• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misery Loves Company

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
    • Age 26
    • TN
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    So let's say that for some reason you're having a really really bad day. Now that isn't absolutely awful on its own, but let's also say that everyone in your general vicinity at least appears to be in a good mood. Maybe some people are even laughing (not at you). How would that make you feel?

Would you go so far as to begrudge the people around you their happiness because you aren't happy at the time? Or, maybe, does it just annoy you when people make a big show (probably an exaggeration) of laughing and having fun when you're upset?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    When I'm upset, I just want to be left alone. I don't want people sympathizing with me and being in a bad mood around me. I don't want people laughing around me or trying to cheer me up by being cheery. I just want to be left to my own devices until I figure it out on my own.

But since that normally never happens (you can't just push everyone away every time you get upset), I wouldn't be any more annoyed by those people than by anyone else.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    If I am having a bad day, I tend to like to be left alone. I don't need to hear about your petty concerns, and I really don't need your sympathy. Most of the sympathy I get is so generic and valueless that it really only reflects ill on them. But honestly, I'm the type of person that doesn't think about my own concerns, but those of others, so in that vein: I wouldn't ever shut anyone out, I'd just hide; if they made the effort to find me than I'd surely see them out, if my analogy makes sense. I care more about what you have to tell me than what I could tell you. I would listen and calm your worries, forgetting about mine in the process *shrugs* I don't know. Shutting people out is a destructive behavior especially when it is over such abstract things as someone's apparent happiness level; Apparent being the operative word here as you have no idea how they are on the inside. They could be juts as bad as you, or worse. The only difference could be that they found a way to suck it up and move on in life, that they learned not to dwell on the things that upset and to continue on with their life; they achieve their goals and maintain healthy relationships with people.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • When I'm all pissy and mad, I just wanna be alone in a dark place and just cry my feelings out because something or someone made me mad. I refuse to talk to anyone for a long time until I just regain confidence and like....talk to someone. People will try to cheer me up, yeah, but it takes a while for me to recover my happiness. Sometimes I just need space to let it all out.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • When I'm upset, I just become really quiet. The exception is when it's my friend that's pissing me off, then I try to keep a happy face. If you know me well enough, though, (apparently) you'll be able to recognize the expression I give when I'm like that. But I don't usually try to drag other people down if I'm not happy, no.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • +1 for just wanting to be left alone. I hate being crowded when I'm upset and just want everybody and everything to bugger off lol.

I think that if I had to have people around me though, I think I'd choose the happy ones. Other people who are miserable would just grate on me because I'd feel the need to invest myself in their problems while trying to deal with my own. I don't find other people's cheer bothers me when I'm upset, I think it actually helps me.

Years
  • Usually when I'm angry I prefer to be left on my own, or if I can't have that I'd just close my eyes and have some background music playing to drown out all the people around me.
    I don't hate it when people are happy around me when I'm angry, just when they try to cheer me up at the same time. Sometimes people are upset, deal with it. Not everyone has to be happy and bubbly all the time.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    I don't get upset easily or often, so when I do, I'd rather just talk to ONE person about it to vent, usually my sister (or if I'm online, chat with my close friends individually). If I'm in a group, I usually just push it aside until I can be alone, then I can let out my bad mood later (or it goes away on its own). I really hate lashing out at people or ignoring them.

Normally I'm the cheery person x_x

Back