• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Altaria

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    It's Dragon/Fairy, which means it is now immune to one of Dragon's weaknesses - Dragon - and we're yet to see its stats though it has improvement in Special Attack, Attack and Defense.

What do you think? If it has good stats, will you try it out?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh, I'll definitely try it out. Dragon/Fairy is a cool sounding typing and is probably useful (no double weaknesses, which is common amongst Dragons, is the only Dragon not weak to Dragon, etc). Not to mention that with those stat increases, moves like Heal Bell and Cotton Guard, and that it gets Pixilated Hyper Voices means it could be a good physical wall with offensive presence.

Years
    I can see this being a counter to any dragon choice locked into a dragon move, especially outrage. On the switch, it can either set up a cotton guard, use heal bell to heal any status, or can simply attack. I might try this out, however I really want to try out mega metagross and lopunny first. Seems interesting with it's typing though.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This is definitely one of the pokemon im looking forward to using.

Zard-X? lol

Zard-Y? lol

Mega Heracross? lol

Dragons? lol

Bulky af? Check.

Support moves out the wazoo? Check

Instant recovery? Check

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    Oh hells yeah I'll be trying it out.

Only weak to Ice, Fairy, Poison, and Steel. Resisting, grass, water, fire, electric, bug, fighting, dark, and immune to dragon. That's 8 types that this pokemon won't care about being hit my much. That's like Steel level. Pixelated hyper voice though... Eep... thank god the balance of needing the mega stone to evolve is there, or I'd have nightmares about the choice specs pixelated hyper voice sets.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I can see this being a counter to any dragon choice locked into a dragon move, especially outrage.
    Oh yeah, that would be hilarious!
    >Opponent sees Altaria and decides to attack with a Dragon move
    >Altaria's Altariaite(?) is reacting to [insert trainer name]'s Mega Ring!
    >Altaria Mega-Evolved into Mega Altaria!
    >[insert opponent's Pokémon] used [insert Dragon-type attack move]!
    >It doesn't affect Altaria...
    Next turn:
    >[insert opponent's Pokémon] can only use [insert Dragon-type attack move]!
    >Opponent forced to switch out xD

Years
    Mega Altaria just has so much potential though. As of now, it has base 70 attack and special attack. Altaria has lots of moves ranging from support, physical and special. It might be able to run a mixed set as well or maybe sub + roost + 2 attacks (hyper voice and dragon pulse?) however with that roost set it has very limited coverage. Can't wait to try this out soon, so many possible sets lol

Years
    I think Mega Altaria could definitely one of the best new OR/AS Megas in competitive play. Dragon/Fairy has a lot of resistances as mentioned earlier, in fact almost as many resistances as the average Steel-type, but it's sorta balanced out with having four weaknesses (Ice, Fairy, Poison, Steel) and it's also the only Dragon immune to Dragon moves.

Given that it's apparently getting a boost to Sp. Attack, those Pixilated Hyper Voices are something to fear from the fluffy dragon-bird. It's also likely going to have the stats to make both offensive and defensive sets viable on it. I know for sure it's one Mega I want to try out and see just how good it is, and it's so cute as well.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Kind of disappointed that it doesn't get an increase in HP, but it's still sounds pretty amazing. That Dragon/Fairy typing is really something big.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Kind of disappointed that it doesn't get an increase in HP, but it's still sounds pretty amazing. That Dragon/Fairy typing is really something big.

They actually haven't given an HP boost to any mega- I'm fairly certain it's because they can't adjust HP stats based on fractions / percentages, nor give it just a larger max HP and leave the remaining stat at what it's at mid-battle.

Would be cool if they could though - for sure :v

And guys; both Salamence and Mega Altaria can get Hype Voice in ORAS; with their pixelate and aerialate abilities... ;-; Assuming of course Move Tutors are back. Which I bet they will be...

Years
    I just had two random thoughts for megas: mega shuckle and mega wailord lol. Imagine how many troll teams would use mega shuckle and rain teams use mega wailord. Again, just random thoughts, but just think about it: shucklenite and wailordinite :P

But back on topic, I hope they do bring move tutors back. Was kind of annoying that the pokes I wanted to breed and train this gen had moves that are from gen 5 only. Also that's interesting that salamence gets hyper voice. A possibly mixed mega set could be viable, and it gets dragon dance and moxie. Set up a dd-preferably on something that can't damage you too hard-hit whatever opponent sends out with either a physical or special move depending on weaker defense, proceed to get a +2 attack and +1 speed.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    They actually haven't given an HP boost to any mega- I'm fairly certain it's because they can't adjust HP stats based on fractions / percentages, nor give it just a larger max HP and leave the remaining stat at what it's at mid-battle.
    Hm, I suppose I can't blame them. Though I won't be opposed to pointing out a small ineptitude in their programming team :p I guess the lackluster hp stat is one drawback of Mega Altaira, though it does have reliable recovery to boot so I suppose that it's not a huge problem.

