• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Marvel vs Capcom 4: Infinite

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • I gotta hand it to UMVC3 and its competitive scene. Despite the game lasting longer than anything else right now, the metagame itself has changed and not because of patches, but the players themselves have defined what was strong and what was god-tier strong. Heck, EVO2016 pretty much changed the entire landscape of UMVC3..

Anyway, I'm glad that we're finally having MVC4 as a follow up to a game that has lasted for how god knows what. As usual, I'm holding back my HYPETRAIN vibes for more objective skepticism.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • It's Mahval Baby?

- Hey, Capcom remembered Megaman exists! And, they brought X of all people! Aside from PxZ, this is actually X's true crossover since his incarnation lol. No, Smash 4 and UMvC3 costume doesn't count.
    - Captain Marvel! She's an okay choice.
    - RIP X-Men. Good night, sweet mutants. Not confirmed, but it's highly likely that's the case. A MvC game without Wolverine feels wrong.
    - 2v2 is cool. Harkening back to the roots of the series.
    - Infinity Stones. Okay, why are people confusing these for SFxT gems? If anything, it's going to be how MSH did the Infinity Stones. Which means, broken as shit buffs, lol. Ideally, I hope they're more like Grooves in CvS2.
    - Sigma + Ultron teasing.

So, that was cute. But, I'm not hyped, lol. Capcom's track record hasn't been so well, and they're handling with SFV has been unfortunate, in the lightest of words. Again, I have to bring up the idea of a MvC game without Wolverine is still weird. I get that Marvel has an incentive to push the MCU and what not, but at least give Logan some love. Who knows, though? Maybe Capcom is going to sneak him in somewhere.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'm hoping that Cappycom actually learned alot from SF5's HILARIOUS launch. Single player Arcade mode is still important mmkay?

Also, if they ever wanted to bring back Megaman (or X) at least given how MN9 kinda dun goofed, they could if they had the brains to do so.

And yes, back to 2v2... well honestly I loved the 3v3 format because there was a sense of team building and team synergy, like the good ole days of Strider/Doom or of course the ever popular (or cancerous) Mag/Storm/Psy or MSP, or if we jump into Vanilla MVC3, Wolvie-Kuma (And yes I abused that sh*t with Vanilla/Pre patch Sentinel), or UMVC's Cancerous Morridoom with Vergil Anchor aka BulletHell aka CHRISG.

I'm going to miss those cancerous/fun/lulkek team comps though. It seems that given how Tatsunoko vs Capcom was 2v2, Capcom may have considered going back to basics where people just picked 2 characters who they can play instead of just making team comps and all that meta crud.

Arc

Years
  • SFV has had much bigger problems than that launch, lol. But, Capcom's streak of incompetence is its own brand for a topic. (while on the topic of SFV, congrats to Du for dominating CapCup, lol.)

To be honest, I feel like a lot of players didn't really go the extra mile in team compositions for MvC3. They mainly stuck with double cores and typically slapped on Vergil or Doom to round out the team, if in need of a reliable anchor or assist. Nor did they even optimize current cores; Zero/Doom/Vergil was a stacked team, but its more balanced brother core in Zero/Doom/Dante saw no use, because no one wanted to learn how to use Dante. I really wanted to see more teams like Nemo's Nova/Strange/Spencer, Apologyman's Firebrand/Doom/Skrull, or even RyanLv's Chun/Morrigan/Phoenix from players, those are teams with some interesting synergy and well thought out game plans.

Oh, gameplay. There's no assists, by the way. That's been confirmed.

Fun fact, SFxT v.2013 was an underappreciated game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    4 playable characters ,Buy the rest ?. Really won't be surprise. {XD}

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Looks like Capcom listened to the backlash of not having a variation of Mega Man in MvC3's roster, so now they got their wish, but at the cost of no more X-Men and Fantastic Four characters (until Fox hands the rights back to Marvel Studios). With the Infinity Stones from MSH back, that means Thanos will surely return to the roster. As for the mysterious silhouette, some people are saying it could be Ultron and Sigma fused together, but others say it could the final boss from Super Ghouls & Ghosts.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    As someone who played Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I just worry about Mega Crash (defensive burst) being in it. This nightmare is pretty much the sole deciding factor for me.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't expect an incredibly polished game, but they generally play well enough. It seems like it could carve out a good lifespan for itself.

I think that team composition is lost on most people, so I think it makes sense to shift to more traditional fighter features like they seem to be doing. Many people are simply not willing to learn tech for 3 complex characters and at least one of them almost always seems to suffer in gameplay.

Arc

Years
  • As someone who played Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I just worry about Mega Crash (defensive burst) being in it. This nightmare is pretty much the sole deciding factor for me.
    Care to elaborate? I played TvC as well, heck I actually love it. But, I thought Mega Crash was a fantastic mechanic that worked well as a foil and in conjunction with Baroque.

Hypothetically, if Mega Crash was in MvC:I was in, provided it compliments the game's design and not shoehorned in. I don't really see much flaws with the idea. Unless, we're going with the belief that all Marvel games need to be broken as shit - then yeah, Mega Crash is a terrible thing to add because it's an opposite to that belief.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Care to elaborate? I played TvC as well, heck I actually love it. But, I thought Mega Crash was a fantastic mechanic that worked well as a foil and in conjunction with Baroque.

