• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meeting new people

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't have a specific tactic. I just talk to them, I think. It's mostly through friends, so when I'm at a party when there are people I don't know, I start talking to them. Online it's easier. There I don't have to know someone that knows you, I'll just sent a message.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    IRL I just don't, because I live in the middle of nowhere and finding other people who share the same interest as me is difficult as is. Online, I try to sent a message and hope, said person cares about responding. Although, as of lately I get more and more of a feeling people just start to ignore me.

Seems like I need to figure out, what I'm doing wrong, again...

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
    I find It It is Difficult to Meet New People on Internet(As I think We can't present our thoughts clearly while Chatting Online).I find it easier while chatting Directly.So If I meet new People I just start talking to them and Finally We Make Friends :)

SiriusAlpha

One and only
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    When I see a new person in real life, I don't make eye contact and I hope they don't do anything that I have to react to and I wait till they leave. Online when I meet someone (When someone PMs me saying hi), I greet them and ask them about what they like and what kind of music they listen to and try o get to know them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Online my ability to make friends really sucks. I've made literally one close friend. Irl I make friends through friends or at work. Yesterday I was geocaching in the woods and some guy started talking to me and we exchanged numbers because he wanted to geocache with me sometime lol. The opportunity to make friends irl is always possible!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The way I meet people is by having to converse with the those sitting next to me in class. Idk why but professors always force icebreakers, so you're pretty much forced to talk to those around you. And if you don't change seats a lot, you might just end up collaborating with these people or just talking or whatever.

Online, at least in terms of forums I don't really do much to initiate stuff, but I'll try to put myself out there in at least a group setting like clubs, mafia, plug dj

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Uuuh. Mainly through work nowadays haha. I have many cool work mates but also a lot of really annoying or mean ones. Past years, I easily and often met new people on student parties and interest clubs at my section of uni. Being a university student and involving oneself in the life of the various organizations and clubs is a great way to meet people, and even friends for life!

Online, I guess I meet people on PC haha. Mostly the proper friends I make come from roleplaying, but also staffers or Homestucks/Whovians~<3

Years
    In real life Am not massively keen on meeting new people, When I do I like to probe them with subtle questions to see if they have similar interests as me and if they are worth befriending, I know that sounds really snobbish, but as someone who hates small talk, I only enjoy talking to people with similar interests, otherwise things become awkward =p.

Online, meeting new people is really easy for me as you know what interests people have before you talk to them so you can pick and choose who to talk to xD.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    school makes it rather easy! otherwise, it's usually through friends or if I see someone that's like wearing a shirt that may show a common interest or they just look cool (can't really explain that) etc then I'll just go up and talk to them. I don't do that particularly often, though -- I'm happy with the friends I've got for right now. it's not so bad! I love meeting new people.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Well, I only have a couple of friends IRL and even then we're not that close anyway, we mostly just hang out during class. It's hard for me to find someone with similar interests, and it was pretty much impossible before I moved to the UK because I was kind of a dork admittedly, and being the only non-FPS player in an entire group of guys ain't fun. I'm /a lot/ more outgoing online, I have much less of a problem finding friends there. I've made a lot of online friends by hanging out on forums, chats and the like.

pkmin3033

I'm weird when it comes to meeting new people, both offline and online. I can quite happily approach almost anyone for a casual conversation - University more or less cured me of my timid nature in that - but at that indefinable point where it stops being conversation for conversation's sake, I typically withdraw entirely; people have to more or less put me in a position where I'm forced to talk to them unless I want to be incredibly rude about it.

Similarly, online I'm always that one person in the background that you see around but never really talk to, outside of maybe a short conversation in posts or something. I'm not a long conversation sort of person with most people...which is fine with me, because engaging with others inevitably makes me nervous.

So, I can meet new people no problem...it's after the meeting that I have issues with. xD

Years
    I have made friends online just by noticing people who have similar interests and messaging th and hoping we can just shoot the breeze. Making friends in college is easier than it was for me in HS because I can join clubs and sports and I'm forced to actually be social and then I already know I have at least one thing in common with someone!!

"Friends are weird. You pick one you like and then you just do stuff together."

Years
    Online is much more easier, in my opinion. When you meet someone here, you don't have no awkward moments, but in irl, it is harder.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I find It It is Difficult to Meet New People on Internet(As I think We can't present our thoughts clearly while Chatting Online).I find it easier while chatting Directly.So If I meet new People I just start talking to them and Finally We Make Friends :)

This is probably the first time I've heard someone say that it's harder to present one's thoughts online. Most people say it's easier because of the lack of immediate time restraints and the ability to articulate exactly what you want to say and edit it if necessary. That being said, there are some constraints like not being able to read vocal patterns and whatever, but still, it's interesting to see that someone finds it easier to present themselves irl.

I don't meet new people in my town because it's an old country village where new residents, let alone people my age, only rarely move to so the social atmosphere here is almost entirely dead. The main way I see/meet new people is in the city about 25 minutes away by boat, either at my university or at a club or something. I rarely talk to new people anyway, but I digress.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
    There are certain situations where I'm able to meet new people in new life easily, mostly though school and places I work/volunteer. There have been a couple instances when I ride the bus I'm able to strike a conversation with someone and it wasn't as nerve wracking as I thought.

In other situations, like professional networking parties, I just can't. Maybe it's because the setting is much more intimidating since many people already have successful careers and you get a feeling they might not be interested with someone just starting out. I have instances where I try to talk in those network parties but wasn't successful due to that person interested in talking to someone else.

As for online, I'm able to make friends easily mostly through forums and livejournal communities (before everyone moved to tumblr, haha) because of us having similar interests. If there is someone I'm interested in talking with I do try to approach them through private messaging or something similar.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Pretty much what Duckie stated, at least in real life. I don't have a problem meeting new people by myself online. I just VM them.

Back