• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Salamence banned from OU

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Why can't we just remove all mega's and have a clean ou tier :/

Some Mega Pokemon are still underwhelming, like Steelix and Garchomp. Other Pokemon depend on their Mega Evolutions to be effective, like Charizard, Lopunny and Manectric. Even these Megas have their weaknesses.

The only Mega Pokemon that were banned from OU are Kangaskhan, Blaziken, Gengar, Mawile, Lucario and Salamence. This was because they centralized OU to an extent.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Apparently max HP, max SD can take an Ice Beam from an uninvested in SA Kyurem-B (without Life Orb), but even then, it's a coin flip as to whether it OHKOs or not. Maybe Skyburial ran into the wrong Mence on the wrong day, but at any rate, I think anyone who's seen what the tier was like for the brief while Mega Mence was allowed to run roughshod in it will know that the ban was more than justified.

It's not entirely uninvested. Physical mixed Life Orb with a Lonely nature (56 invested in SpA).

Takes out Megachomp, Landorus-T, Stealth Rock-weakened Dragonite, all the major pre-ORAS points.

srinator

It's not entirely uninvested. Physical mixed Life Orb with a Lonely nature (56 invested in SpA).

Takes out Megachomp, Landorus-T, Stealth Rock-weakened Dragonite, all the major pre-ORAS points.

Kk
    56 SpA Life Orb Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Salamence: 567-671 (143.9 - 170.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    :)

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016

I think perhaps you must have forgotten to put the Life Orb on it as I've done the calc and with the Life Orb you should be killing every time, even if you have an IV of 0. Without the Life Orb however a max SD (with boosting nature), max HP Mega Mence has chance of living. Here are the calcs (note I adjusted the SD to 90 for Mega Mence):

56 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Salamence: 372-436 (94.4 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

56 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Salamence: 484-567 (122.8 - 143.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    But that would be similar to playing Gen V where everything is literally ****. happycow

Isnt that a good thing?

Plus i find it hilarious that if you took the megas away, you'd see that they've introduced absolutely NOTHING new, original etc this gen. :\

P.s megas arent original. They're recycled, digimon-esque, laziest excuse for a game, psuedo uber pokemon lol.

P.s.s. Why are we arguing and doing calcs on how well salamence takes a STAB ICE BEAM? :| "Not very" would be the answer lol.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Isnt that a good thing?

Plus i find it hilarious that if you took the megas away, you'd see that they've introduced absolutely NOTHING new, original etc this gen. :\

P.s megas arent original. They're recycled, digimon-esque, laziest excuse for a game, psuedo uber pokemon lol.

P.s.s. Why are we arguing and doing calcs on how well salamence takes a STAB ICE BEAM? :| "Not very" would be the answer lol.
    Not sure why'd you say that nothing was introduced this gen. There's 70ish new Pokemon, the Fairy type, Defog is usuable now, and they got rid of perma-weather, ending those goddamn weather wars we had in Gen V. Sure, it might not be as ground breaking as some of the stuff introduced in previous gens, but it's not nothing.

But I agree that running calcs on how well Mega Mence takes STAB Ice Beams is dumb though.
    Guys....it's Salamence. It doesn't take Ice Beams. It only wishes it could.

srinator

I wasn't doing calcs on how well mence takes ice beams, was trying to point that it doesn't.
    Lrn2readup

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Another type?,That's new if I'm correct. The last two types that we had were Steel and Dark before fairy.

Some megas are cool, I'm going to admit that other ones are like puke. Psuedo Ubers? It happens the same with other pokes, They wall you to death and nobody complains about it. If attackers are going to be chased to death I'm going to start playing Ubers. I just say, Let's make things fair for both sides I still think that Mega Salamence's battlefield is Ubers, He was born for that ****.

PS: Really.... Salamence hates cold, Even Aurora Beam with STAB would be an OHKO.

Yep, psuedo ubers. Megas have BETTER stats, moves and typing than some ubers lol.

Also maybe i should elaborate about the "nothing new". Most viable fairies were in the game before except with a different typing. They arent new lol. Same with Defog and weather changes etc. That is just a simple mechanic change, not being totally new. As with megas, its just a totally reused and revamped concept, it isnt new. Those pokemon/moves were already in the game. Also mega evolving is a digimon rip off but i digress.

