• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Mod Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Why not? It'd show you who is and isn't interested. It wouldn't mean you won't get in or not, either. I think it'd be more helpful than asking someone who'd likely turn the offer down.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • ...Because then hstaff would be spammed with "can i b a mod plz plz plz!!211" I think the system is fine the way it is. Also, most people don't turn it down. And even if they did, it's not a big deal. Hstaff can find someone else and still watch over the section if it remains modless.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've seen this considered a few times while I've been here but never implemented. I can see both sides of the suggestion though.

On the con side, PC generally looks for people that aren't helping in a section because they have a large interest in becoming staff. It's not something that's the same across every forum, but just the way PC runs because there often are members that just bounce from section to section hoping to be picked anywhere because they want to be staff and don't care about the section as a whole. In addition, it's not common to turn down an offer for a position haha. So I don't think the higher staff worries about that too much.

But I definitely don't think PC would die if mod applications were implemented either.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I've been a staff member on another site and having mod applications usually generate a lot of people just wanting to be mod just because or even people who join and just sign up to be mod when really you should be on this site because you like it, yknow? If that made any sense, lol

Years
  • I honestly don't like mod applications. I notice that forums who take 'em usually end up with a large amount of staff; more than I usually think is necessary. It's a lot nicer to be picked for the position than applying for it and being chosen imho... that and, as stated, opening up apps will likely attract people who are just applying because they want to be staff since they'll see it as an opportunity. x_o; H-Staff and above choosing mods is one of the nice things about PC, keeps everything quality and doesn't let the staff team get bigger than it needs to be. Better to look through candidates that don't directly apply for the position, since an application changes everything. People lie, type differently than they would, and so on.

Though I'm sure there's lots of people here who would do an amazing job moderating sections, there really isn't a need for a new moderator for a lot of them at the 'mo, I think. If they're dedicated enough, they'll get their chance to help out without that fancy bold blue!

It'd be cool to give it a test run in the future though~ n__n Sure it won't hurt to try, though it likely won't happen (in the near future), I think. PC already chooses great mods using their current method.

Years
  • Cirno's right. Although I'd like to see it used sometime I still think the best way to become a mod is through pure activity.

Being active in a particular area and making constructive posts is the key, cos the H-Staff are watching closely when considering potential future mods.

Years
  • I think it's better that the HStaff+ realize someone has the potential and responsibility instead of someone trying to show it off in an application.

Mod applications would make being a moderator a big deal (which it is) but it shouldn't be the main focus in a Pokemon forum or any discussion forum actually.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I tend to flip-flop on this kind of topic, though I generally end up following the same path as Toujours and Cirno; it's an interesting idea and it would work, hypothetically, but if what works does work, why try to fix it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it is one saying that comes to mind when thinking about something like this.

Anyway, yeah, nice idea, but generally unnecessary when you think about how PC works as a whole.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • uh hell no?

Even though I hate referring to this, remember the April Fool's thing, where Lerroux "fired" all the mods and he made a mod-application thing?

God, that was horrible - those were people who nobody (at least not me) knew, which is probably the worst thing you can do to get modded with the system we have now.

In other words, act mature and post. If you do that, you'll become a mod quicker and longer than asking. (Just look at Razor Leaf, Toujours, and AlexOzzyCake. They got modded just four months or so after they joined!)

Edit: okkkaaaayyyy now reading the op lol

it sounds like a good idea, but my argument still stands. If they post and report rule-breaking posts/threads and don't break any rules themselves, they obviously want to help out enough not to decline the offer.

Sorry if this is off topic just a bit, but what are the considerations for being asked to be a mod??
    help out and follow dem rules. basically all you need.

And it's really not even that hard if you try. Though I'm not one to speak :P

Last edited:

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
    Years
  • I was on a forum where there were applications and that didn't work. Easy come, easy go - people don't appreciate becoming a mod when they can apply for it. For example, there were a few mods that vanished after two weeks of their forum existence, came back after a month and they were surprized or even ranting why they aren't mods anymore.

I think PC's modding way is fantastic, because hstaff picks people who care and are helpful in particular section. The more fun the less you try to get modded and you actually become a mod ;)

Years
  • We know who is interested and who is good for the position. Take it from me, H-Staff don't like members who are like 'LOOK AT ME I WANT TO BE MODDED PLEASE MOD ME'.

It is counter productive, would end up spamming us and be a pointless exercise.

The best advice is just don't look for it, go about your normal PC business.​

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Under 9/10 circumstances, somebody who applies for moderator/staff positions is good solid proof they should NOT be a moderator or staff. If you're someone who wants to APPLY for a staff position, the typical incentive is power, not just upholding the rules. I'll say it here and I'll say it again: If a moderator Position is what you want, it's not what you deserve.

Pecilia

Best Witch
    Years
  • I don't think we need any new mods, haven't really seen too much. A good amount of our members are kids or mature members so it's pretty rare to see a problem. If we were to get moderators I'm sure they already have a list of people that they believe might be a good mod, that is if they need more of them.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Plus, it's so heartwarming to see a lawful and dedicated member with no idea of them having even been considered, become tearfully surprised when they are offered a mod position.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
    Years
  • I moderate another forum (albeit smaller than PC) where both systems are used. I was picked just by contributing to the forum and posting because I wanted to not because I thought it'd make me mod. Honesty, I felt more accomplished being picked out of the blue than if they just picked me out of a bunch of unworthy applications. Not to say applications don't work on smaller sites, but here on PC, it's my understanding that there are enough quality members who would not turn down a position, as well as enough staff looking for these members

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Back when I was helping choose moderators, I initially thought it would have been a little helpful to see who was interested in being staff (so we wouldn't waste time discussing options that weren't interested in the first place) and having an option that only the member and the higher staff to see, but throughout my time on higher staff I've never seen someone decline a moderator position. I've seen people accept and quit very quickly afterwards, but never outright decline. I'm sure there are some members out there who would decline, but in cases like that there are always other people who are being discussed as well. And the way that HQ rules are set up and by the time the member is approached and declines, it wouldn't take that long to choose someone else.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • In my humble opinion..

The best mods (in my experience) are the ones hand picked by the Staff. Mod apps are many times fabricated and covered with "nicing", you never know what true intentions or habits may lie under it. It isn't like a job app where job history and online activity is tracked.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Although I have to point out wanting to be a mod isn't a bad thing, if you truly want to.

For example, I honestly have a hot desire to mod (something you should never reveal btw) so I can help out directly, not because I want that power.

But something I've realized through talking to my modded friends is that non-rule-breaking activity is the single most helpful thing, even more than modding (on its own ofc), you can do to make PC a better place. So now I'm more nonchalant about the mod thing because I know being recognized doesn't take a modship to get.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • It's not going to happen. The process that we have here has worked for us for going on 10 years now. And now people are just repeating themselves, so I'mma close this now.

Closed

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back