• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Masculinity and Femininity

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
  • I seem to notice that a lot of people seem to get upset over Pokemon looking like they should be one gender while they can be two genders.

Why is that? I mean, I agree on humanoid Pokemon like Machop on term of which gender it should be but most Pokemon are based on animals. Animals have their own way of identifying their genders that is far different than the way we identify our genders.

Nobody complains about Lanturn even though male angler fish look nothing like male Lanturns. Yet, people complain about Lapras being male simply due to it looking beautiful.

Actually, a lot of fans ask for beautiful Pokemon to be female only even though there are a lot of animals that are males are more beautiful then it's females.

And don't even get me started on the pink thing.

Discuss.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • There are male cute rabbits, there are female wolves, there are female muscle-builders (in the case of Machamp) (but god, if Game Freak edit a swimsuit top or something on female Machamps, I'm getting mad). Lanturns are based on angler fish, but they are not angler fish. Therefore it works.

There are masculine women and feminine men, aren't there?

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • So you mean like Peacocks? Males look epic and all that, females look like rodents

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • Well, here are a couple of the biggest offenders:

Machop - Machoke - Machamp
    These Pokemon have all male anatomy traits, even down to the muscle structure. Doesn't that mean that females should have female muscle structure?
    Like Nidoking and Nidoqueen? no.
    And the problem rests there.

Mr. Mime
    it looks like a guy, having guy-like baldness, and note the MR.

Gardevoir
    I get it, it did get a male counterpart in generation VI, but the fact that Gardevoir is completely utterly feminine in shape and form, down to it having a natural dress, adds gender confusion to all those male Gardevoirs.

Lopunny
    ....Just look at it. Tell me that shouldn't be a female only species.

-----

On the whole beautiful thing, I'm fine with having a male Lapras, or whatever. I even prefer having female Xatus.
    In fact, I have a male Tropius that's condition is max beauty, and won all the ribbons, AND got full points so the portrait in the Lilycove Museum is super-sketched.

So yeah, you can call him pretty.

But you know what? You didn't even mean condition. XD

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • Hmm... Here are just some things I have to say for now;

Gardevoir
    Well now... Its physique is feminine, but that doesn't mean it's a female. It's based off of GUARDIAN ANGELS, and for all we know, it could just be a stylized robe!

Lanturn
    IRL, Based off of the Angler Fish. Male Angler fish DWARF female angler fish and they DON'T EVEN HAVE A LIGHT TO SHINE. THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE FINS! But, Pokemon isn't IRL.

Lopunny
    Based on its physique, and the way its sprite is... drawn, it MUST BE BASED OFF OF FEMALE---

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • @Candace Flynn
    What does Gyrados have anything to do with masculinity, please shed light on the subject you have recently so brought up.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • First of all:
    I agree on humanoid Pokemon like Machop on term of which gender it should be.
    I already agree that the humanoid Pokemon should be gender neutal. I'm talking about animalistic Pokemon.

But on a note of Mr. Mime:
    Oh for the love of gosh... It's Japanese name is Barrierd, okay, only it's english name is masculine. Although I will agree that Mr. Mime is a masculine looking Pokemon, it's name shouldn't be the main arguement for it to be male only.

As for Lopunny, its anthromorphic so it's difficult to determine whether it should be all female or not. They probably made it 50/50 so that they wouldn't get in trouble.

Ayselipera

Although some Pokemon look strictly female or male I prefer that they're not all one gender. It makes breeding so much easier.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • Although that would screw with the stuff set up in GenIII, I wouldn't mind Gardevoir being all female. At least it'd make the fanartists happy-- *shot*

But really, you could say that male Gardevoir are a "dying race", so-to-speak, to explain why they cease to exist in future Generations.

Mr. Mime... yes, as someone pointed out previously, that is just the English name (the French borrwed it and made it M. Mime, or something akin to that, where "M." is short for "Monsieur"). Names don't have everything to do with what Pokemon ought to be what gender.

... And... Lapras can't be male? Really, people? It seems pretty gender-neutral to me already.

</discussion-ramble>

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • It would be incredibly ridiculous to remove second genders from some of these Pokemon. It wouldn't make sense for them to survive in the wild if they couldn't breed.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Well I've seen several threads on this matter, and in my opinion, yes there could be some changes.

I enjoy this thread because instead of asking which ones need changing you dare to ask why they need to change. I think it would be overall nice if instead of changing genders to be absolute they could add more of a gender difference. I agree with one of the posters above me, they shouldn't go as far as Machop in a swimsuit, but something like a different shade of color etc., etc.

But this kind of topic has gotten a bit rediculous. I understand, but to a point.

Syphr

Happy to meet new people ^^
    Years
  • So..

Ugly Pokemon that look like they just took 5 pill bottles of 'roids or Pokemon that are agressive are males..

Ever seen those female body builders? If you haven't, don't search for the love of god..don't search.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • Some Pokemon look like they should be one gender or the other, but, as people have said, they wouldn't survive IRL (is it even logical to start thinking about Pokemon situations in real life?!) as their breeding line would cease.

And then you have to think about egg groups. So, if, in an egg group, there is a male-exclusive Pokemon and a female-exlusive Pokemon, the line would continue for the female Pokemon, and the male Pokemon, having no offspring, would die out, which in turn would lead to the declination of the female Pokemon.

So Pokemon should be allowed to be both genders. That way, all the ladyboy Gardevior can be happy frolicking in meadows etc.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • lopunny should really have a male counter part. I think that they need to add more of the male/female differences in the sprites. (like what they did with pikachu) A female machamp, yeah that creeped me out at first sight

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Lopunny does not have breasts in canon. I understand that it's obviously feminine, but there are no boobs to be had until fanfics enter the picture. I can see them getting rid of the Dawn Stone and have the final stage- or heck, make up a counterpart for Kirlia- split depending on gender. It would work for me. I see that some Pokemon look more manly/ wo-manly than others, but we're talking about the same nation that produced Marluxia. They can go either way.

Years
  • OMG IT LOOKZ LIEK A GIRL IT HAZ TO BE FEMAL ONLY!

Seriously, what's wrong with female Machamps and male Gardevoirs? Stereotyping much.

Back