• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Member of the Year Feedback Thread

Years
Don't know whether it was mentioned yet but I was glad the nominations like from last year were gone.

Also it seems to me like there are constantly categories that sound like they're aimed at a certain person and it's not a coincidence that usually that person ends up winning them too. I don't know if this is like a sort of running gag among the mods or whatever but it makes the whole contest come off as kind of silly or a big joke, it's hard to take it seriously when there's things like "person most likely to listen whitney houston cd's on repeat" or like last year "person most likely to hate wikileaks the most" or whatever it was, it's kind of obvious who those categories are for. But anyway I think it was better than last year.

And I can understand why some people don't like MOTY or are bothered by it like Droomph when there's a select few people that always win the same things. Like "most PC spirited", if that was Nica last year then it will be her this year, and the next lol, so it's just kind of silly.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say about MOTY. I don't really mind it, it was actually pretty decent this year. But the way some categories are aimed at certain people are kinda unfair. It might be a joke, but when we're constantly having to debate about it because members think it's a big popularity contest it seems rude to practically give members a MOTY position before it's even started.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Also it seems to me like there are constantly categories that sound like they're aimed at a certain person and it's not a coincidence that usually that person ends up winning them too. I don't know if this is like a sort of running gag among the mods or whatever but it makes the whole contest come off as kind of silly or a big joke, it's hard to take it seriously when there's things like "person most likely to listen whitney houston cd's on repeat" or like last year "person most likely to hate wikileaks the most" or whatever it was, it's kind of obvious who those categories are for. But anyway I think it was better than last year.

For that, WikiLeaks WAS a big thing in that year, and was in the news, and the same for Whitney Houston, because she did in fact die in 2012, I couldn't change that. If I could've prevented her death I would've, but she was a news-worthy figure of the year due to that and given that it was 2012 in review, summarising big events, and relating people to it as a "fun category" (which is what the _ in review was originally for) then really it's not the problem of the winner. Even so, Harlequin won it because he was well known with his liking for Whitney, the point of MotY is voting for who you want, not the winner, and rather just see who fits into what categories - apparently not that many others were affected by the death and that's unfortunate, but you could vote more than one person and if people can only think of one person to vote for in that category out of 300,000 members, well... then that's really not the fault of the ballot and it's the fault of simply not knowing that many others. It wasn't aimed specifically at anyone, and no categories have set out winners, it's just coincidental that he obsessed the most ;(

You guys had options, keep in mind. If you didn't think Harley deserved the title, then those who voted for him shouldn't have voted him for the title. It's just a fun contest, it doesn't mean anything really.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
For that, WikiLeaks WAS a big thing in that year, and was in the news, and the same for Whitney Houston, because she did in fact die in 2012, I couldn't change that. If I could've prevented her death I would've, but she was a news-worthy figure of the year due to that and given that it was 2012 in review, summarising big events, and relating people to it as a "fun category" (which is what the _ in review was originally for) then really it's not the problem of the winner. Even so, Harlequin won it because he was well known with his liking for Whitney, the point of MotY is voting for who you want, not the winner, and rather just see who fits into what categories - apparently not that many others were affected by the death and that's unfortunate, but you could vote more than one person and if people can only think of one person to vote for in that category out of 300,000 members, well... then that's really not the fault of the ballot and it's the fault of simply not knowing that many others. It wasn't aimed specifically at anyone, and no categories have set out winners, it's just coincidental that he obsessed the most ;(

You guys had options, keep in mind. If you didn't think Harley deserved the title, then those who voted for him shouldn't have voted him for the title. It's just a fun contest, it doesn't mean anything really.
Please, if one member constantly quotes everywhere how much she hates Wikileaks and next there's that specific category in the ballot then it's kind of obvious lol, but not that it still matters.

Also I never said that he didn't deserve it. I don't think you really got the point but whatever, it was an example, and the point was that having such specific categories that very obviously only fit a few people doesn't really work in your favour if you're trying to argue that it's not a popularity contest. Also, being affected by her death has absolutely nothing to do with it, if you like her music you like her music, whether she passed or not.

Anyways, this is not personal on you or whoever, just pointing it out seeing how you know this is a feedback thread and all.

Last edited:

Pinta77

As long as bobandbill placed for best avatar, I'm happy. :P

Back