Is it too early to start calling Mega Altaria "The Dragon Killer"? :p

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Hm, I suppose I can't blame them. Though I won't be opposed to pointing out a small ineptitude in their programming team :p I guess the lackluster hp stat is one drawback of Mega Altaira, though it does have reliable recovery to boot so I suppose that it's not a huge problem.

Is it too early to start calling Mega Altaria "The Dragon Killer"? :p

Hah yeah - megas have worked around low base HP stats though, I mean - mawile's been stuck with 50 base hp lol. AND LOOK WHERE IT ENDED UP xD

Definitely not too early though

It's literally; the anti-dragon. Both types outside Ice that beat Dragon; and completely immune to it... If it wasn't obvious Game Freak wanted to nerf dragons this gen yet... It should be now.

I was kinda suspicious when Altaria got Moonblast in X/Y though - like, it seems like foreshadowing now but at the time it just seemed strange. Ah well. Glory be to floofle dragon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    god dat bulk + support movepool + pixilated hyper voices.

what about dragon dance sets? with pixilate, return becomes the strongest physical fairy move in ou (without mega maw ofc), correct me if im wrong. maybe it could run something like dd - dragon claw/outrage - return - eq/roost

Polar Spectrum

Years
    That could be pretty neat. I'd imagine Atk + Speed EV's to make the most of dragon dance, let the typing and the bulk handle itself; it could work. That's a reeeeeally hard hitting Return too;

(base)102 -> (Pixelate +30%) -> 132.6 -> (Fairy Stab) -> 198.9

198 Base Power Fairy move :I Off of a supposedly boosted mega Altaria's attack... after a single dragon dance, that's like... well even without it, it's devastating - afterwards it'd just be murderous.

Years
    That could be pretty neat. I'd imagine Atk + Speed EV's to make the most of dragon dance, let the typing and the bulk handle itself; it could work. That's a reeeeeally hard hitting Return too;

(base)102 -> (Pixelate +30%) -> 132.6 -> (Fairy Stab) -> 198.9

198 Base Power Fairy move :I Off of a supposedly boosted mega Altaria's attack... after a single dragon dance, that's like... well even without it, it's devastating - afterwards it'd just be murderous.

Is that max happiness? Lol

Also I don't think she gets any physical fairy moves outside of normal physical moves. But return on a ddance set seems pretty nice. Does anyone know if Altaria gets agility too?

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Is that max happiness? Lol

Also I don't think she gets any physical fairy moves outside of normal physical moves. But return on a ddance set seems pretty nice. Does anyone know if Altaria gets agility too?

See, this is my issue with fairy types. It doesn't get play rough, so no - there is no physical fairy option outside of pixelated return. :L I'd like to see a fairy move that isn't Moonblast, Play rough, or Dazzling gleam in ORAS. No, I don't care about fairy wind, draining kiss (although this is very viable) or

And yeh; that's with max happiness. Preeeetty beastly. It does get Agility by breeding too; yeah.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I think Mega Altaria would be a neat addition in OU to check/counter the Pokemon Dark_Azelf listed. It's the anti-Dragon Dragon, so to speak.

Potential sets (already posted these in the Battle Daily Chit-Chat, so might as well put them here):
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (depending on the final stats, the EVs can be rearranged to outspeed certain threats and/or avoid certain OHKOs/2HKOs)
    Item: Altarite
    Ability: Natural Cure

Yes, it's walled entirely by Skarmory. Yes, it faces competition from Mega Charizard X, Mega Tyranitar and Mega Gyarados. A neat set of resistances gives Mega Altaria more freedom to set up in order to set itself apart from those guys, IMO.

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast/Power Swap
    -Roost
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef

Specially offensive Mega Altaria. Yes, Dragon/Fairy is redundant offensively. Factoring in the Pixilate boosts, Hyper Voice becomes almost as strong as Draco Meteor. If there are any OHKOs/2HKOs that Draco Meteor can't accomplish compared to Hyper Voice, it can be dropped for a support move. Draco Meteor + Power Swap is fun on special attackers, though.

or
    -Return/Hyper Voice
    -Earthquake/Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Toxic/Perish Song
    -Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Calm/Careful/Bold/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef (Calm/Careful) or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef (Bold/Impish)

Shame this thing doesn't get Defog, but its current support options are neat.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Dont forget Roar and Haze. ;)

Also EQ/Return/Fire Blast/Filler could be a nice mix set i guess.

Back