• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I wrote a blog post about this debate about a month ago, so I have quite a lot to say about this! That said, I'll try not to rabbit endlessly about it all though.

I say Merry Christmas. To me, it just sound a bit more... jolly. Happy Holidays, or the way my accent forces me to say it, sounds quite sarcastic and sad. People who get offended by people wishing them a happy holidays really annoy me because someone - in the middle of cold, dark season - is reaching out to this person with a positive greeting, and this person is turning them away? Chirstmas is a time of good will and charity, if someone wished me a Happy Holidays, I would be thankful. If somebody wished me a Merry Christmas, I would be thankful. If someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah, or Eid Mubarak, I would be grateful for that as well.

I don't know why people seem to think Happy Holidays is meant to be a part of some war on Christmas - and by extension Christianity. It's an inclusive term made to include all of the winter holidays, such as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Diwali, Eid, HumanLight, New Year, and Yule, among various others. Christmas isn't THE winter holiday, it is one of many. People shouldn't be getting so worked up because it's not singled out among all others, as that would be a war on all celebrations that aren't Christmas.

Sorry about the rant :D

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I have never once in my life said "Happy Holidays" lol. I had no idea people outside of big companies in America ever said that! "Merry Christmas" was always the thing you said, while "Happy Holidays" was the thing that you'd sometimes find printed on Christmas paraphernalia.

I had no idea this "Happy Holidays" P.C. thing was happening lol. That's ridiculous.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I use to say "Merry Christmas" but ever since I entered the 11th grade, I destroyed that habit and started to say "happy holidays" because not everyone celebrates Christmas and I do have a couple of friends that celebrate Chanukah and Kwanzaa and its also good to realize that Christmas is not the only holiday in December.

:t354:TG

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I'll write here what I wrote on the political correctness blog:

How about people shouldn't get offended if someone wishes them a Merry Christmas because it is the same exact thing as meaning kindest regards. To get offended over that is pretty rude, IMO. Some people should get off their high horse and realize they're not entitled to special treatment or to be singled out. Political Correctness occurs when you are trying not to be rude.. and there is nothing rude about wishing someone good tidings.

If I said "Have a good Thor's Day" it would be silly for a Christian to get offended. They know I am referring to a day of the week (Thursday,) and just because they use a different term it really shouldn't override the sentiments.

Merry Christmas it is.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Everyone I know uses "Christmas" as a generic name for this time of the year, regardless of their beliefs, so I go with that. I wouldn't mind saying just "holidays" if anyone asked me to, but I'm an atheist myself and I have never used that.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I usually say Merry Christmas as I do come from a Christian country. I don't understand why people get so angry when people say Merry Christmas, so they have to replace it with Happy Holidays. imo, I don't care about the way people greet people on Christmas, as it's just all about having a good time.

Back