• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

mmorpgs

Years
  • mmorpgs were a huge part of my teen years - i tried a ton of them, many of which ended up shutting down. some notable games i spent many hours playing were trickster online, la tale, and maplestory. have you guys ever played any mmos? do you still play any now?

Years
  • I used to be obsessed with Maplestory. I played a little bit during pre-BB (though I was in 2nd grade or something, and I wanted to try it out because my older sister played it), then I played it again around the time Evan got release on/off (like I'd take 1-2 year breaks from the game) until I stopped around when Adele was being teased earlier this year. I mostly played on private servers mainly because I could progress without having to spend money on RNG progression (gachapon, cubes, etc.) and also for cosmetics. Though it didn't really matter because I got lazy on progression since I didn't want to farm for hours everyday so, I mostly logged on to socialize and/or afk. I mained Battle Mage (2nd rework), Evan (both release and revamped), Kanna (release), Bishop (revamped), and most recently Mercedes to switch it up from the supportive mage classes I gravitate towards.

As of now though, I don't play any mmorpgs mainly because there aren't any mmorpgs that have caught my eye and I don't like playing them solo. Really need a community or at least a group of friends to motivate you to progress.

pkmin3033

When I was at University I wanted nothing more than to play World of Warcraft, but alas (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) my laptop at the time wasn't capable of running it, so I never did in the end.

I played Final Fantasy XIV on PS4 about four years ago now, long enough to get the Platinum trophy, then I never touched it again after that. This was when Heavensward was just rolling out, my internet was A LOT worse so I frequently lost my connection, and...god almighty, have you seen FFXIV's trophies? It's a nightmare. Plus the story for ARR is one of the most tediously boring I've encountered in a JRPG, and I had no friends to play with, so...yeah, not much reason to play, haha. Plus paying for a subscription for a video game is...ehhhh. I'd feel obligated to play that and nothing else, and just from playing FFXIV for six months for the plat my backlog grew by a ridiculous amount.

I have off and on considered trying Star Wars: The Old Republic, and more recently Phantasy Star Online 2, but I don't think I really have the time for an MMO...unless Monster Hunter Frontier comes West, anyway. Then I'm in deep shit. But as someone who can get sucked into video games and lose all sense of time - and the ability to manage it effectively - an MMO probably isn't healthy for me. xD

Years
  • MMOs aren't really my thing generally, but I'm going to give Star Wars: The Old Republic a try soon because it does seem pretty interesting.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    My first taste of MMOs was through the Minecraft server Wynncraft around its launch date (which was in summer 2013). In my second year of high school I stumbled upon WoW and played it pretty regularly all throughout high school and the first semester of uni, after which my guild started having issues getting enough people for raids because people were tired of Battle for Azeroth. I'm debating whether or not to return for Shadowlands, but as it currently stands, I think I'll remain an onlooker for the foreseeable future.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • FF14 is my baaaaaby. That's the only MMO I play, have played, and ever plan to play. Until they make a new FF MMO I guess.

Plus the story for ARR is one of the most tediously boring I've encountered in a JRPG, and I had no friends to play with, so...yeah, not much reason to play, haha.

ARR story is pretty much the worst content in FF14, it gets significantly better from Heavensward onward. And while this may not affect you much, the latest update gave ARR a big overhaul to make it less of a tedious mess to slog through.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • When I was younger, I have played MapleStory and Gaia Online's ZOMG for a fair bit. Later on, I picked up TemTem and played for a bit until putting it down. When the free trail was going to go up to Heavensward, I decided to play FF14 and I'm currently playing it right now. As someone who isn't an MMO fan, I am having a lot of fun with this game and right now I'm using a tank but will eventually dabble in other roles (tried Arcanist for a bit though).

Years
  • i used to play maplestory some years back, but not so much, anymore. i feel too much like nexon kinda just ran it into the ground and then some. after being at a loss for which mmo to play, i've finally gotten into FFXIV which i've been stuck to even as we speak =P it's too fun for me!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Hmm, I've never really been a huge MMO player. I tried playing Onigiri, but then my graphics card said nope, so I stopped bothering?? Although, I do want to play Dragon Raja someday or FFXIV, but my computer is too crappy, so I can't play FFXIV. :| All my friends are, though, so I wish I could.

[C]

The Fifth Pillar
    Years
  • Played Runescape a lot in my secondary school years, tried Maplestory but got bored of it really quickly.
    Tried out Guild Wars 2 much later but fell out of it, and my account got hacked.
    Went back into Old School Runescape last year and completed every quest, dove into FFXIV and caught up to current patch content.

Years
  • Played RuneScape a bunch back from 2007-2010, then I discovered World of Warcraft and became addicted for a while. FFIXV looks fun, but I'm honestly a little scared to try a new MMO right now; I don't have as much free time as I used to.

Years
    • Seen today
    Fantasy Online. It was a browser MMO and my only experience with the genre. I remember sinking so many hours into this.

