• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mechanics You Disagree With

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Applying realism to game design in a game that isn't realistic to begin with is never a good idea (see: Halo 4). EVs are more than enough to differentiate two of the same Pokemon, and EVs are actually manageable because it's all about training against particular Pokemon. IVs, though, are set right from the beginning. They have no proper purpose (Aside from Hidden Powers, which someone in this very thread complained about, and rightfully so.), and just gimp you along the way because there's a high chance of having a Pokemon with low IVs. Competitive Pokemon all have 31 IVs in their all stats anyway via hacking/RNG abuse because nobody in their right mind would bother breeding for a Pokemon with perfect or amazing IV set. They're pointless.

It's also why I don't get "why isn't [type] stronger/weaker than [type] because [logic]". Why ruin the already balanced type chart just for the sake of realism? I know some types are way too strong while some are pretty weak, but the suggestions that are logical realistically doesn't help at all. The only thing that I could think of is having Poison be effective against Normal, but in the end nerfing Normal type is stupid. Most match ups are fine anyway and make sense, even if they're just small references ala Fighting vs Flying or the mentioned Dark vs Bug. Little details like that are great, anyway.

Last edited:

Eeveelution Co-ordinator

Budding Breeder/Co-ordinator
    Years
  • I wan to find the person who gives the Pokemon their weight and height and teach them which order numbers go in. A Gyardos is heavier than a Rayquaza. Oh, and how a Charizard or Deoxys look really big in Anime but are really the size of an average human being.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I can see where you're coming from, but as someone who doesn't care about competitive battling, and is more interested in the RP side of Pokemon, having IVs makes a lot of difference. But like I said, I get your POV as well, since, just like you said, competitive battlers will have flawless Pokemon anyway via other methods. You'd be surprised though, that there are some people who will breed for (almost) flawless Pokemon, and are bothered by hacking and RNG abuse, so I guess they would care about the IV system as well, since it provides a way to work on their Pokemon even more.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yeah...the majority of competitive battlers either go to extreme lengths (RNG or a lot of patience) to get flawless pokémon, or use Pokémon Online / shoddybattle / whatever on their PCs :P
    I would have to come out in support of the IV system - it's like how people are individual. I'm (according to Soccer Manager) the exact same height and weight as Cristiano Ronaldo. Yet no matter how much I trained to improve my speed, got more muscle tone etc. I'd never have that natural gift with a football, would I?
    And also, no offence to the people who said it, but I think having a time-based form of battling would be stupid, as it'd take too long [As it was, everyone complained at how much slower DP (And to a lesser extent Pt) were than Gen III]. And as it is speed means your Rayquaza gets to move before the lv.1 Wurmple (and if Wurmple actually gets a chance to land an attack, there's something wrong with your dragon mate :P).
    Also, for the point about Water not being super-effective on Steel...pokémon live outside, so presumably Steel-types are stainless / galvanised?

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I guess I didn't explain it thoroughly, you wouldn't have to wait 5 seconds for Charizard to make a move, and a battle wouldn't last any longer that it already does, the battle time would automatically skip to the next moment when a move is supposed to happen. Example: say Charizard makes a move every 5 seconds, so if the battle starts at moment 0, then Charizard would move at moment 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. Onix takes 8 seconds to make a move, so his turns would be at moment 8, 16, 24, 32 etc. The timeline would look something like this: 5 8 10 15 16 20 24 25 30 32, in red being Charizard's turns. Meaning that the first turn would be Charizard's, then Onix's, then Charizard would take two turns, followed by only one move from Onix, and so on. Again, you won't need to actually spend 32 seconds on this battle, or a few seconds between moves, turns would still happen automatically, but according to a timeline based on the Speed stat.

Anyway, this was only to further explain myself, I realize that changing the battle system at this point would screw up the balance that we have at the moment, that's not what I'm asking for and that's not the purpose of this thread. The whole idea of this came from my Ninjask in Emerald; he wasn't able to 1HKO most opponents, and was pretty frail and took quite some damage. His super speed didn't make any difference, he even had Speed Boost, which was useless anyway since he was already able to outspeed anything. So it always seemed funny to me how he'd still take turns with his opponent. Quite the gentle-mon, hehe, my Ninjask.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I guess I didn't explain it thoroughly, you wouldn't have to wait 5 seconds for Charizard to make a move, and a battle wouldn't last any longer that it already does, the battle time would automatically skip to the next moment when a move is supposed to happen. Example: say Charizard makes a move every 5 seconds, so if the battle starts at moment 0, then Charizard would move at moment 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. Onix takes 8 seconds to make a move, so his turns would be at moment 8, 16, 24, 32 etc. The timeline would look something like this: 5 8 10 15 16 20 24 25 30 32, in red being Charizard's turns. Meaning that the first turn would be Charizard's, then Onix's, then Charizard would take two turns, followed by only one move from Onix, and so on. Again, you won't need to actually spend 32 seconds on this battle, or a few seconds between moves, turns would still happen automatically, but according to a timeline based on the Speed stat.