Hypothetically, if Mega Crash was in MvC: I was in, provided it compliments the game's design and not shoehorned in.

My problem with Mega Crash is not so much the IDEA of having a burst mechanic, it's that IN PRACTICE it tends to do the exact opposite of what it was designed to do, mostly because it uses super meter unlike the burst mechanic from most other games.

Think about it; if you are getting your face beat in, or getting pressured towards the corner (situations of frame/offensive disadvantage), you are generally ALSO losing in terms of super meter, since the attacker is gaining more meter than you.

What tends to happen at higher levels of TvC is that teams like Karas/Ryu or Zero/Alex simply shove you into the corner, and if you do absolutely anything to try to escape, they will simply Mega Crash you right back into the corner. You can even mega crash in response to a defensive mega crash and come out on top because you did yours second. There are even setups where certain characters get a full combo from hitting you with a mega crash into the corner, meaning they get damage, plus most of the meter back, and you are still defending in the corner.

Baroque tended to make this even worse, by giving the approaching attacker a way to get even more super meter (all you needed was a sliver of red health, the actual amount of red tended to be trivial).

Don't get me wrong, Tatsunoko vs Capcom was a fun game, but I'm very wary when it comes to capcom actually EXECUTING gameplay mechanics anymore. At least we live in an age of patching games, but the amount of damage something like that can do to a fighting game's reputation is not easily recovered.

If they can put it into the game in a way that isn't just "shoehorned", I can agree with you and get behind a game like that. Although I do think that people should utilize alpha/crossover counters more. I think the rest of the game will turn out fine, I just don't need that in my life again.

Arc

Years
  • What tends to happen at higher levels of TvC is that teams like Karas/Ryu or Zero/Alex simply shove you into the corner, and if you do absolutely anything to try to escape, they will simply Mega Crash you right back into the corner. You can even mega crash in response to a defensive mega crash and come out on top because you did yours second. There are even setups where certain characters get a full combo from hitting you with a mega crash into the corner, meaning they get damage, plus most of the meter back, and you are still defending in the corner.

Baroque tended to make this even worse, by giving the approaching attacker a way to get even more super meter (all you needed was a sliver of red health, the actual amount of red tended to be trivial).
    Okay, I understand the gripe for a mechanic that's meant to be defensive, it can also be used as an offensive tool. Something that wasn't intended by the developer. Like you said, certain characters have setups, Karas and Zero are the main offenders because those two are heavily reliant on Baroque or resets to do damage and their Hypers - except for Lv.3 - are ass. It also helps that those have some of the best meter-building combos in the game. So, meter to them is just used for Mega Crash, Cross Counter, or Air Raid on the odd occasion for the last two. If that's the case, if you're sitting on a stock of four or five bars, what are you going to use it on?

For the other portions of the cast, they only Mega Crash because they don't want to get combo'd and want corner control; converting it into a combo is just extra and they at best gain one-and-half meters, outside of specific cases (some of them also are distance specific, and you need to be on the ball to confirm from). And sure, you can Baroque to ease the damage scaling and gain more meter, but again, that's a character specific situation where you have to weigh the pros and cons on doing so. I've seen a number of Yatterman-1 players, who rarely Baroque on a Mega Crash and just use it for purely corner control because they'd rather save the Baroque for a reset or conversion.

So, while there are problems with Mega Crash. It's not inherently the mechanic itself is the main problem, just that a handful of characters tend to abuse it more than others - mainly Zero. Besides, Tatsunoko is a very fast paced game. Both you and I know that it doesn't take much to escape from a scramble in the corner and reset back to neutral, despite the possibility of impeccable corner control and perfect play on the attacker - it's rarely seen and there's too much variables for it to ever happen; i.e not optimal distance, wanting to save Baroque, missing the link, and other factors.

About that bold part. Right, why wouldn't that be the case? You can't cancel into a Mega Crash during your active frames. So, the only feasible cases that this happens is that you just baited out a Mega Crash, to which you just made a read, you should get rewarded for that. Though, I'm sure most characters have better punishes than a Mega Crash combo.

Don't get me wrong, Tatsunoko vs Capcom was a fun game, but I'm very wary when it comes to capcom actually EXECUTING gameplay mechanics anymore. At least we live in an age of patching games, but the amount of damage something like that can do to a fighting game's reputation is not easily recovered.
    You're not on that ship alone. There's a good portion of folks being wary about Capcom, in general. Especially, when it comes to anything fighting games related; myself included. Funny that you mentioned patching, though. We already have one egregious case in SFxT, where v.2013 did a decent job in ironing out a good portion of the problems the game had. Except, the fiasco with the on-disc DLC, timer scams being heavily prominent, EVO pushing it to be a four-player game, and with USFIV on the horizon, it did such a number to its reputation where the game was overlooked.

SFV seems to be heading down the same direction if Capcom thinks that changing frame data for Season 2 is enough to solve the fundamental problems with the game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Time to predict the likeliness of Marvel characters based on the information we know about how the roster will be handled.

Guaranteed (Veterans):

Hulk
    Thor
    Hawkeye
    Spider-Man
    Doctor Strange
    Dormammu
    Thanos

Guaranteed (Newcomers):

Black Panther
    Black Widow
    Scarlet Witch