Also the 70 or so "new" pokemon are generally inferior or just plain suck. There are only a few usable/OU ones. :\ RS, DP, GS, even BW introduced about 100-150 new ones each.

They wall you to death and nobody complains about it.

If you lose to stall, your team has flaws. You get life orbs, choice items, stat boosting moves, defog, things with base 160+ offenses. You simply got outplayed, and the ratio of bs attackers to bs walls is ridiculous at this current time in favor of offense js.

Lastly, ive alluded to this in a previous post, but its always offensive players that get what they want and the best of bans. Mega Mence wasnt really too threatening against stall or bulky offense (4mss [using Outrage? Cool you cant hit Heatran or Skarm etc] and common stall pokemon stop it cold, it just maimed offense because it was hard to revenge kill and check with offensive pokes. On the other hand if stall players said "Oh hera, gardy and gothitelle are bs to counter they should be banned because nothing walls them and using gothitelle is admitting you have no wallbreaking skill" nothing would be done lol. Which is the main reason i think its ridiculous when we should be striving for balance and we are letting these megas roam free when there is a clear bias lol. :|

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Hmm... You're right about my teams, Lol. I'm not a pro.

About the "New" stuff, The weather was something nice to have. And the pokes, Yeah 6th gen sucks hard, On everything.

And Mega Mence.. If you have to run Scarf Greninja to outspeed it... You tell me. For me, If I can outspeed it and OHKO it it's not a threat, But running Scarf Greninja is like using Swords Dance on Chansey.

I wasnt specifically saying your teams, i meant in general. :P

The last point you make basically sums my argument up about striving for balance and why megas arent healthy for it. I could say the same. Why should i be forced to run something as ****** as Doublade in order to stop mega gardy, or pack my team with things that gothitelle cant trap? Just as offense shouldn't have to run garbage things like Scarf Greninja to beat mega mence.

Also Swords Dance has more use than just Chansey js lol so i dont think thats a good argument. When you have to run something specifically to beat something else, thats when it becomes questionable see: Scarf Ninja for mence, on the other hand Chansey has many things that beat it.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Also maybe i should elaborate about the "nothing new". Most viable fairies were in the game before except with a different typing. They arent new lol. Same with Defog and weather changes etc. That is just a simple mechanic change, not being totally new. As with megas, its just a totally reused and revamped concept, it isnt new. Those pokemon/moves were already in the game. Also mega evolving is a digimon rip off but i digress.

The pokemon were in the games before; yes. But the typing was not, and that's a huge deal. There was no type that hit fighting, dark, and dragon super effective, nor a type that resisted the former 2 and was immune to the latter. That's a huuuuge balancing issue addressed. If you want to say Moonblast, as a 95 base power move that hits all three of those super effectively isn't a new addition, then how can any gen be considered to have introduced any new moves; being as all pokemon are weak to other types, that have moves, that have existed since at least gen 1/2? And just because you don't see new content playing solely on Showdown within certain rule sets doesn't mean it's not there - it more of means you just don't personally care for it, or aren't exposed to it within the small portion of content you're exposed to from the new games within that medium / playstyle.

This ties into mega salamence being banned from OU lol. Mostly because being banned from OU, essentially means Swagon players can discount Mega Salamence from being substantial new content introduced in ORAS / sixth gen. Because it's now removed from what they consider 'standard play' - it may as well not even be there for the bulky demographic who can't / refuses to stray outside of that one playlist on showdown.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Were I to choose a first poke for the Bug/Dragon typing, it would be Yanmega, for a few reasons.

First and foremost, Mega Yanmega is just fun to say, and ridiculously meme-able, which would result in creative nicknames. In my opinion, this is part of what energizes the metagame.

Second, Dragon-type megas and Bug-Type megas are both too centralized around physical attackers. With ORAS, this problem was slightly alleviated for Dragon, and not at all for Bug. So we've got all these answers for Bug-types in OU that can go completely unchecked on the special side.

Third, mega evolution often comes with a move pool expansion, and Yanmega's move pool is weak sauce without Tinted Lense. So this would not only give Yanmega the bump it deserves, but diversify the sets that we run on the rest of the tier.

I'm not sure if the same can be said for Flygon.

Back