• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Missing types on pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2012
    I think that there needs to be a dark water type. there may already be one that i dont know of however

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Seconding the Gastly line having its Poison removed or turned into Dark. I guess it was fixed in Gen I, so it could really be tampered with in any Generation afterwards for fear of massive retconning. Oh well...

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • The problem with having Gyarados Water/Dragon type is that if this had happened in Generation I it would have been far too uber. It would have had no weaknesses whatsoever since the only Dragon-type move back then (Dragon Rage) deals fixed damage, aside from being exceedingly weak.
    I think the double weakness to Electric was to even it out so it could actually be used in a reasonable battle setting.
    I agree with the psyduck thing. Psy is in its god damn name.
    Luxio and Luxray should be Electric/Dark
    Volbeat and Illumise should be Bug/Electric
    I agree (with the ones I didn't remove from the quote). When I saw Luxray and Volbeat/Illumise I actually thought they were those types. :(

Psyduck honestly just doesn't make sense. xD I thought Golduck was a Psychic type for just the longest time, even after using it in-game several times and everything. It was only in mid-game (yes, mid-game) in Firered that I realised it was a pure Water-type. >_>

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Gothita etc as dark, it's how I thought they were at first anyway :(

I think Gastly and Haunter should be ghost and dark rather than poison!!
    they don't usually use poison moves, so why?!
    No. It would be moved to uber instantly. Sableye/Spritomb don't have the best stats or speed (excluding prankster) or power w/ sPA. Gengar is pretty much one of the fastest OU Pokemon, and with a Life Orb can sweep really well - without that Psychic weakness it would be literally undefeatable imo. You've got Latios/Latios/Alakazam/Reuiniclus there to keep it at bay, but without them I literally sweep almost everything else with Gengar - only hope is if your opponent boosts its stats and has good enough defense (or manages to survive an attack and get in a w-o-w, or if Focus Blast misses against Tyranitar, it's... just too risky imo. Sableye/Spiritomb, sure, but Gengar? Definitely no.

Groudon: Ground/Fire
    Samurott: Water/Fighting
    God yes. I always thought that WAS Groudon's typing.

As much as it doesn't suit something you encounter so early in the game: Staraptor for Fighting/Flying. Seriously. Close Combat and Brave Bird and BOTH get STAB on top of really nice attack and speed? Yes please.

Also, the hell is up with Butterfree learning Confusion by level-up when it's a Bug-Flying. Would be interesting to see what it could do with a Bug/Psychic combination.
    Agreed with both.

I agree with the psyduck thing. Psy is in its god damn name.
    Huntail and Gorebyss should be water/dark and water/psychic, in pokemon ranger there assist types are psychic and dark
    Luxio and Luxray should be Electric/Dark
    Volbeat and Illumise should be Bug/Electric
    And Gligar and Gliscor should be Bug/Flying
    Agreed with water/psychic, I've always thought Luxio etc WERE electric/dark, and Gliscor being bug/flying would ruin it competitively, imo. It really does need the ground typing to save it from annoying electric types tbh, but then again, something to beat water types? Hmmm, maybe! Still would be beaten by boltbeam, either way. ;;

The only example i have of this is psyduck/golduck.
    I believe I've went through my whole life thinking this. But yes, definitely.

Lezza

The Guy who loves Braviarys
    Years
  • I think Blatoise could be part Rock or Fighting. I dont know why.
    Feraligatr-Dark
    And Agree with most of the above. Definatly Ground/Bug Levitate Gliscor
    I also think Venonate should be Bug and Venomoth Bug/Psychic.
    Mandibuzz- Ground/ Flying

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I actually agree with those mentioned above. But, I do think Glameow should be somewhat Dark/Psychic. :'3 .. Weird combination, eh?

Years
  • I absolutely agree with Psyduck/Golduck being Water/Psychic, Luxio/Luxray being Electric/Dark, Huntail/Gorebyss being Water/Dark and Water/Psychic, Dewott/Samurott being Water/Fighting, and Lugia being Water/Flying.Those should have been that way since the beginning!!

I also think that Infernape should have been Fire/Rock instead of Fire/Fighting. That way, there would have been a perfect reverse-triangle for all of the Sinnoh starters.

Personally, I also think that Deerling/Sawsbuck should have been Grass/??? had their secondary type change with the seasons.

Hmm, what else? Geodude line should have been pure Rock, and Ghastly line should have been pure Ghost. That's all I can think of right now.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I agree with BleuVII here with Deerling ans Sawsbuck. it should be

Normal/ Grass for Summer
    Normal/ Fire for Autumn
    Normal/ Ice for Winter
    Normal for Spring

Lezza

The Guy who loves Braviarys
    Years
  • FOr Deerling,
    Spring-Grass
    Summer-Fire
    Autumn-Ghost
    Winter-Ice
    All paried with Normal

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    I think that Horsea and Seadra should have been Water/Dragon. After all, their species name is "Dragon," and they can learn Dragon moves, just like Kingdra.

I like to see that as Horsea and Seadra always having traits of Dragon-type Pokemon deep down within them, they just weren't evoked until they evolved but it allowed them to learn some Dragon-type moves.

As for me, Palkia: Dragon/Psychic.

Its a deity Pokemon that created Space and all dimensions...how the hell is it a Water-type? It doesn't even look anything like a Water-type

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    As for me, Palkia: Dragon/Psychic.

Its a deity Pokemon that created Space and all dimensions...how the hell is it a Water-type? It doesn't even look anything like a Water-type
    Space Is An Ocean.

It's a thought abundant in popular media. A spaceship can experience "ripples in space", or be pulled into a black hole like it was a huge sink, and you can see where they're coming from with the Water type. Indeed, the very word "spaceship" comes from ships sailing on oceans. And Palkia is full of pearls, which come from the sea.

Incidentally, gravitational waves (which are ripples in space-time) are theorised to exist. They are caused by massive accelerated objects, such as binary starts orbiting each other.

And I object to the idea that Pokémon of a particular type must obviously look like that type, and vice versa. My favourite example is Voltorb/Electrode, for which there is NO evidence that it might be a Steel type other than "it sorta looks like a Poké Ball which is mechanical (except those Apricorn ones which are made of fruit, ahem)". I have no problem with them being pure Electric types, yet everyone assumes they're mechanical.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Space Is An Ocean.

It's a thought abundant in popular media. A spaceship can experience "ripples in space", or be pulled into a black hole like it was a huge sink, and you can see where they're coming from with the Water type. Indeed, the very word "spaceship" comes from ships sailing on oceans. And Palkia is full of pearls, which come from the sea.

Incidentally, gravitational waves (which are ripples in space-time) are theorised to exist. They are caused by massive accelerated objects, such as binary starts orbiting each other.

And I object to the idea that Pokémon of a particular type must obviously look like that type, and vice versa. My favourite example is Voltorb/Electrode, for which there is NO evidence that it might be a Steel type other than "it sorta looks like a Poké Ball which is mechanical (except those Apricorn ones which are made of fruit, ahem)". I have no problem with them being pure Electric types, yet everyone assumes they're mechanical.

Fair enough, I just don't see that type matching with a deity like Palkia.

Back