• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2020
I found my old Silver Version, but...

I've had this game for a loooooooooooong time. A year after they released in America. However I lost it a few years after I'd gotten it (2004) and it went missing for... About 9 years. 9 years it's been lost. I just found it last year (April 2013) and I got so excited, and even better is that I'd gotten a GameBoy Color for Christmas in 2011, so I was thinking I could re-experience the nostalgic feel of playing Silver on a GBC. I was disappointed though because the game is extremely difficult to get working now, and when it does load, it freezes really early into the game. I've been able to save a few times, and pick a Pokémon twice, but once it freezes, everything is erased. Oh, everything was erased when I found it but honestly I was expecting that. I noticed that something is loose inside because when I pick it up, I can feel something moving around. I think something might be wrong inside or something but I don't know. Is there a way I can fix this or is it forever broken?

Last edited:

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
No problem, would be glad to help you out. I too, got Silver back in the day when it was just released. I still have that same game, eventhough my Silver is so old, that some of the connector pins are damaged in my case, resulting that I can never save again :( I bought a new Silver cartridge though.

Being lost for so long, I am glad you found it. Too bad that there is a problem with your game though :( I think it is very likely that there are some small parts inside that are broken, this isn't a good sign. The game cartridges are really fragile and so is the internal chip part. It's also possible some tiny connectors inside on the chip wich contains all game data came loose and therefore, is damaged. This can't be fixed unfortunately, so I'm afraid you will have to buy a new Silver game, but this isn't impossible. I don't know where you are from, but I am a game collector (especially Pokemon games) so if I know where you are from I can recommend some great websites that still sell these games :)

It's still possible to buy the good old games. When you do obtain another copy, you can enjoy the game again in full glory without freezing issues, good luck and I hope I helped you out with this! :)

Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2020
It's still possible to buy the good old games. When you do obtain another copy, you can enjoy the game again in full glory without freezing issues, good luck and I hope I helped you out with this! :)

Dang, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Ah well, it's a good antique item, I'll just keep it as a part of a collection and buy another soon. Thanks for the help.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I agree that it sounds unlikely that you'll be able to fix it, but since it's not under warrantee and doesn't work anyway, you could try opening it up and see if there's an obvious fix. Given the freezes, I would be surprised if you found anything that you could fix yourself, but if it's 9 years old and you haven't replaced the internal battery yet, you'll probably need to do that before you can save regardless, so it can't hurt to unscrew the cartridge and take a look. If you need help doing that, there are a lot of guides online that explain how to do it.

You may be able to find another version of Silver somewhere to play (you may have to replace the battery on that one as well), so definitely consider looking around for one if it's important to you.

Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2020
Well what screwdriver should I use to open it? I'm looking at it right now and I'm pretty confused by the look of the nail...

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
This video is helpful. Use a screwdriver, or two, to unscrew the back of the cartridge and it will open. Next, if it does not look like the cartridge in the video then something is messed up and you won't be able to fix it. If everything looks exactly the same, then it's probably the battery. Use a small screwdriver, to carefully remove the battery then replace it. It's a lithium battery and older so I'm not sure if they sell them in stores anymore, but you should be able to find one on Ebay. Once you have a new battery, use electrical tape to put the battery back in place and your game should be working fine. If this doesn't work, then you will be better off buying a new Pokemon Silver or using an Emulator.My friend and I did this with my old Pokemon Silver and it actually worked. If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to ask me via a visitor message or private message, and I'll do all that I can to help. Check out this video below for more details:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 5, 2014
I just feel like the Original is really cool in the sense that you can play in both kanto and johto. It's cool and I hope to beat it soon so I can move on to GEN 3!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 13, 2014
Pokemon crystal playthrough team setup!

Hello guys. Yesterday i noticed my game boy color lying down on the table and figured i should replay my Pokemon crystal game(It's my all time favorite video game. Got it for my 12th or 13th birthday and now i'm 22. Still enjoying it). I usually have a team setup i tend to stick to. I get one of the starters. Then i pick up spearow, caterpie(evolve it it butterfree of course) and a geodude. I wreck first 2 gyms with this setup. Then i pick up an Abra and a Machop. At this time i usually drop my butterfree, cause i won't need it as i have a Kadabra. I save the last slot for either suicune or something from the remaining 2 types my starter doesn't cover(if i pick Totodile, for example, i would pick something from fire or grass type). And i pretty much complete the game with this setup.

But i was wondering if there are any alternatives for the playthrough? Maybe picking up a growlithe or gastly on early game or a bellsprout. I'm just looking for alternative ways of completing the game, cause i've been using this variation for over 6-7 years now, and it is getting a little bit boring.

