• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Middle evolutions cooler than first and final?

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Flaafy, Floette, Dragonair, Gloom Jigglypuff, pikachu and chansey are my favourite middle evos. They are all so beautiful and sweet.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • For the starters, going to have to go with Braixen. I love Braixen, but really don't care much for Delphox.

I also always thought Grovyle was kind of cooler than Sceptile.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • First thing that comes to mind is Dragonair.
    Honestly Dragonite looks a little too fat/muscular

Grovyle looks really agile, while Sceptile just looks like a big plant muscle.

While I'm not saying that Garchomp doesn't look cool, Gabite already looks like it can take on anything.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2015
    I don't like Wartortle... But i do like Charmeleon, Ivysaur, Pikachu (of course!). But I don't think they are the coolest.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • This has always been a thing for me. I keep my Pokemon's middle evo for as long as I can, as I normally like them best. When my Fennekin evolved I wanted to put an everstone on her but, eventually caved and evolved her again. :C Middle evos have always been under loved it seems. We start with the first form, so it's special. Then the middle evo, we have it for a while but eventually evolves permanently into it's last. I wish we spent more time with the middle, but that's why I do so myself. Maybe this has to do with some starters not resembling their original form enough?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I always thought Ivysaur and Rhydon were the coolest looking middle evolutions. :)
    I just like their design better than Venusaur and Rhyperior.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Quilava, Dewott, & Braixen. Just love those 3 - Dewott is within my top 6 favorite.

For me it's extremely tough decision whether to make them evolve or not. I like the first and the last evolution (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, sometimes I wait until after E4 to evolve them) - but it's the middle evolution that I love the most.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I love Vigoroth; to me, it looks a lot better than Slaking. It's much smaller in size, however, which doesn't help making it seem as fierce, but that's not a huge deal. Another good thing is that it doesn't have Truant ability, so it doesn't have to loaf around after every turn it strikes some hit. If its offensive stats were more high, I'm sure it would've been used more often competitively.

Aside from that, I suppose I also like Roselia! It doesn't have those white hair like Roserade, which, to me, looks sort of unnatural.

Years
  • Middle evolutions cooler than first and final?
    : Imma gecko, yaaaay :D
    : I'm a pretty cool, speedy-looking critter with blades on my arms; I'm also pretty badass in PMD2!
    : Imma giant gecko, yaaay :D

Besides the above (I like Sceptile a lot, but Grovyle was what made me set on starting with Treecko when I got Ruby), I like Braixen more than Delphox (it's tied with Fennekin, though), Swadloon more than Leavanny (I like Sewaddle, tho), Porygon2 more than Porygon and Porygon-Z, and Chansey more than Happiny and Blissey.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    The only two I can think of that I prefer to their final evos are Magneton and Doublade. Nothing against fans of Magnezone and Aegislash; I just personally am not as fond of their designs. Generally though, I'm a huge sucker for final stage evolutions, especially when it comes to starters.

inksplashed-heart

mimikyu stan
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Vigoroth. Heck yeah. I was so, so mad when it evolved in the middle of my Emerald journey and I was stuck with a loafing Slaking. Haha. Although once I got my hands on a Skill Swap for double battles...

As for others...I like Togetic's design more than Togekiss's, really. Togekiss is just weird for me. Like two ginormous wings then suddenly a face in between!

Years
  • Frogadier is one that definitely comes to mind to me. I just think that design looks neat, moreso than Greninja's weird tongue being wrapped around its neck.

And I don't know why, but Palpitoad I find more interesting than Seismitoad for some reason.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I have this thing where I love the first form and hate the rest of the evolutions. I think they only line I'm 100% okay with is uh... all from first gen, and like. Froakie ._.

But let's be real, Greninja is in Super Smash Brothers because he is clearly the best.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    my list of coolest looking middle evolutions would be dragonair, pikachu (never liked raichu), vigoroth, dewottt and lastly quilava. My favourite out of these would be quilava because of how cute it looked following me around in heartgold. [Love the walking pokemon thing, hope they bring it back]

edit: always thought togetic looked better than togekiss as well

Last edited:

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I personally love Dragonair and Braixen more than their final evos. Ugh, Delphox, despite already tolerable to me, is still leagues away from Braixen's design imo.

I also love Prinplup and Quilava more than Empoleon and Typhlosion. I mean, sure Empoleon and Typhlosion are cool, but there's just something that just makes me attached to their middle stage forms.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015
    Its difficult because I always prefer evolving pokemon till their final form. Still, Rhydon is one pokemon I may prefer to keep as it is. If I want to make it Rhyperior, it would only be because of its Rock Head ability.

I always thought Ivysaur and Rhydon were the coolest looking middle evolutions. :)
    I just like their design better than Venusaur and Rhyperior.

Haunter - It's definitely looking cooler and scarier than Gengar, although Gengar isn't bad, either.
    Rhyhorn - Okay, when I first saw Rhyperior I was really disappointed. That hasn't changed to this day. How can an awesomely cool Rhyhorn turn into a fat, armored.... thing apparently wearing a bullet-proof west?
    Dragonair - I like how Dragonite looks, like that goofy, careless dragon, and I love having it in my team. It's just that Dragonair has that beautiful, elegant appearance that can't br replaced that easily.
    Grovyle - Definitely cooler than Sceptile. I've never really liked Sceptile at all :\

That's about all I can remember at the moment xD

you know..i got some middle evolution pokemon that i like more then the base and the seconed evolution but the pokemon that Bothers me the most is - Rhydon !
    why?
    first of all rhydon was one of the strongest and biggest pokemon of the first gen,
    everybody loves rhydon and who dosen't want that kind of pokemon in your team?.
    Rhydon might be Pokemon #112 in kanto, but he was drawn up before any other Pokemon, so when you try to Improve the first pokemon ever drawn with an evolution like ryhperior its just ruin all the good history we have with rhydon(in my opinion)
    Not to mention that ryhperior is not cool at all..think about it..
    its like the creator of rhypeiror just combine a Rhydon with a amrican Football player

i just think its looks silly..i really dont know why they try to improve it..
    Rhydon was one of my most favorite pokemon from gen 1 and now that rhyperior is out its not the same for me.

Last edited:
    Back