• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Missingno., the KI33Lla3R Pokemon

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • One of the most famously known glitches in gaming, Missingno. is a "Pokemon" encountered primarily on the coast of Cinnabar Islands after talking to the Old Man and allowing him to demonstrate capturing a Weedle. Besides its odd shape and cry, it also brought upon other side affects, multiplying 6th item in your bag and scrambling your hall of fame data. If you want to read more about this intriguing "Pokemon" (i.e. why this occurs, etc.), you can have a look at Bulbapedia: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Missingno.

What is your opinion on Missingno., and the possible side effects it brings? Were you surprised the first time you heard about this glitch Pokemon? o:

Years
  • I think Missingno is... interesting. I honestly wasn't surprised with the Missingno glitch at all. When I first heard about it, it just seemed like a glitch that was contemporary to that era of gaming. However, the glitch that causes item duplication is probably the only one that actually left me surprised. I mean a glitch that allows you to have a bunch of Master Balls? Crazy.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I first heard of missingno. from my friends who have already completed Red and Blue and found out thanks to some Old Man glitching, which at that time i also was not aware of. After experiencing Missingno, and hearing more stories about it, i decided to have this new sub-hobby of reading about and experiencing every glitch that Gen 1 is known for.

Also, there's a fanmade game that even acknowledges Missingno to the point that:
    Spoiler:

But yeah, Missingno is basically the one of most loved anomaly of early programming. I don't care if people say that Missingno is too hyped or is overrated. It deserved the love.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    Missingno. is very cool and really makes the games more enjoyable for some people (like myself x))

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've spend so much time researching that thing in the past, it's not even funny. It's one of the main reasons why I really love the gen 1 games. {XD}

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I was both fascinated by and scared of Missingno. when I first learned of it many years ago. A family friend of mine told me how to find Missingno., and I introduced my friends to the world of RB glitches without knowing what the consequences would be. At first, I was really bothered by the side effects of finding Missingno., as I had only been told that it would replicate my sixth item by some high quantity. When it started corrupting graphics and the Hall of Fame, I became wary, and decided to stay away from it.

My desire to avoid "destroying" my game with glitch damage led me to spend many a Friday afternoon researching the Missingno. glitch and others like it on my slow, dial-up internet connection. Initially, my thought was that if I could understand what caused glitches in Pokemon games, I could avoid activating them and accidentally damaging my saved data. As I learned more about Missingno., and in time, other lesser-known glitches, I became increasingly interested in what they did and why the games responded as they did. Now, while I still don't approve of using the item replication glitch to get easy master balls and rare candies, I find it really interesting to look at the inner workings of RBY and understand why they respond the way they do. Without Missingno., my curiosity might never have been piqued, so for that, I am grateful. Since my elementary school days, research of a different kind has also become an important part of my life, and while most of that interest has little to do with Pokemon, I still believe that my curiosity about Missingno. helped introduce me to the joys of trying to discover and understand new knowledge.

Years
  • I was skeptical when I first heard about Missingno, but the side effects that could come out of catching it? Those were not things I wanted to believe at first, so I never did. But it was nice mooching off of the cloning glitch...

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I loved Missingo and the rare candy and Masterball glithces that followed with it. I abused it heavily and found it really fun; despite the risks!

Years
  • I like that one internet image, comparing Missingno to Goldenrod Radio Tower as though they look alike.

Talk to the Weedle guy.
    Go to Safari Zone area where Chansey/Tauros troll.
    Surf the eastern coast of Cinnabar to Ultra/Master Ball some Safari Zone rares.

NOTE: Fly to Cinnabar, while in the Safari Area you want. Not sure if it applies to the few available from fishing.
    Still, no denying the grins when Chansey never runs, always attacks, LOL.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • I preformed the missingo glitch twice, both on my red version. The first time, I did the classic glitched up sprite as you could call it. The second, I went a bit more advanced when I discovered, while doing research as usual, the fossil aerodactyl missingo glitch. Essentially, if you named yourself a name with an "x" at the 4th spot of your name I beleive (correct me if I'm wrong) then when doing the missingo glitch, rather than a glitched up sprite it would be the fossil aerodactyl from the pewter museum :) As seen here:

140g705.jpg

Preety neat.

Infamy

Also known as ShinySigma
    Years
  • I loved the Missingno glitch. The amount of rare candies and master balls I got from it was amazing. Let's just say after that glitch, the Elite Four didn't stand a chance.

It was pretty funny too, because my friends started a rumor that if you abused the glitch too much, it would "infect" your gameboy, and it would appear in other games too, especially Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Looking back it's prety funny, but at the time I was convinced that I ruined my GBA. {XD}

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • I've spent much time saving my game to get my Old man trick and my Ditto trick going on.

I've spent much parties to get MissingNo and to explore around different Pokemon glitches existing. Obtaining maximum amounts of Master Balls or Rare candies was not my priority, but using glitches and observing the game crashing was pretty fun though.

I remember that one party when I decided to perfom the Ditto trick on every single Special Value from 97 to 255. Not complete but had a fun time discovering some of the Glitch Pokemons and posting their characteristics on a forum.

Back in the days, I thought digging inside game's programming failures was a pretty fun leisure to practice, and I did it well.

MissingNo will always fascinate me :)

Years
  • Missingno is so much fun when playing the gen 1 games. I know its never going to happen, but I'd love to see it get the official recognition it deserves. That would be a big love letter to genwunners like the Pokegod Mega Evolutions are.

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2015
    I think is just a "try/catch" (programmin terms) and if a code reach at catch block, its appear a
    Pokemon missing number, called Missing Nº
    :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2016
    I like Missingno. because how they are treated as an error handler which appeared randomly in Gen 1's Pokemon list (the one in game data, not Pokedex). Making it looks like leftovers from removing. I'm a little surprised about it when I first heard about this. As far as I know, its side effect is:
    - it will duplicate your item because it has Pokedex number of 0 which means 256 in seen flag routine and setting a seen flag for Pokedex number of 256 will overloads into item list.
    - it will corrupt your Hall of Fame data because of its invalid sprite dimension which make sprite buffer overflows into Hall of Fame data.

I also remembered how many times I have to counter those rumors about they will mess up the game save since many people are confused it with the true invalid Pokemon with a completely glitched name XD

And yeah, finding their programming mistakes is fun :)

Years
  • I have often hoped that Nintendo, in one of their later generations, would release a Pokémon called Missingno, or something similar, as a homage to this glitch. Perhaps without the messy sprite.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2015
    I loved it. Especially I could get a Ton of Rare Candy and So I could level up my Pokemon quickly instead of doing the Boring Level Grinding.

I had already used my Master Ball by Mistake the 1st Time I played Pokemon Blue

Last edited:
    Back