• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Evolutions in Alola

Which would you rather they add more of in Sun/Moon?

• Total voters

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • So, we haven't had a single one revealed yet. It might be considered to be too early, but really. New Pokemon formes before Megas? Do you think Mega Evolutions are going to be less frequent this generation? If they are included, what are some Pokemon you want to see have Megas? Or would you rather Pokemon to have Alola forms that are permanent rather than temporary Megas?

MEGA LAPRAS PLEASE! And Milotic would be so cool. Classic, I know, but I love them.

EDIT: Some people might be misunderstanding what I mean. Of course Game Freak isn't going to REMOVE Mega Evolutions. I'm asking if they will introduce MORE Mega Evolutions or not--putting them in the back in favor of Alola forms. Of course Megas are still going to BE there, but are they going to be a focus or just a thing of the past?

Last edited:

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Yeah, I highly doubt after all the emphasis they put on Megas that they'd just stop making new ones. As most others have guessed, I think they'll just make less, around 10-15.

Years
  • I am really unsure about this, like everyone else. New stones, new way to have more powerful attacks. However, in past trailers, most of the Pokemons that were shown as an opponent had mega evolutions, and Flygon was part of the opponent Pokemons. I am not sure if Flygon is about to get a mega evolution or some sort of a form.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Although there's been no update on the whole Mega Evolution concept, I do think it will be returning for S/M. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the storyline and it can easily be inserted at a later stage or even into the post game storyline. I don't think we'll receive anywhere near as many new megas as we did in Gen VI but I think we'll get a few!

Years
  • Mega Evolution has proven to be too popular to be scrapped, so if it stays on in Sun & Moon I could likely see it taking a backseat focus-wise and be a postgame thing.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Mega Evolution has proven to be too popular to be scrapped, so if it stays on in Sun & Moon I could likely see it taking a backseat focus-wise and be a postgame thing.

The same could also be said for the follow me feature, that was immensely popular following HGSS. I wouldn't really say it's something that goes by popularity but rather by how it affects the mechanics of the game. Mega Evolution was quite a significant move that did have quite an impact on the overall gameplay style, not just in battle. Adding an extra evolution to existing Pokemon is something that changes the way many people use certain Pokemon so I think it's something that couldn't really be ignored going forward in the franchise. Mega Evolution is here now and it's become a big part of the Pokemon franchise which is probably why it will continue to carry on throughout future games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2019
    Yeah, I highly doubt after all the emphasis they put on Megas that they'd just stop making new ones. As most others have guessed, I think they'll just make less, around 10-15.

They also put A LOT of emphasis on the trainer customization in X and Y, and we may only get as much as hair and skin color change this time.

Years
  • The same could also be said for the follow me feature, that was immensely popular following HGSS. I wouldn't really say it's something that goes by popularity but rather by how it affects the mechanics of the game. Mega Evolution was quite a significant move that did have quite an impact on the overall gameplay style, not just in battle. Adding an extra evolution to existing Pokemon is something that changes the way many people use certain Pokemon so I think it's something that couldn't really be ignored going forward in the franchise. Mega Evolution is here now and it's become a big part of the Pokemon franchise which is probably why it will continue to carry on throughout future games.

You have a point, because walking Pokemon was not much of a feature that affected game mechanics whereas Mega Evolution did. While Game Freak notoriously remove a lot of well-loved features between generations, I feel Megas have revolutionized battling so much that it'll rather take a backseat in the story as opposed to being scrapped. The Z-Ring also appears to have a circle-shaped indent that could fit a Mega Stone, so I'd be shocked if Mega Evolution got scrapped which I could also suspect due to the fact we've seen nothing hinting towards Mega Evolution appearing in the game.

Years
  • I feel like the Z-moves are a replacement for mega evolution in that they give any Pokemon a chance to be super powerful for a short time. If I understand how they work, there a specific hold items like mega stones but not specific to any particular Pokemon and can be used as long as the Pokemon has a move of the same type. That's sort of like giving them new types temporarily, at least in an offensive capacity.

