• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Miami Surfside Collapse - Cutting corners to save money

Years
    As I'm sure you are all aware, late last month, part of a condo complex collapsed in Miami. Killing 46 (as of today).
    The cause is believed to be a structural failure caused by a improperly built pool deck. Concerns about the structural integrity were brought up many times, starting in 2018. Why was it ignored for so long?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfside_condominium_building_collapse

I feel like more and more of these will happen, as infrastructure ages and is poorly maintained.

Years
    I am neither American nor do I ever watch the news, so unaware-living-under-a-rock-person here...
    haven't heard any of my relatives talk of it either so it most likely did not make the news here anyway.
    Edit: looking at google, it did make the news... guess my relatives live under rocks now too xD

Anyway:
    Miami Surfside Collapse - Cutting corners to save money

Yes proper maintenance is a rarity nowadays =(

I don't understand the desire to have a pool on your roof though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I am neither American nor do I ever watch the news, so unaware-living-under-a-rock-person here...
    haven't heard any of my relatives talk of it either so it most likely did not make the news here anyway.
    Edit: looking at google, it did make the news... guess my relatives live under rocks now too xD
    idk if I'd call not hearing about it a living under a rock sort of thing

While a lot of the world does pay attention to what happens in the U.S., this doesn't strike me as the sort of story that would garner international attention. (edit: widely international attention anyway, Canada and Mexico probably hear more than other countries do)

Last edited:
    Years
    I remember reading an article from a daily news email originally posted in USA Today (I think) which said that the building might have been built as part of a money laundering scheme, and that's part of the reason corners were cut.

Back