• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Megaupload Shut Down

Years
  • I've come up with the theory that a major site will go down every month, leading up to December 21st and then Jesus comes down and steals the Internet. The Mayans were right. Not in the ways we expected, but they were on to something. They knew. They knew.
    Hahahaha this didn't get the appreciation it deserved.

There are thousands of other file sharing websites that will pick up from where Mega Upload was stopped, so I don't think internet pirates have anything to worry about.

Years
  • I love the fact that people believe that they are going to be thrown in jail for downloading stuff from Megaupload. That video is only adding fuel to the fire. I've been searching on Google for "are people who download from Megaupload getting arrested?" and I really don't see anything that would support the ******** that is in that video.

If people who download from megaupload are getting arrested, where are we going to put their asses? The courts would be backed up for years with people being tried for downloading off of Megaupload. This **** about people being arrested for using megaupload needs to ****ing stop!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I love the fact that people believe that they are going to be thrown in jail for downloading stuff from Megaupload. That video is only adding fuel to the fire. I've been searching on Google for "are people who download from Megaupload getting arrested?" and I really don't see anything that would support the ******** that is in that video.

If people who download from megaupload are getting arrested, where are we going to put their asses? The courts would be backed up for years with people being tried for downloading off of Megaupload. This **** about people being arrested for using megaupload needs to ****ing stop!

Just more pro-piracy scare tactics.

Acronell

www.poilkjmn.info
    Years
  • The reality of it is that it was planned to be done during the same timeframe as the SOPA/PIPA bills being passed. People planned to protest SOPA/PIPA after the fact of it all being planned. It wasn't set up to be right after the protest, it was planned to be done around the time the bills would be passed. So it would look like a big win for the new laws(which they would be if they were passed). It just happens that SOPA/PIPA got shot down for being too broad, and because they would be vastly over abused the way they were written.

I had a large amount of legitimate files on MegaUpload, which included projects that some of my friends and I were still working on. Which also included school projects. Now we've lost all of our work that we didnt have directly on our computers, which is a considerably large amount. I also had tutorials that I'd written, as well as a large amount of my own writing and photography, which I can never get back because having it on Megaupload was my backup of it.

It's actually a legitmate thing that users of Megaupload could be sued for downloading copyright infringing materials. Of course they would never be able to do it against everyone because it would be too costly, but you have to realize that they have the lists of everyone who's used the service, and it is very likely that they will at least make an example of more than 2 or 3 dozen people at the least, just to show off and say "See? We do know who you are, and we're goona get you for what you've been doing!". And of course, they will go and nail a few more people a few months to a year after that, just to make it look like they are still nabbing everyone.

Megaupload themselves actually allowed companies and copyright holders to shut down files/downloads on their site, and it happened MILLIONS of times. I'm not going to say it's all about greed either, because you know that you wouldn't want anything you were making to be given out for free if it were music or movies, it's simply about people getting too lazy to look for themselves. So instead of finding the files themselves, they went and went with the government to just kill it all off without a single thought for the legitimate users. But greed is still a factor in it because the only reason they actually care about piracy is because it takes mney away from them, and I'm sorry, but the people who actually worked on the movies and tv shows from more than 10 years ago aren't making money off of the movies anymore, the money just goes to the main corporations that hold the film rights now. With the exception of a few smart people who went with the choice of making royalties, which is ironically, a very small number in comparison.

Charlie Kelly

King of the Rats
    Years
  • Today Megaupload has gotten shut down by the FBI, due to "online piracy", and it's been costing over $500 million dollars for copyright holders
    Ehhh I'm not so sure about that. That statement assumes that people would actually pay for the stuff they downloaded had piracy not been an option. It could be $500, it could be $500 Million, no one knows for sure if Billy the Pirate would have bought the Twilight DVD if he didn't download it. Many songs and movies are pirated by people who are not interested enough in them to actually go out and pay for them.

As for Megaupload, it's a shame, I liked Megaupload. Morally I really don't care one way or the other what they were doing. :\

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I had a large amount of legitimate files on MegaUpload, which included projects that some of my friends and I were still working on. Which also included school projects. Now we've lost all of our work that we didnt have directly on our computers, which is a considerably large amount. I also had tutorials that I'd written, as well as a large amount of my own writing and photography, which I can never get back because having it on Megaupload was my backup of it.

Screw up 1) Relying on a online service to backup important files.
    Screw up 2) Not having your own backup for the important files.

Not a smart idea to rely on someone else to protect your data.