Anyway, this was only to further explain myself, I realize that changing the battle system at this point would screw up the balance that we have at the moment, that's not what I'm asking for and that's not the purpose of this thread. The whole idea of this came from my Ninjask in Emerald; he wasn't able to 1HKO most opponents, and was pretty frail and took quite some damage. His super speed didn't make any difference, he even had Speed Boost, which was useless anyway since he was already able to outspeed anything. So it always seemed funny to me how he'd still take turns with his opponent. Quite the gentle-mon, hehe, my Ninjask.

It reminds me somewhat of the combat system used in Chrono Trigger. It's likely used in other video games, but it's the only example that comes to mind. It was a turn based game, and each character and enemy had a set amount of time before they could attack. Some enemies were slow, lumbering beasts that could be hit by your allies three or four times each before they could respond, but others were so agile that they would be able to lash out twice as fast as you could... it was even worse when they attacked in groups.

As you said it seems like too extreme a change to the battle system, and I would rather the game remain the way it is in that respect, but I could definitely see this kind of mechanic employed in one of the spin off games.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • the one thing that ENRAGES me is that you can't re-nickname traded pokemon. there is nothing more annoying than a pokemon's name that is in japanese. i mean, i can't read it. and it bugs me to the point where if i get a pokemon from the GTS and it evolves. and it name doesnt return to english. i have to either put it in my trade box, or release it. if theres anything i could change. it would be the the ability to change traded pokemons nicknames.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • and it bugs me to the point where if i get a pokemon from the GTS and it evolves. and it name doesnt return to english.

As someone that uses both Japanese and English games, I can assure you the name does return to English after evolution, unless it was actually nicknamed in Japanese. But if they kept the Pokemon's name as just the species name, it should return to English when you get it through GTS and then evolve it.

Best way to prevent bad GTS trades though is to use the Trade Corner here on PC, haha. Then you'd have no more worries about that annoying mess.

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
    Years
  • Not being able to trade items between games without trading Pokemon over. The speed at which trades take place. Not being able to trade straight from your box. Not being able to evolve a Pokemon by stone in the trading room.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yeah, I do kinda find it irritating the speed of trading, particularly if I'm trading back and forth a lot (like when I start over all my games except one Gen IV which gets all my events traded to it).
    I would have to have a difference of opinion with whoever it was complaining about Japanese-named pokémon, I like it - it's nice to not know if its nicknamed or not until it evolves. And unlike with English-language pokémon, if it is nicknamed I can assume its a cool nickname and not an awful one like (insert curse here).

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2020
    I disagree with the fact that the game tells you about some abilities or items when the Pokemon comes into the battle; such as, "X has Mold Breaker" or "Y is floating into the air with its Air Balloon". I never understood the logic of that. It's unfair to the Pokemon IMO.

IVs I think don't make Pokemon individuals, they just make them better or worse, but I'll leave it at that.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Speaking of trading, I hate than in gen V, they pretty much trick us into thinking that we're allowed to trade three Pokemon all at once. I think it's silly that you can put up three Pokemon for trade and then choose one from the three. It makes sense for say, GTS, but not when you're wifi trading and you likely already know what you're going to trade and get back in return. It makes things go so much slower too, especially with all the confirming you have to do. So even with the addition of trading straight from your PC box, it can still get tedious and annoying because of the fact you're able to choose three Pokemon.

Either let us trade three at once, or just take out that "select three" option entirely. That's what I think.

Years
  • Speaking of trading, I hate than in gen V, they pretty much trick us into thinking that we're allowed to trade three Pokemon all at once. I think it's silly that you can put up three Pokemon for trade and then choose one from the three. It makes sense for say, GTS, but not when you're wifi trading and you likely already know what you're going to trade and get back in return. It makes things go so much slower too, especially with all the confirming you have to do. So even with the addition of trading straight from your PC box, it can still get tedious and annoying because of the fact you're able to choose three Pokemon.

Either let us trade three at once, or just take out that "select three" option entirely. That's what I think.

^ This. I finally though 5th Generation made a revolution in trading but yeah I did feel disappointed upon learning that when I was trading with my Black and White games. Also, trading is so slooooooow!

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • The fact that Flying types nor Bug types are weak to Water.
    It's simple really. The gimmick of a flying type is that it can... fly. What does water do to birds, I wonder? Hm...

Bugs don't really like water either.. unless you think I'm referring to insects.

Back