• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mario Kart 8 thread

Years
    I'm a bit tempted to buy a Wii U just for Super Smash Bros, and Mario Kart 8. Those are those games that you buy the console just to play. Kind of like what Power Stone was to the Dreamcast for me at least.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Screenshots are old. Gifs time!

Mario Kart 8 thread

Mario Kart 8 thread

Years
    Decided to pick this up, going to stop by my GameStop tomorrow if all goes well. :) It's just too hard to resist the charm of MK8. I feel left out!

You feel left out? You have the game, and the system at least! XD Meanwhile I'm jealous of everyone else who has played the game ;;

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Ok, so I've unlocked the Golden Kart and Golden Wheels today. The devs were merciful enough for us to unlock the Golden Kart by getting at least star for each cup per cc (seeing as it's pretty difficult to get all three stars for later cups in 150cc and Mirror Mode), but getting the Golden Wheels was a pain to get, as I had to beat all the Ghost Staffs in Time Trial (some of which I had to soft reset everytime I screw up a turn), but at least I learned where to get the rest of the stamps (I've finally unlocked all 90 stamps). Now I just need collect 10,000 coins in order to unlock the Golden Glider in order to complete the game at 100%, but I do wonder if coin collecting during online races count just like in MK7.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    but I do wonder if coin collecting during online races count just like in MK7.
    I'm sure that they do. After a session of online, I got a bunch of new parts. Funny enough, I had to go back to the menu select back and forth as the game only shows one new part unlocked.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I did like this game, but ... I honnestly was expecting more :/
    But Mario Kart is always good!! :)
    I like the roster but not as much as I expected. Maybe my brother didn't unlocked him but.... I didn't see Drybones!!! :(

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I did like this game, but ... I honnestly was expecting more :/
    Heh. Just ranted about it on Twitter.

Basically, the game is barebones as hell. All it has is basic racing, which doesn't feel rewarding. You race, you learn nothing. You don't improve. The racing is just so, so basic that it's so easy to get bored of. Don't get me wrong, the racing itself? Fun. But for how long? Definitely not more than a 15 minute session.

I see everyone saying the online is the meat of the game. But why? What difference is there from offline with CPU? It's not like Street Fighter where real players can do stuff CPU's can't, so what's the difference? Sure, they're a little better, but who plays MK to win? Isn't the fun in the racing itself, not the competition? It's why online = offline to me. Local multiplayer is different because we can actually interact with each other, and react with each other. But a person online is no different from a CPU to me. Hell, at least offline has VARIETY. Online is just full of Rosalina or heavyweight racers, it's monotonous.

When I'm ahead, I don't feel like it's because of my own skills. Is there even any skill in the game? It's SO basic. Compared to Super Circuit which actually has depth in its racing that it can be borderline F-Zero. Unlike MK8 though, Super Circuit can get away with not having much content (and it has MORE than MK8, at least) because the core racing is REWARDING. Everyone loved MK DS because of the CONTENT. Battle mode and mission mode are just as fun as the racing, so switching between them keeps everything fresh. There's nothing like that with MK8.

Mario Kart 8 is fun. It is fun as hell. But only for 15 minutes.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I watched a bit of a livestream of it on Twitch a few days ago and it does look awesome, but I don't know if I'll buy a Wii U just for it. I'm not really familiar with other Wii U titles.

Years
    This is basically what I think of Mario Kart 8 in a really long post. I have decided to put it in a spoiler because it is a long post, and I'm not sure if any of you want some of the things getting spoiled, as in you want to find out by yourself, so I'm putting it in the spoiler to be safe! :)

Spoiler:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Hmm, I do agree that local multiplayer is just always more fun than online. It's being there with friends. Of course, if you race against people you know online, it's also similar too in that regard - obviously not the same as going to a friend's place to play games (guess what I'm doing today? :V), but better than racing random people.
    Battle mode and mission mode are just as fun as the racing
    Yeah, I liked missions too. Yet to actually try the battle mode in MK8, should do so soon.

