• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Mid Season Check In

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • Oh how the time flies. So many things to watch, so many things to play.

As the summer season reaches its midpoint and many of the currently airing shows are heading into the back half of their cours, it seems like as good a time as any to get some thoughts and feelings on all that has been placed into our to do lists. For some of those shows which we were potentially hyping up, they may have fallen flat, and for some others which we may have disregarded initially have made their way to the top of our watchlists. Especially when you're trying to keep track of 20 shows that are currently airing plus taking a bite out of your backlog, heh

So, what about you? How do you feel about this season of anime as a whole? Were there any hidden gems amongst the shows that have come out, anything that you were recommending before that you'll only advocate for harder, or perhaps something you were initially excited about that you'd like to apologize for?

Years
  • I actually haven't watched anything from this season yet. There's been a few things that have caught my eye a bit and people haven't stopped recommending SpyxFamily to me, but I haven't gotten around to any of it.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I actually haven't watched anything from this season yet. There's been a few things that have caught my eye a bit and people haven't stopped recommending SpyxFamily to me, but I haven't gotten around to any of it.

Yeah, kind of surprised you hadn't started in on the new season of Made in Abyss yet haha. Had to refresh myself on what happened in the last movie before I started back in since it's been a minute.

Years
  • Yeah, kind of surprised you hadn't started in on the new season of Made in Abyss yet haha. Had to refresh myself on what happened in the last movie before I started back in since it's been a minute.

I'm planning to watch back through the first season and then do the movie and s2 all in a row soon.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Well, it's getting closer to the end of the season now so I'll drop in with some of my notes on what I've been watching most consistently (I'll spare you from the full, long-list)

Yofukashi no Uta - A middle school kid is struggling with understanding emotions and ends up an insomniac. Starts going out late at night, stops going to school, and eventually runs into a hot vampire lady. The music is a bop and has probably my favorite OP from the season, the art is beautiful, and I've laughed several times as well as felt like I could relate in certain situations. It's a fairly decent show that surprisingly doesn't have a lot of fanservicey moments despite being written by the same person that did dagashi kashi and directed by the same person who graced us with the monogatari series. It's a pretty good show all things considered. Would definitely recommend.

Overlord - Ay yo, its overlord. If you enjoyed the first 2 seasons, you'll probably enjoy this 4th one... you just have to get through the 3rd season :) All in all it's about what you'd expect - political intrigue that peters out by accident, big flashy shows of power that are severely downplayed, the works. If you like it you like it.

Lycoris Recoil - Cute girls in cute clothes... but with guns. Story revolves around two girls in particular who are both very good at being cute hitmen for the government, but one of them refuses to kill anyone and the other is solely worried about efficiency. It's a cute show that has a couple of sadder moments. I don't know that it's anything too amazing, but the art is decent and it has a fairly decent plot going for it.

Isekai Ojisan - Old uncle comes back home from another world. Makes a living off of using his powers for youtube and to skirt by ebay delivery fees. It's a pretty good comedy show, though it's stuck behind netflix. It has a couple of over the top moments and of course a few moments which just don't land like they should, but for the most part it was quite enjoyable. This is probably tied for first as my favorite show of the season with Yofukashi.

Danmachi - It's Bell in the dungeon but deeper. New monsters, new friends, new cool powers that are just powered up versions of his old powers. The fight scenes are decent, the music is alright. I've made it this far into the series, so I'll probably keep going til I see the conclusion. It's not bad by any means, but a few of the episodes have certainly felt slow and sluggish to the point I have pulled out my switch and... almost just used it for background noise. If you've stuck with it this long you'll probably be fine watching a bit more, but for newcomers season 3 is a good stopping point until a season 5 comes out.

Back