• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mewtwo, Mew, and Differences Between the Anime and Games

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Dr. Fuji said:
    We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon... and we succeeded.
    A few months ago, a new Pokémon was revealed. The newcomer to X and Y turned out to be a new forme for the gen one legendary, Mewtwo.

Mewtwo_forme_zps88ea7e8a.png

This definitely poses some interesting questions, such as the significance of genetics in X and Y--the Japanese logos contain double helixes, after all. But that is not the topic for this blog entry. I would much rather discuss the creation of the original legendary, Mewtwo.

Some people think they already know the story of Mewtwo. "Team Rocket hired Dr. Fuji to clone Mew and create the strongest Pokémon, right?" Well, yes. In the movies, that's exactly what happens. But as many Pokémon fans know, the games exist in their own sort of universe separate from the spin-off games, movies, anime, and even the various manga. So if I were to ask you, "How was Mewtwo created in the games?" what would you answer?

"Well, uh, in the Cinnabar Mansion journals it says that Mew, uh...gave birth? Yeah...the 1 foot 4, 8.8 pound Mew gave birth to Mewtwo, the 6 foot 7, 269 pound beast. And then some...cloning I guess? Fuji did something after that..."

If that's how you answered, well, that is actually just fine! The games are incredibly vague and, if the movie is your best recollection of Mewtwo's backstory, don't seem to make much sense at first glance. I mean, if Mew gave birth to Mewtwo, why did Fuji need to step in? Was it even Fuji in the games who worked on Mewtwo? What is the connection between kind old Mr. Fuji and the Doctor? And was Team Rocket involved in any way?

I hope this (long, so please bear with me!) analysis helps you form your own opinions on how exactly Mewtwo was created in the games versus the first movie!

So, let us start at the very beginning....

Faraway_Island_Mew_zps409a2edc.png

Mew

Mew is an interesting Pokémon. Once thought to be the ancestor of all Pokémon, this Psychic-Type cutie can learn all TMs and is known to have given birth to "Mewtwo."

PokéDex said:
    A Pokémon of South America that was thought to have been extinct. It is very intelligent and learns any move.
    Wow, thought to have gone extinct! Obviously it is very rare--regular Pokémon do not have to worry about extinction because they can breed. But what about legendary Pokémon? There must be a way to keep their species going...

FL_Pokemon_Mansion_zpsf1076da2.png

Cinnabar Island Pokémon Mansion

This is where most of the analysis happens. The Pokémon Mansion is where the player can find remnants of a diary detailing the discovery of Mew and the creation of Mewtwo. The best way to go about this, in my opinion, is to scrutinize each one and create a timeline.

Diary: July 5

Guyana, South America
    A new Pokémon was discovered deep in the jungle.
    Hey, that wasn't so bad!

Diary: July 10

We christened the newly discovered Pokémon, Mew.
    Another easy one.
    Note that the Japanese text uses the word わたし (I), and not われわれ or わたしたち (we).

Diary: Feb. 6

Mew gave birth.
    We named the newborn Mewtwo.
    Here is where things get interesting. Mew gives birth...and the writer of these journals (I will refer to the writer as singular, as that has been established by the Japanese texts) names it "Mewtwo." Obviously, it would be kind of strange for Mew to just give birth to a Mewtwo right away. So what exactly is happening here?

First, notice that Mew was found on July 5th, and five days later it was named (we can safely assume they did not take a whole year to name it). Then, the next diary entry is on February 6th...seven months later.

Here's where you can begin to piece together your own opinion on this subject. Anything could have happened in those seven months. We don't even know why this person was in South America to begin with...so, the idea that Mew was taken to a lab to be artificially impregnated is just as likely as the idea that the journal writer is watching Mew in its natural habitat. Mew, by way of populating its species, gave birth to another Mew, and the journal writer, thinking that, as some gamers put it, "there is only one legendary per game," decided to give it its own name separate from its parent--OR, the journal writer took the Mew back to his lab, where it there naturally or artificially gave birth to another Mew, that was then named Mewtwo.

Diary: Sept. 1

Mewtwo is far too powerful.
    We have failed to curb its vicious tendencies…
    Another seven months pass, and all of a sudden Mewtwo is this powerful creature who destroys the Pokémon Mansion and escapes to the Cerulean Cave. Wow. Either that escalated quickly, or it took its time.

Back