• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Mew Glitch

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • Did you guys ever use the Mew Glitch where you could secretly obtain Mew? I know I did! I wanted to complete my Pokedex, and as a young kid playing the games, who wouldn't want some kick-ass pink Pokemon that can learn any move in the games and totally destroy any opposition?

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Yes, I did it for curiosity. It was in my Hall of Fame too but it was on the last minute which I decided to put an underlevelled Mew when battling the E4, and before that I didn't even use Mew.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2017
    I never used it in time i have playing the RBY, i didn't own internet or pc.
    But if i'm again playing it i will use it. x3

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Back when I was playing RBY when it was first released, I didn't because it hadn't been discovered yet.

Now, I do it every time I replay RBY :P . It just became a thing to do.

The one time I did put in my team, however, I barely ever used it in battle. Two of its four moves were HMs and two other ones were low-precision powerful moves (one of them was Thunder, if memory serves) , basically my Mew was half HM slave, half last resort. I ended up not using it at all during the Elite Four, and finished off Blue's Blastoise with a Butterfree, of all things.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I used the Mew glitch once, but the cart essentially became unusable shortly thereafter, and I've always been a little wary of it since. I have a feeling that the problem with the cart might have been caused by something other than the Mew glitch, but I don't know, so I tend to avoid doing it (or other glitches that actually screw up your save file) on my physical cartridges. But it was a lot of fun to do, and it was neat to find Mew after all those years. I haven't decided whether I'll try to do it on the VC release or not (assuming the glitch is still there).

I did obtain a Mew from a friend of a friend to complete my Pokedex in Gold, but I have a feeling it was hacked. No way to prove it one way or the other, though; the file is long gone.

(On a somewhat unrelated note, the cartridge issue was with Blue, and it would freeze every time I tried to display a text box or do anything else. I couldn't start a new game, either [it would freeze on the Oak screen and make a Gastly type cry followed by other noise]. I finally found a reference to a similar issue several years after it happened, but I still haven't been clear about what caused it [just bad luck with the cartridge wearing out? Something else?], and all of my other games are fine. Has anyone else here had something similar happen to a game?)

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I never used it back in the days when I played through RBY frequently; it just wasn't a known glitch back then.

A part of my childhood self was elated when I learned this glitch even existed. Finally there was a real way to get a Mew after all those years of trying to move that truck... haha.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    Never used it in any of the times I've played through. In fact, I still don't even know what the specifics of the glitch are though I suppose I could Google it and find out.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Whenever I'm feeling like roleplaying Cooltrainer(m) from Stadium 1, I pull Mew from its resting place to join my forces. But normally I prefer Alakazam, it's ultimately inferior but I like its design much better.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2016
    Yes,i used this glitch only for fun.Imho the best metod is with Abra at Cerulean City.

Years
  • I played through RB a few times without knowing about the glitch; I had a PC and the internet, but at the start, I had no real interest in glitching stuff.

Then I started to fill my Pokédex, and Mew was one of the very few I had zero access to. No events in my hometown, no Action Replay/Gameshark available either. I started hunting glitches down, then came across that particular Surf glitch. I restarted the save file, prepped myself, caught a Mew... and it went downhill from there. I went through playthroughs were I'd abuse the hell out of it, and others which I decided that nope, I wouldn't.

Man, I miss that glitch. I'll probably do it for the lulz once it's out on 3DS VC, to catch every Pokémon again... then I'll wipe and restart it all again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a nostalgia trip to go through.

Cam

dum camel
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2022
    I did it to get Mew and Gengar since i don't have a link cable to get it legit.

ManaphyLv100

Legendary Ranger
    Years
  • Man, the Mew Glitch was amazing. I used it once to get the glitch Pokémon called X-x on Yellow. That thing kicked serious butt. And of course I used it to get Mew (which I then traded to Crystal to get to 250/251 - my first complete Pokédex!)
    (Incidentally, I think I called myself D,x,y,z or something random on that file. I love glitches!)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I haven't tried this infamous glitch, I first heard about this glitch was like around year 2006-2008? And my Gen I games are either lost or dead, plus my main focus was Gen III and Gen IV.

If I've heard about this glitch while my games are still intact, I think I might give it a try.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Afaik you can get up to 3 Mew that way. I managed to get two of them, one of them being my HM slave (because who needs Flash anyway?).

I've also had a playthrough where I got myself a Gengar the same way.

Reactions: Sun

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I always do the Mew glitch just because it's so easy to get; I do the one on Nugget Bridge before you even challenge Misty, the one with the trainer between Saffron and Lavender just seems like more of a hassle.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
    Years
  • I used it for Mew, and also to catch every other Pokémon in the game without trading. Completing the Pokédex in Gen 1 is a piece of cake now.

ManaphyLv100

Legendary Ranger
    Years
  • Afaik you can get up to 3 Mew that way. I managed to get two of them, one of them being my HM slave (because who needs Flash anyway?).

I've also had a playthrough where I got myself a Gengar the same way.

Actually, you can get as many Mew as there are skippable trainers that can be triggered from a distance minus one. There are two easy ones; you have to use the extended Mew Glitch to get any more.

Back