• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Altaria Team Help

Rainbow-Dash

Premier Polychrome Pegasus
Years
  • I wanted to build a team based around my favorite Pokémon: Altaria and Absol. That's kind of it for the general overview of my team, I'm sorry I don't have much to say here.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 28 HP/148 SAtk/80 SDef/252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Taunt

I chose Gengar because I really didn't have many other possibilities for leads. Gengar is that lead. It can cripple physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp and can Taunt Pokémon with entry hazards or Pokémon setting up.

Absol @ Life Orb
    Ability: Super Luck
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Sucker Punch
    - Night Slash
    - Psycho Cut
    - Swords Dance

Absol is my other favorite Pokémon, so that's why it's here. It's mainly a revenge killer, but it can stay in and set up sometimes. Sucker Punch is for revenge, because it's priority. Swords Dance enables the possibility of sweeping with Sucker Punch, Night Slash and Psycho Cut.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - U-turn
    - Fire Punch

Jirachi is a counter for the steel and fairy types that hit Mega Altaria and Absol hard, as well as an Ice counter. It's mainly a safe switch-in against Pokémon that ruin Altaria and Absol. Iron Head slams fairy and ice types, Body Slam is a safe, reliable move, U-Turn is to switch back out after the threat is gone, and Fire Punch can hit steel and ice types.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Iron Head

I needed a tank on my team, since all of the other Pokémon are fairly frail. Tyranitar serves as that tank, with maximum Defense and HP EVs and Assault Vest. Earthquake is for dealing with electric types, Crunch for ghost types, Stone Edge is powerful STAB and can deal with Talonflames and such, and Iron Head for coverage.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 88 HP/220 Atk/4 Def/196 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce
    - Outrage

So Gyarados is the main offense of the team. It is purely a sweeper, with lots of speed and a Jolly nature to outspeed lots of other Pokémon. It's a classic sweeping set: Dragon Dance for setting up, Waterfall for STAB, Bounce for coverage, and Outrage is pure power.

Altaria @ Altarianite
    Ability: Natural Cure (Pixilate)
    EVs: 56 HP / 194 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Earthquake
    - Return
    - Roost

Okay, Altaria is the Mega Evolution on my team and the Pokémon that I've built this team around. It's mainly just a physical attacker but it can serve a cleric role as well. It can also get rid of the Fire and Dark types that can give Jirachi trouble. It has Return for a STAB fairy move, Earthquake to hit the fire types, Heal Bell because my team is really vulnerable to statuses (except for Jirachi), and Roost for, well, recovery

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Jirachi pairs well with Mega Altaria, resisting its Ice and Fairy weaknesses (and beating down lots of Fairies in general), while Altaria can handle Fire and Dark types for Jirachi. Jirachi also covers Absol's weaknesses to Fairy and Fighting.

-Jirachi w/Leftovers
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP, 232 Sp.Defense, 24 Speed
    Moves: Iron Head, Thunder Wave, Wish, Protect/Body Slam/Stealth Rock

or

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - U-turn
    - Fire Punch

You may also want some sort of cleric since Altaria/Absol/Jirachi don't like getting statused.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Cotton Guard isn't worth it on Mega Altaria because it already has good physical resistances. Here are better sets to use:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Roost/Fire Blast
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Altarianite
    Ability: Natural Cure

or
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast
    -Earthquake/Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 24 HP/248 SAtk/236 Spe

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake/Heal Bell/Substitute
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/96 SDef/28 Spe

or
    -Return/Hyper Voice
    -Earthquake/Flamethrower/Perish Song
    -Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish/Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/104 Def/156 SDef

As an FYI, Mega Absol is the sole reason to use Absol itself and other Dark Pokemon like Bisharp outclass it otherwise.

Gengar can eliminate opposing Fairy Pokemon, especially Unaware Clefable. Cleaners like Dragon Dance Gyarados and Dragon Dance Dragonite also pair well with Altaria:

Gengar:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond/Taunt/Substitute
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash/Black Sludge

or
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt/Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave/Disable
    EVs: 28 HP/148 SAtk/80 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

or
    -Hex
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb/Substitute
    EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

Gyarados:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Bounce
    -Substitute/Taunt
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 88 HP/220 Atk/4 Def/196 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate

Dragonite:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake/Fire Punch
    -Extreme Speed
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry
    Ability: Multiscale

Rainbow-Dash

Premier Polychrome Pegasus
    Years
  • Well, I'm not changing Absol or Altaria. I'm looking for suggestions about other team members.

I don't think Gengar or Dragonite would be very helpful on my team. Dragonite shares an Ice weakness with Altaria, and gengar has a Ghost weakness which Jirachi has as well. I think Gyarados could really work, though. Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Well, I'm not changing Absol or Altaria. I'm looking for suggestions about other team members.

I don't think Gengar or Dragonite would be very helpful on my team. Dragonite shares an Ice weakness with Altaria, and gengar has a Ghost weakness which Jirachi has as well. I think Gyarados could really work, though. Thanks!

Well then, I'm just wondering, but why Cotton Guard? I already outlined why it's not worth it.

If you want me to elaborate, Altaria learns Heal Bell via move tutor to heal itself and other teammates of other statuses. As of right now, your Altaria is very vulnerable to status if it's already Mega Evolved. And Altaria is one of those Pokemon that Mega Evolves ASAP.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Oh yeah one thing about that Gyarados set, if you're gonna roll with an attack in that last slot, Ice Fang (or even Earthquake) would be better than Outrage. Outrage is powerful, but getting locked into Outrage when Steels and Fairies are pretty common kinda sucks.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Oh yeah one thing about that Gyarados set, if you're gonna roll with an attack in that last slot, Ice Fang (or even Earthquake) would be better than Outrage. Outrage is powerful, but getting locked into Outrage when Steels and Fairies are pretty common kinda sucks.
    For reference, unSTABed Outrage does as much as a STAB Waterfall.

Earthquake or Stone Edge are the better coverage moves

As for Tyranitar, it has little use for Iron Head because its Rock STAB chunks Fairies hard enough already:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rock Slide/Ice Beam/Thunder Wave
    -Pursuit/Crunch
    -Fire Blast
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/124 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream

or
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch
    -Pursuit