacx.deviantart.com/art/City-City-Village-194976765

Very nice map. I like what you did with the scale - making the NPCs smaller gives the town a more realistic look. My only criticism is perhaps the map has too many small bushes, but that may be me just nitpicking.

Rating: 9/10

Last edited:

WackyTurtle

Developer
    Years
  • Hello, I made a few maps for my upcoming game, can you offer some constructive criticism? Thank you!

Map Name: Fevertree Town

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: The starting town in my game. The top few trees got cut off, by the way. Also, I got this straight from RPGXP, so don't worry, there are people here! :)

Spoiler:

Map Name: Route 01

Comments: Just a normal route from Fevertree Town to Fevertree Forest.

Spoiler:

Map Name: Fevertree Forest

Comments: The forest where you find a portal-type...thing. Ignore the neon pink area, that's just temporary until I create a sprite for the portal texture.

Spoiler:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • chriskid198

Happy New Year!
    Years
  • 7/10

The map looks pretty good.
    Nice Non-linear tree placement, and nice flowing non-blocky mountains.

The map is a little cramped though.
    A little more space would be pretty good in this case.

Otherwise, really nice map!
    Thank you! I spent quite a bit of time on it.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Map Name: Un-named.

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP.

Comments: First version of the stater town for my game. Pokemon Onyx Version.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2d0007d.png

The map itself isn't too bad, but you really shouldn't mix FR/LG sprites with R/S/E sprites (in this case, the NPC sprite and a sign are both from R/S/E). The two different series of games have completely different art styles and are drawn from a different perspective.

It's not that big of a deal in the map you've shown us, but you really should get out of the habit for future maps.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
    Years
  • The map itself isn't too bad, but you really shouldn't mix FR/LG sprites with R/S/E sprites (in this case, the NPC sprite and a sign are both from R/S/E). The two different series of games have completely different art styles and are drawn from a different perspective.

It's not that big of a deal in the map you've shown us, but you really should get out of the habit for future maps.
    They are just the defaults for Essentials. Future maps will (Hopefully) have custom tiles. And that overworld is just there to remind me of things. Kinda like a diary xD

And I don't think that the tiles clash too much.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2022
    Wow, thats Amazing, amazing(ok... pun intended:p)
    It looks really cool, like, the nature aspect is so prominent, because nature is random and man, you really encapsulated that, this map is sooo good.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • Here's the map to the 6th Gym Leader town, Ravensdale Summit. The Pokemon Gym Battle will take place on the roof of the building, as that hasn't been done before to my knowledge. The Gym Leader is based on my good friend, John, and he is a Flying type gym leader. Share your thoughts on map design if you'd be so kind.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Here's the map to the 6th Gym Leader town, Ravensdale Summit. The Pokemon Gym Battle will take place on the roof of the building, as that hasn't been done before to my knowledge. The Gym Leader is based on my good friend, John, and he is a Flying type gym leader. Share your thoughts on map design if you'd be so kind.

Spoiler:

The map shouldnt be for a Town, should be for a route..

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years

Spoiler:

It's a nice looking map, but in places like southeast of the Pokecenter there are errors. On one side the mountain is two tiles tall, and on the other side it's only one tile tall. Other than a few small errors like that it looks good.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years

Spoiler:

4/10

A really average map.

There's absolutely NOTHING especially interesting about it.
    It's really bland.

It's pretty much just snow and mountains.

Ideas:
    Either add a LOT of more mountains and make the map smaller,
    or add Trees on top of all the mountains.

Also: Try to find some sort of path that fits with the snow.
    ONLY snow doesn't look very good.

I really like your natural mountain mapping though.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • 4/10

A really average map.

There's absolutely NOTHING especially interesting about it.
    It's really bland.

It's pretty much just snow and mountains.

Ideas:
    Either add a LOT of more mountains and make the map smaller,
    or add Trees on top of all the mountains.

Also: Try to find some sort of path that fits with the snow.
    ONLY snow doesn't look very good.

I really like your natural mountain mapping though.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm generally not a fantastic mapper, but I'm trying. At least my game is already up to its 6th gym leader. About half way done with all the mapping in the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2013
    Here are the Region Map and the First Town and Route of my Region. I make them all in PaintBrush. I am would love some response and criticism on how to improve.

Years
  • Map Name: Commander's Keep
    Map Editor: RPG Maker VX

Comments: Not much of a map, but, I've been experimenting with some different tones. I revamped it a few times, but, I'm... not pleased with this result, but, it'll stay for the mean time. Any suggestions or is it fine as it is?

Screenie

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • In an attempt to help with the revival of this thread:

Cemetery Hill (warning, huge map):
    Spoiler:

Tile credits: Kymotonian, Boomxbig, Ultimospriter, Me

Note: The random "60" is an FPS counter I forgot to remove & I only tiled the bits of the map you can actually see in-game. You can see an HQ version on my DeviantArt (link in sig).

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • @Mind Reader:
    You need to put more detail into the mountains of your hometown, it's rather empty right now. The first route looks okay. Just add some flowers or rocks etc. to your maps, and they'll look a lot nicer.

@Dr. Octogonapus:
    It looks good, but I'd remove the walls near the stairs, it's rather weird to have stairs leading up to walls.

@Rossay:
    Fantastic! I love the random tree placement, as well as the general layout of the map. I do think you've used a bit too much tall grass there, considering this is a map with only one entrance/exit. I know the ledge will save you time backtracking, but still there's too much grass in there. You might want to decrease encounter rates, so it'll get less frustrating traveling through it.

Back