The character roster is just downright terrible in my opinion. I don't understand what they were thinking with some of these. First of all, Pink Gold Peach
    Indeed. Would be way better if they actually used some characters from side games. What if you could go against, say, some characters from the Paper Mario series? Or E. Gadd from Luigi's Mansion? Never mind more iconic ones you mentioned like Diddy Kong and Boswer Jnr.

At least Waluigi is back. :>

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    All of a sudden, you guys are now starting to bash the game? I thought /v/ would be the only place where the MK8 bashing takes place. And hang on a second, you're now starting to realize the roster is terrible? I thought you guys said the characters shouldn't matter due to the drivers' weight only affecting the vehicles' performances in the previous Mario Kart thread?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    My siblings and I played all the cups last night!! It is really fun - I LOVE some of the newer courses. They all look really nice. :)

I used the Mach Bike exclusively in Mario Kart Wii and the newer bikes seem to drift slightly different so it keeps throwing me off, haha. But I'll get used to it. :3

also yeah, the roster is a little strange. Why do we have Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach instead of... literally anything else? I barely play any Mario games so I have no idea who all the Bowser kids are.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    i got mario kart 8 yesterday and i have loved every single minute of it. i have unlocked all of the characters and tons of kart customizations. my favorite character is either baby luigi or baby rosalina. i dont like the fat characters cuz theyre hard to turn and stuff. but i noticed that whichever way you tilt the analog stick when you do your tricks makes a different trick come out. my favorite tricj is the barrle roll especially when i use the steel driver. it looks like a freakin torpedo shooting through the air. and i love the anit gravity. such a great add on. but i feel like the hang gliding thing has gottena little bit tougher to control. and i dont get much air with characters that weigh less. but i still love the game. once my internet isnt so poopy i can start playing online! IM SO EXCITED!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Just a rumor, as in, this might be fake, but, supposedly there might be a DLC?

Mario Kart 8 thread

Mario Kart 8 thread

Rumored to have more characters and a new mode.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Can I just say I'm literally obsessed with this game right now?

My roommate and I continuously race one another all the time since we got it and just a couple nights ago we dragged along our friends to play with us for a few hours. Oh my god it was so amazing. Last night we tried the Battle mode too and wow I love the jousting effect. I think I'm going to turn on 'Hard CPU' soon since we're getting the hang of it too well.

Oh yeah and I know a few complaints have been laid out regarding this but I'm honestly super stoked about all of the Koopalings being included in the madness. Namely because I'm slightly in love with Larry, Iggy, and Lemmy. Their designs have always appealed to me, and I love being able to play as them.

Also, best MK game if you ask me. And I've played most if not all of them.

Gonna go play some more now!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Also, best MK game if you ask me. And I've played most if not all of them.
    You think so? I don't think the game has anything going for it at all aside from fantastic track designs, but that's a series staple.

It doesn't have the tight and deep racing that Super Mario Kart or Mario Kart Super Circuit has, nor does it have the amount of content Mario Kart DS does. I really wouldn't call it the best personally, but I ranted about it already on this very page. Coming off Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed which had a great amount of content this...is really barebones. I don't think it even tops Sonic Transformed (the PC version anyway) let alone other Mario Karts.

Maybe 10 years of F-Zero GX made me critical when it comes to racing games in terms of racing mechanics and content.
    Just a rumor, as in, this might be fake, but, supposedly there might be a DLC?

Mario Kart 8 thread

Mario Kart 8 thread

Rumored to have more characters and a new mode.
    It's fake.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    the rumor is that kamek diddy kong professor e gadd birdo and that water yoshi dinosaur thing from super mario 3d world would be playable characters. i dont know about any other new modes

EDIT: the new modes are bob-omb blast where you blow people up and shine thief which i guess is just like coin runners/shine runners.

Last edited:
    Back