• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MegaTokyo

Shirt_Guy_Dom

L33t One
    Years
    Here's where you can rant and rave about the online manga MegaTokyo. Rant about the charcters or when do you think Piro will finally ask Kimko out.
    Impress others with your L337 5l<1llz. You can also talk about the Shirt Guy Dom strips too.

DR.MUNCHLAX

Just passing by.
    Years
    Well Shirt_Guy_Dom Mega Toyko is a great online comic.
    My favorite characters are Dom and Largo.
    I don't think that Piro will ever ask Kimko out because he is too shy.

Years
    I don't get why people blatantly claim that what they produce are Manga and/or Doujinshi, if it's not made in Japan, it's not Manga, nor is it a Doujinshi.
    I don't care if you draw in the same style, it is NOT the same.
    It can be called anything from Manga-styled to pseudo-Manga, 'cause if it's made outside Japan it's a comic.

This is the same deal with Anime, if it's made in Japan, it's not the same.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I don't get why people blatantly claim that what they produce are Manga and/or Doujinshi, if it's not made in Japan, it's not Manga, nor is it a Doujinshi.
    I don't care if you draw in the same style, it is NOT the same.
    It can be called anything from Manga-styled to pseudo-Manga, 'cause if it's made outside Japan it's a comic.

This is the same deal with Anime, if it's made in Japan, it's not the same.
    You could not be more wrong. So tell me, if anime is only made in Japan, how did Tom and Jerry make the list of the top 100 anime in a poll taken by Japanese people? Also, you're just generalising everything, there is no 'manga style', maybe from the few titles you've seen, but there's no way something like Monster would be thought of as manga style, same with other titles like Claymore or D. Greyman. So yes, manga and Doujinshi can made by non Japanese people and out of Japan.

Manga ARE comics. If they're not then you have a lot of misguided Japanese who don't know they're wrong when they call X-Men, Superman, Green Lantern, etc, manga. Manga is the Japanese word for comic, just like anime is the short word for the animation. Elitist 'otaku' think of the words as nothing more than them meaning Japanese comics and cartoons. As much as I like bursting their petty little bubble, it does get old.

Shirt_Guy_Dom

L33t One
    Years
    Kazuhito said:
    You could not be more wrong. So tell me, if anime is only made in Japan, how did Tom and Jerry make the list of the top 100 anime in a poll taken by Japanese people? Also, you're just generalising everything, there is no 'manga style', maybe from the few titles you've seen, but there's no way something like Monster would be thought of as manga style, same with other titles like Claymore or D. Greyman. So yes, manga and Doujinshi can made by non Japanese people and out of Japan.

Manga ARE comics. If they're not then you have a lot of misguided Japanese who don't know they're wrong when they call X-Men, Superman, Green Lantern, etc, manga. Manga is the Japanese word for comic, just like anime is the short word for the animation. Elitist 'otaku' think of the words as nothing more than them meaning Japanese comics and cartoons. As much as I like bursting their petty little bubble, it does get old.

I agree. You see if you are up to date on the debate on what to call the work of peolpe who draw in the style of the Japanesse you would know that it is called O.E.L. manga or Original Enlglish Language manga. So MegaTokyo is considered a manga.

Years
    Kazuhito said:
    Manga ARE comics.
    Manga roughly means "flowing words" or "undisciplined words", it's an ancient art used for entertainment, tell me where does the comic element come into play here? Surely the modern term of Manga is directed toward that of a 'comics', but it is not the original meaning.

Kazuhito said:
    how did Tom and Jerry make the list of the top 100 anime in a poll taken by Japanese people?
    In no way does that poll state japanese anime only, hence why Tom and Jerry are on the poll, as it is anime, though not japanese animation. I was referring to the japanese anime, not every anime as so, perhaps I should have formulated that differently.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Manga roughly means "flowing words" or "undisciplined words", it's an ancient art used for entertainment, tell me where does the comic element come into play here? Surely the modern term of Manga is directed toward that of a 'comics', but it is not the original meaning.
    'llustrated word' In modern terms...it still means the same and refers to all comics. It's usually just English speakers that refer to it that way.

In no way does that poll state japanese anime only, hence why Tom and Jerry are on the poll, as it is anime, though not japanese animation. I was referring to the japanese anime, not every anime as so, perhaps I should have formulated that differently.
    The poll doesn't say whether it's Japanese made stuff or American stuff as well.

Zaikiro

The offgoining vet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Kazuhito said:

True Jorge,so true.

I have been a fan of MegaTokyo for about 2 years. It's a great series, and my favorite web comic. Punks and Nerds ties for second to me.

Zaikiro

The offgoining vet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Hikaru-chan said:
    I really like Megatokyo! I have all three of the books. Do you know when the 4th comes out?
    I heard it wont be out until January.

Shirt_Guy_Dom

L33t One
    Years
    well my favorite characters are Dom, Largo, Ed, Piro, Junipee, Boo and the guy who speaks l33t. Does he even have a name? I also think in chapter seven Piro might finally ask Kimko out. That's just my opionion.

Tiger-chan

My favorite characters are Dom, Largo, and Erica. I like the SGD strips alot, as well as the regular comic.

Back