• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Merry Christmas!" vs. "Happy Holidays!"

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    I think that is ridiculous, another example of how Americans choose the power of law sue over anything else, on what account are they suing the stores? for hurting the feelings of the Jews/Buddhist/Other religion,

I think it's pointless and that this ACLU should really think before they preach, because now they are forcing there believes up on other people.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Surely in Christian countries it should be fine to do so. I don't celebrate Christmas and happen to live on one such country and I'm not offended or anything at all.

Some people are just acting up, being stupid, all of that crap. It's like a child having a temper tantrum just because you won't buy him an ice-cream.

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    Surely in Christian countries it should be fine to do so. I don't celebrate Christmas and happen to live on one such country and I'm not offended or anything at all.

Some people are just acting up, being stupid, all of that crap. It's like a child having a temper tantrum just because you won't buy him an ice-cream.
    I know, that is so true, I think people are just acting up,,,,

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I prefer Merry Christmas,though Happy Holidays is exceptional ;p,I hear way to much people say "Happy Holiday's" I'm okay with it though,besides people have the right to speak there own preferable way.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I found a particular article straight from the ACLU website, explain their position on this issue:

https://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/22324res20051207.html

While they claim that no active lawsuits have been filed against the words "Merry Christmas", they have filed countless other "Christmas related" ones, including plenty regarding the public displaying of the nativity scene much like what Amachi said.

I'm not religious at all. I don't even believe in God, or any god for that matter. But I still celebrate Christmas. It's a national holiday that has become a tradition in this country, and plenty of people celebrate it without embracing the religious aspects of it. If this is so, then "Merry Christmas" is perfectly acceptable.

And since we're at it, let's ban the words "Merry Christmas" from all those carols, eh? People don't seem to be too offended by those =P

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    Alright, first let me start off by saying that, although I was raised catholic, I don't consider myself a religious person. At all.

However, regardless of your religion, this time of the year seems important to just about everyone. My friends that I know celebrate Christmas, I greet with "Merry Christmas." My Jewish friends I'll greet with "Happy Hanukah ." Anyone else will just get a "Happy Holidays." I understand the whole Politically Correct view on this, especially in public places. I mean, it's an important time of year for many different religions, not just Christians, so a store-greeter saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone passing through, even if they don't celebrate the holiday, could be offensive :/

I don't think it's a huge deal when this happens, I just think it's a bit inconsiderate to those of other religious beliefs, even if it's said with good intent.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    But...there's nothing offensive about it. We're saying "have a nice day" basically, we're not trying to recruit anyone.

A store owner can say whatever he wants because it's private property. It's not publicly owned. He can put up a menorah or a nativity scene or whatever he wants.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I don't personally know anyone who gets offended by stuff like this except young teens who think it's cool to hate religion. "OMG THEY'RE FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON ME" when, um, no, they're just wishing you a "Merry Christmas." It's not like they're ranting and raving about how Jesus was born and he's the savior and if you're a non-believer you're going to hell, etc. If they were, yeah, I'd see cause for concern.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it's still a national holiday. It's Christmas Day on every calendar. It's internationally recognized. What's wrong with wishing someone a merry one whether they celebrate it or not?

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    I don't personally know anyone who gets offended by stuff like this except young teens who think it's cool to hate religion. "OMG THEY'RE FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON ME" when, um, no, they're just wishing you a "Merry Christmas." It's not like they're ranting and raving about how Jesus was born and he's the savior and if you're a non-believer you're going to hell, etc. If they were, yeah, I'd see cause for concern.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it's still a national holiday. It's Christmas Day on every calendar. It's internationally recognized. What's wrong with wishing someone a merry one whether they celebrate it or not?

I so agree with you, everybody knows Christmas is all about fun, and no one is forcing others to celebrate it, people just want to be nice and polite, and how are people suppose to know if other people don't believe in Christmas, it's not like people have it written on your their face "I don't celebrate Christmas".

Well this just shows us that some people just don't grow up from the whole "OMG THEY'RE FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON ME" face.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I would say anything they want! Besides Merry Christmas is in the songs and every calendar! Ugh, my principal has deleted every single song that says Merry Christmas!

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    I would say anything they want! Besides Merry Christmas is in the songs and every calendar! Ugh, my principal has deleted every single song that says Merry Christmas!
    What why did he do that?

And how?

From where did he delete them?

Did you just hand him your I-pod?

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    But...there's nothing offensive about it. We're saying "have a nice day" basically, we're not trying to recruit anyone.

I personally don't see anything offensive about it, don't get me wrong. It's just that, well, hearing about some of these recent cases of people complaining about being greeted with a "Merry Christmas," apparently some others do. Same with the "Under God" section of the US pledge of allegiance.

Yeah, it is considered a national holiday, but that doesn't change the fact that it did originate as a religious day. I myself just look at it as a general time of year for celebration, but lets not forget its roots =/

...Dude, I know so many people like this it's not even funny. I'm an atheist, yeah, but I'm not one of those people who runs around, criticizing everyone for their religious beliefs, just to make themselves look cool. I think that since there are so many of us at this point in time, not believing in a higher being doesn't make you a "rebel" anymore. Plus, those types of people are no better than the religious fanatics who actually do try to push their religion on you xD;

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    Why are people making things so difficult, really?

Just outlaw freedom of speech and get it over with.

Problem solved.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    When I cash people at my job, I just say "you have a good holiday", although if they say merry christmas I'll give one back. It doesn't bother me, and I have no problem having or wanting to say either.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    How in the world can someone actually be offended by "Merry Christmas"?

What is the name of the holiday on the 25th?

Christmas.

Ok. Case closed, when I see someone around Christmas I will wish them a Merry Christmas.

Heartless33

Master Cloner
    Years
    I think they should say "marry christmas" because it's christmas and it needs to be called that and if they say "happy holidays" then the other person will no have a clue on what holiday.

Years
    Well as you know Aura...I still preffer "Merry Christmas" since I am much more used to it after living most of my life in the Philippines. And it's true that "Christmas Celebration" has been secularized so there is no need to turn to such bland things as "Happy Holidays" Hey if the Japanese celebrate Christmas w/o being Christians there is no need to fight over this. But I don't mind saying which name the holidays that coincide in Winter has. ^_^ Just as long as we don't fight over it. =P

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2017
    I HATE political correctness... I mean come on whats so bad about saying Merry Christmas to someone? So what if they don't believe in Christianity, you should at least acknowledge that someone wishes you a good holiday and reply with for example "Happy Holidays to you too."

It is also like "Santa" with his Hohoho... If you don't know what a Ho is, well GoogleIT... Anyway to make it Politically Correct for this day and age the government wants it changed to Hehehe (Makes santa sound like he is the little girl).

Those are TRADITIONAL FESTIVE sayings and we should not say them in public?

What has this world come to >.<

Back