Still, piracy is piracy. Doesn't matter if you later go and buy a legit copy a week later, you still pirated a copy of it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Screw up 1) Relying on a online service to backup important files.
    Screw up 2) Not having your own backup for the important files.

Not a smart idea to rely on someone else to protect your data.

Still, piracy is piracy. Doesn't matter if you later go and buy a legit copy a week later, you still pirated a copy of it.

I agree with you, but still, try to be a little more sympathetic yeah? I've had that happen to me myself once, where I didn't have pictures of my best friend and I saved on my computer because it was uploaded to a forum, which got shut down in some feud between the two people that owned it, therefore destroying those images for good. Was it my fault that I didn't back them up somewhere? Of course. Did it still feel crappy to lose them? Yeah.

I disagree with your second statement though. What's the literal difference between pirating a copy of something, and then buying it the next day, and just buying it? No one's losing any money, as the pirate would not have bought two copies of it. I see no harm in someone who pirates a copy of something and then buys it later, unless that something requires a regular charge or something (WoW for instance, playing that for 6 months before buying it would be the company losing money). "Piracy is piracy" isn't a good argument; do you have one that's based in actual logic? It's possible the laws today don't account for piracy in that sense, but maybe they should.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • You kidnap a child but let him go a week later.

Does this mean that you won't get punished? No.

Point is, compliance with the law doesn't change the fact that you broke it in the past. And that is what punishments are for. Past events that broke the law and/or rules.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You're really a fan of flawed analogies aren't you? I feel like I'm a broken record trying to explain everywhere lately how two situations differ.

A child is not piracy. There's no crime that can be directly analogous to piracy that isn't just made up on the spot, because piracy is unique. The absolute closest you can get is theft, and even then the person or company who owned it loses the item until you pay for it, which may harm them in that they need the money or something similar. There is obviously something of value lost in a kidnapping; the child had to be forced to come with you, possibly harmed to do so, the emotional distress of both the parents and the child as you held them captive. Can you come up with an actual argument now?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I'm not saying it is.

My point is that compliance with the law doesn't change the fact that you broke the law beforehand.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm not asking you what the law is. I'm asking you what's right and what's wrong.

You shouldn't base your arguments on the law, it should work the other way around. "I believe that this is wrong, so I'm going to try to make it illegal", not "it's illegal, so it must be wrong!" Look at your own beliefs and what you think instead of just resorting to what's illegal. Do you think it's wrong to pirate something and then buy it later, assuming that the payment isn't time-based like WoW? Why?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Piracy is stealing. Your taking a product without buying it.

What part of theft/stealing do YOU find morally correct? Unless your robbing banks and donating all the money to the homeless or something like that, then theft is almost never the moral 'high ground'.

So, do you find thievery to be morally acceptable? Or do you tolerate it to a certian extent before condemning it?

Loosly based analogy, but pirating something and then buying a copy is like sinning and buying a 'indulgence' from the priest to absolve yourself of it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Piracy is not stealing, because the other person is not losing an actual copy of the item. While it's possible that the person will download the song/album/game/movie, watch it, and never pay for it when they would have paid for it if piracy was not an option (that last bit is important), it is not always the case so piracy is not always wrong. Piracy isn't "taking a product", it's digitally copying a digital product. There's 0 loss there unless the person would have bought it otherwise, which is the problem and why piracy is so hard to pinpoint exactly how much is lost by it. I know plenty of people that will watch a show online and, if that show wasn't available online, wouldn't watch it at all. Those people, from watching the show for free, are only helping the people that made the show. While they're not financially supporting the show, they would not have if that was their only option and so now someone who wouldn't have been a customer at all will spread how good the show is through word-of-mouth, and may be a customer in the future. That's the double-edged sword of piracy, and why it's not so cut-and-dry as you like to make it seem - people pirate for many, many reasons, some of them good for the company and some of them bad.

Your analogy is once again flawed (shocking, that) in the fact that buying an indulgence has nothing to do with the sin. It's more akin to stealing an item, and then paying for it later. Which to me, isn't a real problem. I wouldn't personally do it, but there's a reason why if something is stolen and then returned, stores don't generally pursue the thief in court. The item is back and that's what matters. I highly doubt there are many real-life cases of someone stealing something and then coming back with the money to pay for it (except for those accidental cases), but if they did that and were then prosecuted for theft I would feel that they were wronged.