Also, share the pokemon setups you use through your playthrough.

Years
I've never played G/S/C so I don't have a setup I go with. If you're getting bored with that setup, why don't you check out the Challenges section on these forums? I was looking it over yesterday and found the Random Pokemon Challenge. Maybe that's something you should attempt on Crystal and see if that spices things up?

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2022
If you wanna add a Gastly to your team, I'd recommend using it to replace Abra, since they're pretty similar though. To be honest though, if you have no way of trading with someone else, you can find better alternatives to Abra, Machop, Gastly and Geodude, since you can't fully evolve any of them.

If you don't choose Totodile, Wooper's a solid choice for a Ground-type to replace Geodude, since it gets Ice Punch for Lance, Surf, and Earthquake by level up Drowzee's a nice Psychic type that you can get on the same route as Abra, and it can take way more hits. You're not exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to other Fighting types... Heracross is pretty cool if you can find one, otherwise you might find Tauros, Snubbull or Nidoran to be a nice hard-hitting replacement. Also, you should be good using anything that comes out of the Odd Egg you get at the Daycare.

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
red and blue problem

hey guys I'm playing red and blue from my Gameboy advance sp's and I was trying to get 100% pokedex complete as you know then you need to trade so I hoked up the 4 way trading cable made by kmo I just bought and the game just doesn't seem to know there is a trading cable there sometimes one of the Gameboys will see it but never enough to make a trade what am I doing wrong?

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Mar 8, 2015
I've never used a 4-way cable, but is there possibly a configuration for just 2 gameboys over 4? (example: If you're just using 2, #1 goes to cable port A and #2 at cable port B)

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Well I've tried every combination of the 4 cables but it's the same result everytime it seems like

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Is the cable designed for GameBoy, or GameBoy Advance? I'm pretty sure only GB cables (and not GBA ones) will work with gen 1 and 2 games (you'll want to use a GB cable, even though you're trading using GBA SPs--the cable will still fit into the ports fine).

If the cable is designed for GB (not GBA), then I'm not sure what the problem is. When you say that one GameBoy sometimes picks up on the cable, is it always the system that's plugged into one particular end of the cable? Sometimes the ends aren't identical, though I'm not sure why that would create a problem here. It's also possible that there's a broken wire or something like that somewhere inside the cable, which you wouldn't necessarily be able to detect from the outside.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
Ok so i have this crystal cartridge my aunt got me for christmas and its in great condition and seems to be great. well it worked on my gameboy advanced for a while and then it stopped. like it wont even turn the game on. it does the gameboy *ding* and then it seems like its going to the game but the screen turns white and wont even get the game going. so i switched the game battery out thinking that might help. it worked for a little bit again, then quit. and i keep trying to get it to work on my gameboy color and it wont. and now im playing it on my n64 stadium 2? it works fine on stadium 2. i saved my game and turned it off and got back on it and it kept my save.
so i put it back in my gameboy and it still wont work again. then i switch it back to my n64 and it works great, and has my save that i just did before i switched it to my gameboy? WHAT IS WRONG? Please can someone answer?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Ok so i have this crystal cartridge my aunt got me for christmas and its in great condition and seems to be great. well it worked on my gameboy advanced for a while and then it stopped. like it wont even turn the game on. it does the gameboy *ding* and then it seems like its going to the game but the screen turns white and wont even get the game going. so i switched the game battery out thinking that might help. it worked for a little bit again, then quit. and i keep trying to get it to work on my gameboy color and it wont. and now im playing it on my n64 stadium 2? it works fine on stadium 2. i saved my game and turned it off and got back on it and it kept my save.
so i put it back in my gameboy and it still wont work again. then i switch it back to my n64 and it works great, and has my save that i just did before i switched it to my gameboy? WHAT IS WRONG? Please can someone answer?

Do other games work in your gameboy? If the game works fine on Stadium 2, and holds the save, then it doesn't seem like it's a battery issue or a fake cartridge issue. It sounds like your gameboy isn't registering the cartridge for whatever reason. Maybe there's something wrong with the connectors in your GBA that connect to the game.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
Do other games work in your gameboy? If the game works fine on Stadium 2, and holds the save, then it doesn't seem like it's a battery issue or a fake cartridge issue. It sounds like your gameboy isn't registering the cartridge for whatever reason. Maybe there's something wrong with the connectors in your GBA that connect to the game.

well it doesnt hold the save anymore, it lost it lol. but yes all games work on it except crystal. and maybe it doesnt register it but neither does the gba so idk. someones x version isnt recognized on their 3ds so idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back