• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Mascots legendary?

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2019
    What will it be mascot legendary pokemon(s) for gen 8? it appears that it's just one pokemon taking the form of sword or shield.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Really curious to see what they are. Based off the title logos, it seems both are based off wolves or some form of canine. Both look like coat of arms, so that makes me feel like it's some sort of medieval theme. I can't wait to see what these look like. Guessing at least one is going to be a werewolf-like monster.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    Black Dog folklore is pretty common across the UK and those snarling heads on the logos are certainly canine...

Years
  • I really don't mind if we get different Canine-esque cover legends. Would be super interesting, at the very least. I do wonder how those canines would revolve around sword and shield though... forgive me, as I'm not all too familiar with what's going on in UK folklore/legend and whatnot.

Years
  • With such unorthodox game names, I'm completely at a loss for what the legendaries could look like and how swords and shields will relate to their design. However, I'm excited to find out. I was a big fan of the S/M legends so I have high hopes.

Years
  • Ice type sword wolf for Pokémon Sword? Purely basing that on the logo for Sword being blue and that Ice type is all offence and basically no defence.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I'm thinking its just 2 wolves, or wolf-like creatures. For sword, a bipedal wolf with like swords for hands or something. For shield, maybe a quadrupedal wolf that's a bit bulkier, maybe armor-plated. Basically a Bastiodon but a dog.

Then the third one has a gun. Just a dog with a gun.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    There's definitely some kind of wolffish Pokémon taking up the legendary role here. Whether or not it's a rehash of any existing Wolf-esque Pokémon (something like a Mightyena mega, or more Lycanrock forms come to mind) is up for debate. I'll be honest though, my first thought was this:
    Spoiler:

JoyStar

We're all mad here...
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    I'm guessing two wolf-based legendaries, each one based either on a character/being from Arthurian legend, or the legend of Romulus and Remus. Probably the former given the region is based on England.

Years
  • You can actually see a statue of a wolf's head on the Galar map - it is prominently featured on the centre of the wall surrounding the castle in the middle of the region. This combined with the wolf heads on the logo leads me to believe that the 'mascot legendaries' of this generation will be wolf based.
    Therefore, I think either there will only be one legendary (which will be a wolf) which appears in both games or two similar looking wolf legendary pokemon which vary between SnS. This would mean that the statue of the wolf head can represent either one with little change. In this scenario, these would be the mascot legendaries with the Sword legendary being attack focused and the Shield legendary being more defence focused (or it could be the other way round, so that you become the sword to break the shield legendary or the shield to stop the sword legendary).
    Either way, I can say with almost complete certainty that the prominent legendary in the story will be a wolf of some type.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I doubt there will only be 1 legendary mascot. I think they will both be wolves and I think they will be based on Hati and Skoll.

If not those two, then there are about 6 or 7 named Black Wolves in UK Folklore. That the can be, but I think it is safe to say there isn't just 1.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm hyped for the special Aegislash formes

We honestly should have seen this coming, since Aegislash is one of, if not the only, non-legendary to use the spelling "forme" instead of "form." Maybe now it won't even be a non-legendary...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I'm guessing two wolf-based legendaries, each one based either on a character/being from Arthurian legend, or the legend of Romulus and Remus. Probably the former given the region is based on England.

I don't know if it would be Romulus and Remus as that is what Black and White Legend was based on with the two brothers. They are basically have the same story in both legends. So I think we can mark out that Legend at least.

However it is possible that Kalos, Unova and Galar's history may be interwined along with Meltan.

Last edited:
    Back