Honestly, I think mega evolutions were fun, but I wouldn't be sad to see them go. Regional forms interest me a lot more.

Years
  • I feel like the Z-moves are a replacement for mega evolution in that they give any Pokemon a chance to be super powerful for a short time. If I understand how they work, there a specific hold items like mega stones but not specific to any particular Pokemon and can be used as long as the Pokemon has a move of the same type. That's sort of like giving them new types temporarily, at least in an offensive capacity.

Honestly, I think mega evolutions were fun, but I wouldn't be sad to see them go. Regional forms interest me a lot more.

You do have a point here, because Mega Stones were made for specific Pokemon while the Z-Crystals can be held by any Pokemon for a short boost of power, and there's only two requirements to use a Z-Move so it's not much of an issue. The Alola Forms for older Pokemon also help breathe new life into previously overlooked Pokemon and I'm hoping to see more of the leaked ideas become real.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I know people might be upset, but I either wish for:

A. Mega Evolutions only in the Post-Game

or

B. No Megas at all this game.

The reason for point A is because I feel Megas are what ruined part of X and Y for me. You couldn't get them until post-game and when you do use them, they aren't that fun because you just steamroll through everything. It just gets boring after a while. It'd be better if the AI wasn't a 12/255 ( I went to look it up, yes some programmers hacked into the game to find this) but I digress. I would complain about Mega's being in the post-game for SUMO but with all the new features including Z-moves, they would be so cheap in battle. I want gamefreak to work on other things than making already OP mons even MORE OP. Plus, I'd like it if they'd limit it to either one or the other. You could either have a Z-crystal or and Mega. Not Both.

The reason for my point B. is because I want Alola to not have to piggyback off the success of previous gens to work. We got Black and White, a game that was completely stand-alone and it worked great. Why can't Alola keep to itself? If they do add Megas for the purpose of money I won't mind, I just hope they are somewhat balanced. I'd hate to get a Mega Ring and a Z-crystal all at the same time.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2019
    You do have a point here, because Mega Stones were made for specific Pokemon while the Z-Crystals can be held by any Pokemon for a short boost of power, and there's only two requirements to use a Z-Move so it's not much of an issue. The Alola Forms for older Pokemon also help breathe new life into previously overlooked Pokemon and I'm hoping to see more of the leaked ideas become real.

The ONLY new form I can't bring myself to love is the skinny Exeggutor. ._.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I feel like Megas haven't reached their full potential yet. We have so many Pokemon but not that many. I realize that they will probably have to make a decision between new Pokemon, new Megas, or new Alola formes, and they will probably pick the latter two, so if we get any at all, it might be just a few. I can see it not being a focused thing, but I would really not like the games to just skip over it like "Well, we covered this all in XY. Done, moving on."

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Eh. The less said of it, the better. I was never really a fan of mega evolution, and I'd take these new forms over it any day of the week.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I still want Mega Evolutions but for only one reason. We still don't have all of the major Pokegods of yore.
    We have representations for Sapusaur, Rainer, Charcolt, Spooky, Beepin, and Dimonix. If they make a Mega for Butterfree (Locustod), Raticate (Raticlaw), Nidoking (Nidogod), and Nidoqueen (Nidogoddess) then I'll be completely content with no more Megas.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • If we don't see any hint, or mention of them by September then I will end up thinking that there's not going to be any new ones. This month is the best one for showing off Megas.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I doubt they would drop them, battle mechanics rarely get dropped.
    We had megas in ORAS, and I think if they were gonna drop it, they would have done it then.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I think Mega-evolution will be making a return, otherwise it'll be a shame if they don't :(

But mega-evolutions completely being removed seems highly unlikely from the amount of hype it was given from the Pokémon Company and it was a whole new aspect to battling, it was a whole new feature.

+ if GF did want to remove mega-evolutions completely, why did they continue to add Megas in ORAS? And just a friendly reminder, Alola forms aren't Megas of previous Pokémon, they have the same stat total (I think so), they'd adjusted the stats very slightly.

Back