Unfortunately, it did not have a long lifespan. (Like 3 years I think before shutting it's servers down). A few different fan projects started as spiritual successors, but never took off.

Years
  • KND Operation B.E.S.T. - Shutdown due to ending

CN's Fusion Fall - Shutdown, brought back from the grave by dedicated fans and shot down via DMCA takedown... which kinda sucks, wanted to play this one to the end and see all the more gothic-ish character redesigns... I mean, it's Cartoon Network's shows, just in a more unique style.

Toontown - Shutdown by Disney, then resurrected and kept online permanently... Which is a huge surprise; When Disney hates or no longer is interested in anything, they shut things down pretty hard. The original creator saw potential in it and bought the game from Disney, the rights, it's assets, everything and rebuilt it to Toontown Re-Written. Battles are turn based, though attacks are based on items as you need to purchase gags to fight cogs... which to me is a bit of a downer, but it's still fun, even as I became an adult.

The Mana World -
    Found this when I just wanted a basic MMORPG without 3D graphics, cleavage and deal with furry's or Isometric views. The mana world is as basic as it got. Basic graphics, basic setup. The game was developed as an engine to run other MMORPG's, you could easily download the source and build your own RPG from there.

Guild Wars 1 and 2-
    They we're good games, enough said.

Flyff - Shutdown, then revived by the Die Hard Fans
    This was another basic MMORPG, but it was one that was... for a free MMORPG, a lot of fun. More fun than WoW or Guild Wars 2 or even Final Fantasy 14... Why? Aside from being able to fly, the creators gave a sh*t about the events they ran in it. A prime example, you had a massive town setup that could get attacked. Meaning monsters in the game world would invade sanctuary areas, they referred this as a Monster invasion where if you wanted your safe place back so bad, you had to beat the sh*t out of them and get them off your front lawn.... And the combat is as basic as it gets, but this was a free and fun MMORPG.... I just hated that you had to reach level 20 before they would even let you ride a hover bike... Eh, I'll post more about it in my Topic and massive list Games Obscure.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I always loved WoW, but more for the world and story and atmosphere than the actual gameplay haha. It does get dull if you're mostly into questing with the occasional friend and not much into PVP.

Years
  • Flyff - Shutdown, then revived by the Die Hard Fans
    This was another basic MMORPG, but it was one that was... for a free MMORPG, a lot of fun. More fun than WoW or Guild Wars 2 or even Final Fantasy 14... Why? Aside from being able to fly, the creaators gave a sh*t about the events the ran in it. a prime example, you had a massive town setup that could get attacked. Meaning monsters in the game world would invade sanctuary areas, they referred this as a Monster invasion where if you wanted your safe place back so bad, you had to beat the sh*t out of them and get them off your front lawn.... And the combat is as basic as it gets, but this was a free and fun MMORPG.... I just hated that you had to reach level 20 before they would even let you ride a hover bike... Eh, I'll post more about it in my Topic and massive list Games Obscure.

ooh, I remember this game from ages back. but I had no idea the official servers shut down... :( I actually heard it was really p2w so players had to spend quite a bit to keep up with others. not sure how true that actually was though?

Years
  • ooh, I remember this game from ages back. but I had no idea the official servers shut down... :( I actually heard it was really p2w so players had to spend quite a bit to keep up with others. not sure how true that actually was though?

Eh, start of it, the money you paid for was mostly either for EXP packs or for Cosmetics; mostly the latter than the former. Though that's when I still played. It's possible they shifted to a P2W scheme afterwards.

The company that bought them out or rather, bought Gala Labs, Webzen, still has the domain listed but the game pulled permanently in favor of Mu, Hot Shots Golf and other games played out east. So the game being in development any further is out of the question.

You can still play this title though;
    https://eclipse-flyff.com/

It's one of the few private servers that keep the game moving. Their facebook is active and they keep her patched well... This is kinda why I like obscure games, you never know whose behind the scenes keeping them alive.

That and Phantasy Star Blue Burst, It's still being played to this day! On both it's home console ports AND PC. Exp rate changes, it's community is active and it still boggles my mind how they keep playing on, even though we got PSO2 now... Well, I guess as they say: when in France, get a beam sword and beat the living sh** out of some freaky mutant animals of death... And I guess to clarify on Home consoles, Gamecube Servers and Dreamcast servers of that classic are easily revived and setup so.... yeah; I was very surprised. XD

Years
  • I'm an MMO person now because I got roped into FFXIV. It's fun for sure, although admittedly not my preferred kind of game.

PapaPuff

Professional Procrastinator!
    Years
  • Every couple of months, I binge FFXIV to the point that I'm incredibly burnt out by the time I get to the end of my subscription lol.

On my most recent binge, I made my way through the entirety of base Stormblood while leveling a lot of my DoH classes.

Next time I play, I'll finally be getting to Shadowbringers. It's insane how much the game improves after ARR.

Outside of that, I don't think I've really tried any other MMOs.

Back