• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mechamon: You got your Pokémon in my Robots: Now with 100% more fangame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    For those of you who had seen my previous thread in the ROM hacking section, due user feedback, and my own lack of ROM hacking ability I have decided to change the project's format over to that of a PC game using the Pokémon Essentials kit in RPG Maker XP, as I felt that I wouldn't be able to realise the full scope of what I wanted Mechamon to be and would probably end up hitting a wall somewhere that I couldn't overcome with my level of ROM hacking knowledge.

For the benefit of others, and because this thread demands it, an overview of the game:

Originating from the festering depths of the robotic wasteland only known as /m/echa, Mechamon is an RPG Maker XP game that seeks to combine two things that many people hold dearly: Children and teenagers running away from home to capture and battle wild animals, often without adult supervision, and children and teenagers running away from home to shoot each other in giant robots, often without adult supervision.

Taking the role of a ten year old child wearing a very stylish piece of headgear, you head out into the world after being given your own deadly robot from an aging Professor, with the intention to capture as many of these destructive creatures as you can find, stuffing small robots into even smaller containers. He might have also asked you to do something, it was hard to hear him over the sounds of laser beams and explosions.

On your travels you will meet a variety of mecha, spanning over 50 years of Japan drawing comics and cartoons designed to get kids to buy as many toys as possible, as well as a sizeable cast of trainers and Gym Leaders also taken from popular mecha productions, standing in the way of your quest to be the very best, like no one ever was.

It's not just the League challenge that you'll have to contend with to realise your dreams though. Lurking in the shadows throughout the region of Not-Japan lies a sinister organisation known as the Titans, who wish to take control of the country, and have the force to back it up. Thankfully for you however, they also adhere to a strong code of honour, and will accept defeat at the hands of a ten year old and their team of small robots, despite the alternative options a large criminal organisation could choose to deal with groups of children.

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

Credits
    This game was created with the help of the resources and materials found in the Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Years
  • There are no posts yet! What a sad situation this is.

This game is interesting and shows promise. I don't think you benefit from the graphical style, though-- why the heck would there be mecha running around in the grass? I reccommend you find some industrial tiles. :3

...One thing that bothers me is the player character's sprite, though. Yeah, I know, it's just a helmet and all, but it's rather disconcerting how inhuman he looks, especially next to his completely human mom. I'd edit him to look more like a human wearing robotic enhancements (so that you can at least see his eyes). S'just me, though.

Do the types have Pokemon equivalents? (as in real=grass, hotblood=fire, etc)?

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    A lot of the more odd things in the game, like 3 foot tall robots living in grassy patches, are generally used for humorous effect and to keep the game more familiar to people who are used to Pokémon games but have seen very little, or any at all, mecha shows and want to play a different take on a Pokemon game. I find it hard to take an overly seriously slant about things being out of place when children are running around with packs deadly robots at their beck and call.

The player character designs were meant to invoke the look of the nameless grunt soldier in a mecha anime, where you would have several characters wearing the same standard-issue outfit for piloting robots. This was later exaggerated to make the character have the helmet on at all times, and then keep the accessories like hats and bags that were taken from the Pokémon characters they were based off. I could probably whip up an option to take the helmets off the characters at one point if I had a spare afternoon.

This was one of the rough drawings I used for the basis of my avatar and the first playable character's design.

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    Haha, I really like the idea of Mechamon, Amazing !
    Only one thing, you should install the Pokemon Fonts, make's your Game looking better ;)

Gigatom~

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    Th, this world....

It's changing right before my very eyes.

As are other things.

zane203

Zetsumei barer
    Years
  • the battler graphics need to be redefined, but other than that looks like one of those weird but cool games lol... kinda like the "no more heroes" of pokemon =3

xD keep me posted on the project dude!

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • I was about to say how the character and the enviroment have diffrent resolutions (diffrent sizes of the black lines)
    but its gotten fixed in the second screenie. the enviroment has been revamped it looks nice.

how much mechamon are there gonna be.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • I lol'd so very hard. I don't think alot of people here will be able to appreciate the beauty of this game. As a fan of Pokemon, video games and mecha, I approve. Specifically, that ability and the name of the town made me lol the most.

Rock on, sir. Rock on.

EDIT: By the way, I love Zephyr's idea of naming the Fire type equivalent "Hotblooded". Mazinger Z would totally have to be Super / Hotblooded type.

Last edited:

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    A couple things to show here:

Firstly is a quick look at the mecha you'll be running into during the early parts of the game (Sprites cobbled together from various sources):

More:
    Spoiler:

And a short video that just shows that i figured out how to make MP3 music loop, and a couple of new pieces of music that'll probably be familiar to most of you.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • Inspirational, Incredible, Need to play XD
    seriously this looks better then Custom Robo Arena AND Fullmetal Alchemist merged together!!!!!!!!

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • not bad looking
    Spoiler:
    But i wonder how the OW's will look

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    not bad looking
    Spoiler:
    But i wonder how the OW's will look

It's not too bad, actually. I've been working on new overworld sprites for the characters which I hope to be able to post soon, which are more detailed then the FR/LG hackjobs i'm using right now and have more fluid animation.

And on another subject, a question I've seen asked a few times both here and in the IRC:

Will Gurren-Lagann/Code Geass/Gundam Wing/Evangelion/Gundam SEED/Eureka Seven/etc be in the game?

Yes. Any fairly well-known or popular mecha show, game or comic will eventually find it's way into this game at some point.

To gain an idea of what series might get a bit more emphasis then others, here is my draft list of the Gym Leaders and Elite Trainers of the game, in no particular order

Spoiler:

Amarantine

The psychic baritone ♠
    Years
  • I'm not a particular fan of Mechas per se, but this is amazing, lmao! The idea is so...abstract and flawlessly pointless, part of its great appeal to me is that it doesn't make any coherent sense! i guess you're working on the back sprites, right? That would make it even more awesome than it already is, hahaha. Great game!

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    While I prefer to get the front sprites from a variety of sources whenever possible to save me time, I can also make some quick and dirty back sprites until I have more time and resoucrs to concentrate on a unified style for front and back sprites.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back