Charlie Kelly

King of the Rats
    Years
  • ^
    I agree with everything in this post. I'm glad there's someone here that actually looks at things logically instead of grasping for an analogy, because, as said, there isn't anything exactly like piracy.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • since mega upload was shutdown, they also arrested the co founder of mega upload in new zealand when they found him in a mansion with a whole collection of cars and they also found out that he was from germany and they are still wondering how he got to new zealand. Since sopa/pipa was stopped because people started protesting against it they also putting another system called ACTA which is way worst than sopa/pipa thing and whats also worse is all the goverments includeing america will accpet the contract to stop copyright and it will also harm internet freedom of speech and creativity online.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Some dates about ACTA that you didn't bother posting.

ACTA has been in the works since 2008. The bill was finalized in April of 2011 and signed by various countries, including the US, on October 2011.

ACTA is old news.

Anyway, some definitions.

Steal [steel] Show IPA ,verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun
    verb (used with object)
    to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, especially secretly or by force.
    to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment.
    to take, get, or win insidiously, surreptitiously, subtly, or by chance.
    to move, bring, convey, or put secretly or quietly; smuggle (usually followed by away, from, in, into, etc.)

Copyright infringement applies for 1 and 2. You are taking the property of others without permission or right. In this case, Intellectual Property. And 2 because piracy is taking (appropriating) material without right.

The right to these items is obtained when you legally purchase the item and only apply for the item that you purchase.

To take doesn't apply to just physical items. It can apply to any item, be it physical or digital.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2012
    As many as 10,000 websites went black Wednesday, among them Wikipedia, Craigslist and Reddit. The protest helped to pressure lawmakers to oppose SOPA and PIPA.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • More news about MU.

MegaUpload has received a letter from the US Attorney informing the company that data uploaded by its users may be destroyed before the end of the week. The looming wipe-out is the result of MegaUpload's lack of funds to pay for the servers. Behind the scenes, MegaUpload is hoping to convince the US Government that it's in the best interest of everyone involved to allow users to access their data, at least temporarily.

In the wake of the MegaUpload shutdown many of the site's users have complained about the personal files that were lost as collateral damage.

From work-related data to personal photos, the raid disabled access to hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of files that are clearly not infringing. A recent announcement by the US Attorney now suggests that these files may soon be lost forever.

"We received a letter very late Friday from the US Attorney that declared there could be an imminent destruction of Megaupload consumer data files on this coming Thursday," MegaUpload lawyer Ira Rothken told TorrentFreak.

Rothken explains that MegaUpload is determined to protect the interests of its users, but that its hands are tied without help from the authorities. The looming data loss is linked to unpaid bills at Cogent Communications and Carpathia Hosting where MegaUpload leased some of its servers.

"We of course would like to think the United States and Megaupload would both be united in trying to avoid such a consumer protection calamity whereby innocent consumers could permanently lose access to everything from word processing files to family photos and many other things that could never practically be considered infringing," the lawyer told TorrentFreak.

"Megaupload's assets were frozen by the United States. Mega needs funds unfrozen to pay for bandwidth, hosting, and systems administration in order to allow consumers to get access to their data stored in the Mega cloud and to back up the same for safekeeping."

MegaUpload has contacted the US Attorney's office with a request to unfreeze assets including money and domains so users can get access to their personal data. If this doesn't happen, the consequences for many MegaUpload users and the future of other cloud hosting services will be disastrous.

"If the United States fails at helping protect and restore Megaupload consumer data in an expedient fashion, it will have a chilling effect on cloud computing in the United States and worldwide. It is one thing to bring a claim for copyright infringement it is another thing to take down an entire cloud storage service in Megaupload that has substantial non infringing uses as a matter of law," Rothken told us.

Meanwhile, MegaUpload users are also taking action themselves. Last week Pirate parties worldwide began making a list of all the people affected by the raids, and they are planning to file a complaint against authorities in the US. The EFF has also taken an interest in the issue, and is sharing data with the international Pirate parties.

For now, however, the more urgent matter is to ensure that the data doesn't get destroyed.

Update: The data is safe for two more weeks, at least.

Update: Carpathia Hosting sent us the following statement.

"In reference to the letter filed by the U.S. Department of Justice with the Eastern District of Virginia on Jan. 27, 2012, Carpathia Hosting does not have, and has never had, access to the content on MegaUpload servers and has no mechanism for returning any content residing on such servers to MegaUpload's customers. The reference to the Feb. 2, 2012 date in the Department of Justice letter for the deletion of content is not based on any information provided by Carpathia to the U.S. Government. We would recommend that anyone who believes that they have content on MegaUpload servers contact MegaUpload. Please do not contact Carpathia Hosting."

Another site that might be of intrest to those trying to recover lost data from MU.
    https://megaretrieval.com/

Back