• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Might be a bit early, but if this is Gen VII then...

What comes after SM (if it is Gen VII)?

• Total voters

pkmin3033

I'd love prequels, but I would prefer Sun and Moon to be prequels to X and Y - or set at the same time - set on a different continent, with the games that follow that being sequels to tie everything together. It'd give people reason to go back and play XY or ORAS' Delta Episode again after playing them too, and give added depth to characters that so desperately needed it.

It's unlikely to happen, but I think prequels are a good way to go to spice things up; we've had third versions, we've had both direct and indirect sequels. How about laying some foundations for a change? I'd love to know how Malva wound up as a part of Team Flare, to name but one thing they could explore in XY prequels.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    the gap between remakes are 5 years, following that it would be 2019 the sinnoh remakes..

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Just because we had sequels in Black and White doesn't mean that most future games will most likely be a sequel. However, there is something they could possibly do, which would appeal to absolutely everyone. Create two versions - one a sequel of Sun and Moon (Ash Sun), and a prequel (Gale Moon). Probably not names they'd go with at all but they do sound cool? I don't see why they can't release two different types of games. Yes, it is money grabbing, but it is money grabbing in a fair way, especially if they space it out (and throw in Sinnoh remakes in the middle). So say, release Sun and Moon, then release Gale Moon to confuse the hell out of people. It would make people want to buy the sequel, seeing what happened in the past and how much changed.

Let's just assume that in this scenario the legendary mascots have pre-evolutions (can be done - Manaphy did!) and additionally had Celestial Evolutions (sounds suitable and is the same as primals/megas). Mascot of Ash Sun would be the Celestial Evolution of Sun mascot, whereas mascot of Gale Moon would be the pre-evolution of Moon mascot (better not be Solrock and Lunatone...) Both would tell the other side of the story. I think a prequel would be seriously amazing, and it's something we need to consider might be a possibility after Sun and Moon (a year or so after).

That's what I'd love, anyway. Probably won't happen but they do like to surprise us lately, so here's hoping. :')
    Phione doesn't evolve into Manaphy. It's more of a weaker hybrid of Manaphy and Ditto.

I wanted that for Gen VI actually with Z1 as a prequel or third version, and Z2 as a sequel, but it didn't happen...
    I actually want them to save the remakes for last. Remakes are usually spaced out five years away from one another, so it's kind of early to release DP remakes at this point. I think they should wrap up the new regions' story like they did in Gen IV, and then release the remakes. If we get remakes in Gen VII then I see it going as
    2017: No game again (DP were the last games to have a year off after and before them, though that was unplanned, with them originally being slated for 2005. So not counting DP, RS were the last games that were planned to have a year off before and after them.)
    2018: S/M third version, sequels, prequels, sequel and prequel, third version and sequel to third version, etc.
    2019: DP remakes as the pinnacle of Pokémon games on the 3DS graphics wise with enhancements for the New 3DS.

Years
    This meaning S/M probably won't have either a sequel or a third game, much like X/Y didn't. But who knows at this point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can see where you're going, but I can imagine the disappointment that will come. It's still way too early to expect if it'll be the case though.

Years
    The downside of this becoming the new formula means that unfortunately, the generations are going to be shorter.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
    I do hope if Sun and Moon are still part of Gen VI (which i admit i kinda doubt) then Gamefreak my release a third game for Kalos (which I hope is called Pokemon Z purely for Pokemon/DBZ crossover fanart) but in all Sun and Moon are the start of Gen VII

Years
    The downside of this becoming the new formula means that unfortunately, the generations are going to be shorter.
    Yeah, that's whatmI was thinking when making this Thread and it's title. If SM are a new generation then what will come next will have to be something like third versions, or sequels. Remakes can only make a few generations longer, until they reach the point of having to remake recent generations. I kind of hope that after we get Gen V remakes that we'll go backmto sequels and third versions being a part of the generation.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    I don't know if the D/P remakes come after sun/moon, but they are possible!

Just think about what cool stuff they could do with a remake of the pokétch!

Years
    • SC
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I think we will get a DPPt remake between now and 2019, as you said. It's one of my favorite generations, so I would love a remake. However, as others have said, I doubt it will be for the 3DS. I personally didn't like B2/W2 so I really hope we don't get another set of sequels similar to those. But you never know with Pokemon. They are full of surprises.

I personally think this is Generation 7 because Sun and Moon are advertised as the "next era of Pokemon".

Also, we have this quote from Pokemon's Sun and Moon page:
    Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are coming out for systems in the Nintendo 3DS family in holiday 2016, with a new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures to discover!

A new world, new Pokemon, and new adventures to discover... now of course, they COULD do all of this and still tie back to Kalos. However, I wonder what they mean by "new world". The most likely scenario is just a new region, or a new part of an existing region (Kalos), but I heard an interesting theory that might be a possibility. Maybe (and this is a very loose maybe) they will introduce us to a new "world" where the new stone in the Japanese logos is what mega evolution is to the Pokemon world we know now.

As I said before, they could do any of this and tie back to Kalos by allowing us to venture back to Kalos in post game or something along those lines. I hope we do see Kalos again in this generation, because the storyline is just so broken at this point. It has the potential to be great, but there are way too many loose ends to tie up just to leave it the way it is. I'm sure (or hoping, rather) that they have something interesting planned. I'd be very disappointed to see Kalos left the way it is.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    I think we will get a DPPt remake between now and 2019, as you said. It's one of my favorite generations, so I would love a remake. However, as others have said, I doubt it will be for the 3DS. I personally didn't like B2/W2 so I really hope we don't get another set of sequels similar to those. But you never know with Pokemon. They are full of surprises.

I personally think this is Generation 7 because Sun and Moon are advertised as the "next era of Pokemon".

Also, we have this quote from Pokemon's Sun and Moon page:

A new world, new Pokemon, and new adventures to discover... now of course, they COULD do all of this and still tie back to Kalos. However, I wonder what they mean by "new world". The most likely scenario is just a new region, or a new part of an existing region (Kalos), but I heard an interesting theory that might be a possibility. Maybe (and this is a very loose maybe) they will introduce us to a new "world" where the new stone in the Japanese logos is what mega evolution is to the Pokemon world we know now.

As I said before, they could do any of this and tie back to Kalos by allowing us to venture back to Kalos in post game or something along those lines. I hope we do see Kalos again in this generation, because the storyline is just so broken at this point. It has the potential to be great, but there are way too many loose ends to tie up just to leave it the way it is. I'm sure (or hoping, rather) that they have something interesting planned. I'd be very disappointed to see Kalos left the way it is.

I don't think that we'll be getting more of Kalos in Sun & Moon,
    if they say "new world", it's most likely a new region, maybe
    packed with new stuff. The fact that versions are called "Sun" and
    "Moon" there might be some huge changes in said region during
    night and day. That's only my opinion ofc.

Years
    Didn't they advertise OrAs initially as taking place in a "new world"? I recall that something along those lines was said, sparking speculation of them being sequels to, instead of remakes to, Ruby and Sapphire. Well, it was an alternative version of Hoenn from the one we knew.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    It was still a new world from what Zinnia said since it was a New Hoenn that had Mega-Evolutions and Primal Evolutions, the other one being the one where the weapon never was fired.

Years
    It was still a new world from what Zinnia said since it was a New Hoenn that had Mega-Evolutions and Primal Evolutions, the other one being the one where the weapon never was fired.
    T
    That's what I said :P
    Which makes me wonder if perhaps this game could be the alternate version of the other four regions, probably not though.

I see the next games being sequels, especially if the Moon legend is in Sun, and the Sun legend is in Moon.

Back