• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Masculinity and Femininity

BenEary

Little Rabbit
Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I was glad that they made a more masculine alternative to Gardevoir. What I didn't like was that they made Gallade male only, while Gardevoir continued to be both. Why couldn't Gallade be both, or have some statement about Hoenn's geography influencing male Kirlia to evolve into Gardevoir so that anywhere else it would be impossible?
    I just hope that if we get a more masculine Buneary evolution, it isn't restricted to only males... for balance between the two.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • I think there could be Female Gyarados. Girls can have worse tempers than Men sometimes :P

I remember reading a thread about Combee/Vespiquen which was along the same lines as this one.
    Beedrill was still better though :L

Tbh Genders never really bothered me. Hello, it's a GAME :p [Well at least that's how I see it!!!! Don't start attacking me :P]

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Back in the older centuries, everyone wears a skirt/dress. It's just that we don't call togas, robes etc a dress/skirt.

Then there are male ballerinas and nurses. *Gasp*

So why should Blissey be female exclusive?

Lo~li~Pop

◕‿‿◕ Happy Smiles! ◕‿‿◕
    Years
  • Well I must say that I am one of those people who will claim a pokemon as male or female based on it's apperience. The reason why I do that is because I feel that that pokemon should be female or male.

Also I think of pokemon as how Ash thinks about pokemon. I, mean whenever I am in a battle I am cherring them on and I just get sorta personal with them.

Now I do know that that was kinda a nerdy thing to say, but that is how I feel.

Oh and I do know that when a pokemon can be both genders that they are needed for breeding, but when I try to either breed or catch I try to find the right gender for that pokemon.

Also some pokemon can be either gender. For example, Sneasle. I feel that it could go either way, but at times I feel it can go more female, exspecially when it is a shiny.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • I was glad that they made a more masculine alternative to Gardevoir. What I didn't like was that they made Gallade male only, while Gardevoir continued to be both. Why couldn't Gallade be both, or have some statement about Hoenn's geography influencing male Kirlia to evolve into Gardevoir so that anywhere else it would be impossible?
    This is the only part I agree with here.

The rest can be both.
    C'mon, there are a lot of real life examples where a girl looks boyish or a boy looks feminine, hormones and such. Why can't that happen in the world of pokemon, too?
    Besides, if most of the concept part is based off animals, there should be both genders everywhere, like real animals.
    Since we're not talking gaming-wise, some pokemon might be considered male or female just by voice sometimes, which is wrong.

All in all, I think that pokemon should stay as they are, with the mere exception of Gardevoir/Gallade.

P.S: Pokemon didn't choose their own names, but humans did. So there can be female Mr.Mimes. It is natural. :/

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • You know, instead of making a "feminine" Machop/Machoke/Machamp appearence.. why don't they just make a female counterpart, like Nidoran?
    Nidoran females can hatch Nidoran male eggs, no?

And it's unfortunate that they named Mr. Mime in english before the introduction of genders.. I'm sure they would have planned that differently.

Cheyanne

I have Yusei Fudo's Zorua.
    Years
  • I get personal with my Pokemon like Ash does...but they can be whatever gender, it's not like I'll be dating them...

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
  • I really don't like when they make one gender only pokemon, mostly because the logic of it all makes no sense. Like Kangaskhan, they are female only, and yet are the best mothers. Don't they need a father in the picture?

I do agree that there are pokemon that look male/female, like Lucario looks more like a boy, while Torchic looks like a girl, but there comes a point where we simply have to accept the funny little things Arceus did to his world /:

Paxy

Aimless Wanderer
    Years
  • I really don't like when they make one gender only pokemon, mostly because the logic of it all makes no sense. Like Kangaskhan, they are female only, and yet are the best mothers. Don't they need a father in the picture?

I do agree that there are pokemon that look male/female, like Lucario looks more like a boy, while Torchic looks like a girl, but there comes a point where we simply have to accept the funny little things Arceus did to his world /:
    Gosh, sometimes Arceus's sense of humor pains me :cer_shifty:

Wobbubobafett

my backpacks got jets
    Years
  • my theory is that male and female means something different to pokemon than to people. Like just because it saids male and female doesn't mean they need x or y chromosomes, their a completely different organism
    from a different planet.

That girl!

Oopsie, my fault.
    Years
  • Well, here are a couple of the biggest offenders:

Machop - Machoke - Machamp
    These Pokemon have all male anatomy traits, even down to the muscle structure. Doesn't that mean that females should have female muscle structure?
    Like Nidoking and Nidoqueen? no.
    And the problem rests there.

Mr. Mime
    it looks like a guy, having guy-like baldness, and note the MR.

Gardevoir
    I get it, it did get a male counterpart in generation VI, but the fact that Gardevoir is completely utterly feminine in shape and form, down to it having a natural dress, adds gender confusion to all those male Gardevoirs.

Lopunny
    ....Just look at it. Tell me that shouldn't be a female only species.

-----

On the whole beautiful thing, I'm fine with having a male Lapras, or whatever. I even prefer having female Xatus.
    In fact, I have a male Tropius that's condition is max beauty, and won all the ribbons, AND got full points so the portrait in the Lilycove Museum is super-sketched.

So yeah, you can call him pretty.

But you know what? You didn't even mean condition. XD

I agree pretty much with this. Machop and its evolutionary stages are very confusing, with all the bulkiness and muscle structure, we would all think that they are male. Not because of the muscles (girls happen to be muscular too y'know..only better haha) but the fact that Machop/Machoke/Machamp don't even bother to wear a shirt! Lol. Well, I assumed they have the human anatomy anyway. I don't have a problem with Mr. Mime, Lapras and Lopunny, by all means, they could be gay and that's okay with me...but Gardevoir! Sheesh, the first time I saw it, I initially thought it was a 'she'. The only pokemon I believe that could be straight (nehh) or could possess a one-true gender. That's why they did have its counterpart after awhile.

I get personal with my Pokemon like Ash does...but they can be whatever gender, it's not like I'll be dating them...

Indeed. I thought about that and...yeah! Why do we even bother with their gender in the first place??
    "...uhm, because they look stupid if a pokemon that looks so pretty is a male and if a pokemon that has massive structures is a female.."
    ~ answered by some heavily-sexuality-disturbed poke-addict
    C'mon, don't males have the right to be pretty? Answer me. Haha

Back