• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modern Mysteries

Years
  • Whether real, fake, or somewhere in between, everyone loves a good mystery.

Here

Here

Here

Some examples:

• The Taos Hum
    Some residents and visitors in the small city of Taos, New Mexico, have for years been annoyed and puzzled by a mysterious and faint low-frequency hum in the desert air. Oddly, only about 2 percent of Taos residents report hearing the sound. Some believe it is caused by unusual acoustics; others suspect mass hysteria or some secret, sinister purpose. Whether described as a whir, hum, or buzz and whether psychological, natural, or supernatural no one has yet been able to locate the sound's origin.

• Bigfoot

For decades, large, hairy, manlike beasts called Bigfoot have occasionally been reported by eyewitnesses across America. Despite the thousands of Bigfoot that must exist for a breeding population, not a single body has been found. Not one has been killed by a hunter, struck dead by a speeding car, or even died of natural causes. In the absence of hard evidence like teeth or bones, support comes down to eyewitness sightings and ambiguous photos and films. Since it is logically impossible to prove a universal negative, science will never be able to prove that creatures like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster do not exist, and it is possible that these mysterious beasts lurk far from prying eyes.

• Intuition
    Whether we call it gut feelings, a 'sixth sense,' or something else, we have all experienced intuition at one time or another. Of course, gut feelings are often wrong (how many times during aircraft turbulence have you been sure your plane was going down?), but they do seem to be right much of the time. Psychologists note that people subconsciously pick up information about the world around us, leading us to seemingly sense or know information without knowing exactly how or why we know it. But cases of intuition are difficult to prove or study, and psychology may only be part of the answer.

• Mysterious Disappearances

People disappear for various reasons. Most are runaways, some succumb to accident, a few are abducted or killed, but most are eventually found. Not so with the truly mysterious disappearances. From the crew of the Marie Celeste to Jimmy Hoffa, Amelia Earhart, and Natalee Holloway, some people seem to have vanished without a trace. When missing persons are found, it is always through police work, confession, or accident never by 'psychic detectives'). But when the evidence is lacking and leads are lost, even police and forensic science can't always solve the crime.

• Near-Death Experiences and Life After Death

People who were once near death have sometimes reported various mystical experiences (such as going into a tunnel and emerging in a light, being reunited with loved ones, a sense of peace, etc.) that may suggest an existence beyond the grave. While such experiences are profound, no one has returned with proof or verifiable information from "beyond the grave." Skeptics suggest that the experiences are explainable as natural and predictable hallucinations of a traumatized brain, yet there is no way to know with certainty what causes near-death experiences, or if they truly are visions of "the other side."

• The Bloop

The unexplainable sound was detected several times during the summer of 1997, originating off the South American southwest coast at about 50° S 100° W. Each time that it was captured the ultra-low frequency sound rose rapidly in frequency over about one minute, and had sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors from over 3,000 miles away. Perplexed researchers, unable to identify any possible source for the sound, dubbed it "The Bloop."

Got any others you'd like to add or discuss?

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Besides the ones that you mentioned (all of them are extremely interesting, although I never knew that intuition was considered a mystery) I have to add a few more I guess.

Some are real life cases, like the Zodiac Killer, and Jack the Ripper. Plus the Black Dahlia case is also one that was left unsolved. But I have to say, the Zodiac case was one of the most freakiest case I've read about.

Then we have the dozens of cryptids. Those are the few mysteries that I can think of right now. There are more, in many fields, but these are the ones I know about properly.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Loch Ness Monster is definitely worth a mention. I've been fascinated by the Loch Ness Monster my entire life. That whole "mysterious creature in a body of water" thing gives me the creeps, but in a good way.

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I loveeee mysteries.

Especially placebos and mind-over-body stuff...
    I secretly want to be psychic >.<

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024

I spent more time reading about those than I'd like to admit. Not a lot, but still.

I spent hours reading about those cryptids. I had just like stumbled upon a page about one of them, but still. One of them was actually pretty famous in my city a few years back. But it's just a creepy legend so no worries lol.

And I have to say, I think Bigfoot/Yeti is more famous than the Loch Ness Monster. There have been more sightings of those around the globe.

Lava_Princess

Princess of Everything Burning
    Years
  • I really really really love stuff like ghosts and the supernatural. It's always been my dream to live in some huge haunted Victorian mansion. I just think it would be so cool!

Also, there's this really interesting thing with dreams (another thing I love), called This Man. It's a man that at least 2000 people claimed to have seen in their dreams around the world from January 2006 to the present. The people who have seen him share no common traits, it's just some random guy in their dreams. It's so interesting!

Years
  • I loveeee mysteries.

Especially placebos and mind-over-body stuff...
    I secretly want to be psychic >.<

Placebo's and the "mind over matter" thing are some of the coolest things to study. Your mind actually tricks the body into thinking your better, with actual tangible, physical results. I find that insane to think about, that your mind can influence matter.

Back