• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Metal fans?

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
    Hell yeah. I'd heard they were going to be at warped tour and figured I finally had a reason to go. Turns out the tickets were sold out by the time I heard.
    Gloryhammer is pretty good as well. Been shuffling between Civil War, Sabaton, Powerwolf, Iced Earth, Kamelot, and some oldies such as Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, and Ronnie James KONO Dio DA.

Years
    I prefer plastic fans

Been reminded of some bands and music I used to listen to. Blind Guardian was one I had several albums from. Lately I've listened to a lot of Babymetal (which I understand is a dangerous this to say in the presence of metal purists) and some other Japanese groups like X Japan, Light Bringer, and others I can't remember the names of.

Urist McHemlock

Years
    I prefer plastic fans

Been reminded of some bands and music I used to listen to. Blind Guardian was one I had several albums from. Lately I've listened to a lot of Babymetal (which I understand is a dangerous this to say in the presence of metal purists) and some other Japanese groups like X Japan, Light Bringer, and others I can't remember the names of.
    We won't cannibalize you for liking Babymetal.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    What do ya'll think of "poser" bands (I put it in quotes because its debatable and really left to opinion) like Black Veil Brides, Suicide Silence, Bring Me the Horizon, and the like?

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Alestorm is definitely some good stuff. Been listening to Drink while drinking beer.

At least their covers for "In the Navy" and "You are a pirate" are very fun to listen to! ^.^

What do ya'll think of "poser" bands (I put it in quotes because its debatable and really left to opinion) like Black Veil Brides, Suicide Silence, Bring Me the Horizon, and the like?

I am not a fan of any of those bands, but not because they are "poser" bands. I think music is supposed to be fun, and everyone should be able to find music they enjoy. If that music is by one of these "poser" bands, then that is fine! Life is too short to worry about what people think of you due to your taste in music ^-^.

I like Rebel Lovesong by Black Veil Brides. I think it's fun to listen to, but I can't get into any other of their songs, let alone albums.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    At least their covers for "In the Navy" and "You are a pirate" are very fun to listen to! ^.^

I am not a fan of any of those bands, but not because they are "poser" bands. I think music is supposed to be fun, and everyone should be able to find music they enjoy. If that music is by one of these "poser" bands, then that is fine! Life is too short to worry about what people think of you due to your taste in music ^-^.

I like Rebel Lovesong by Black Veil Brides. I think it's fun to listen to, but I can't get into any other of their songs, let alone albums.

I think Bring Me the Horizon gets a lot of crap, but their album That's The Spirit isnt that bad. The lead vocalist's screaming voice is awful, but thankfully the band doesnt utilize that too much in that album. Ill have to listen to the album again to hear if they use too much synthesizer (a common thing among "poser" bands) in their songs. In my opinion, metal is not about electronic instrumentals in the slightest. For example, Helloween lost a ton of their following when they started using synthesizers in their music.

Admittedly, I have not listened to stuff from Asking Alexandria and Black Veil Brides, so I suppose I cant judge them without a solid listen. I should, but the old school stuff is just too good lol

Urist McHemlock

Years
    I think Bring Me the Horizon gets a lot of crap, but their album That's The Spirit isnt that bad. The lead vocalist's screaming voice is awful, but thankfully the band doesnt utilize that too much in that album. Ill have to listen to the album again to hear if they use too much synthesizer (a common thing among "poser" bands) in their songs. In my opinion, metal is not about electronic instrumentals in the slightest. For example, Helloween lost a ton of their following when they started using synthesizers in their music.

Admittedly, I have not listened to stuff from Asking Alexandria and Black Veil Brides, so I suppose I cant judge them without a solid listen. I should, but the old school stuff is just too good lol
    Same, but I have listened to a song that is called Staple tapeworms on, well you probably know the rest.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    I been listening to metal for almost 20 years now, huge fan of Thrash Metal and Death Metal

I listen a lot to Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Morbid Angel, Bloodbath, Divine Empire, Narjahanam, Machetazo, Xordeal, Grave, Deicide, Impaled, Death

GarlandChaos

Holy Diver
    Years
    What years would y'all say were/are/whatever the best in metal?

I'd say 1980-1992/1993. I believe the latter is when things started going bit...haywire, but that's just me, since quite a few metal bands that were rather popular back in the '80s kinda got thrown under the bus once grunge kicked in, unfortunately.

At the same time, however, the early 90s gave us The Black Album, Painkiller, and Rust In Peace, among others, so it ain't all bad.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    I'd say 1980-1992/1993. I believe the latter is when things started going bit...haywire, but that's just me, since quite a few metal bands that were rather popular back in the '80s kinda got thrown under the bus once grunge kicked in, unfortunately.

At the same time, however, the early 90s gave us The Black Album, Painkiller, and Rust In Peace, among others, so it ain't all bad.

I agree 100%... I would have said the exact same thing: 1980-early 90's

GarlandChaos

Holy Diver
    Years
    On the topic of more recent metal, however, after listening to the entire Hell On Earth album earlier today, I've come to like Toxic Holocaust. It's black metal so there is screaming/growling/whatever you wanna call it, but...I actually enjoyed it, especially since it's also a thrash metal album and band. Black thrash, you could say.

Funny thing about that band, actually: The first three albums, if I remember correctly, were all written, recorded, and performed by one dude: Joel Grind. He had a backing band during live shows, and TH became a full-on band after An Overdose of Death..., I believe. It's pretty damn fast and aggressive stuff, and honestly kind of campy, although I'm not sure if that's the intention or not because...well, it's black metal. Self-explanatory, yeah?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm on board with 1990. Blind Guardian, Accept, Judas Priest, Carnage, Suicidal Tendencies--so many bands were at the top of their game around that time.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    1980 is also my answer. Also Toxic Holocaust sounds like something I could enjoy, gonna give it a listen.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    Metal head and rapper/lyricist here

I love metal music, especially 80s metal like Slayer, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth but I also like death metal like Cradle of Filth and Bloodbath, and Children of Bodom is probably my favorite technical death metal band. There's a lot of metal I listen to. Just don't like most hardcore/metalcore/screamo... I prefer thrash and death metal.

Last edited:

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    What years would y'all say were/are/whatever the best in metal?

I don't think I have a favorite year for metal but most of the bands I like to listen are more "modern" I believe, starting on 90's and above.

Rabinov said:
    with that in mind, what would be like your top 5 metal bands?

Very good question! Hmm:

1. Paradise Lost
    2. Septicflesh
    3. Nightwish
    4. Therion
    5. Probably Epica? This one changes a lot ^^

Back