• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] Mono-Color Challenge

Years
Alright, so here's one leg of my Ultimate that I started in 2014, continued with Alpha Sapphire in 2015, and didn't do anything with in 2016:

Username: Swagroar (formerly Pendraflare)
Color: Blue
Game: Black 2
Single or Ultimate?: Ultimate - As I said, already did X and Platinum in 2014, and Alpha Sapphire in 2015. Will have Soul Silver, Moon and Leaf Green (MAYBE Blue) after this.
Other rules for this round: Challenge Mode, Set battle style, will not use bag items in battle outside of Poké Balls
Spoiler:

My team:
Spoiler:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Ultimate Brown Monocolor Challenge (X) - Third and FINAL Update

Spoiler:

Ultimate Yellow Monocolor Challenge (Alpha Sapphire) - First Update

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Excuse the double post, but I got bored and did a thing that's kinda seperate from an actual update.

I went ahead and made a list of the first available Pokemon for each color and each game. Others might find this helpful I believe. I think I got the idea from one of the older monotype threads that made a similar index.

Pokemon in red are only attainable after the second gym, meaning you'd be able to hack/trade in a mon as per the rules.

Note: These are the first available encounters. They aren't necessarily the only pokemon available to you in the early game (ex. in Pokemon Yellow, the first red pokemon you can get is the Magikarp sold by the guy on Route 3, while you'd probably be better off with a Paras which are available soon after in Mt. Moon).

Here it is in all its glory:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years

I found 2 errors in the list, both in relation to Rattata-A

SM Black: Remove Alolan Rattata. Ratatta is Purple, Raticate is Brown.
SM Purple: I was going to say you forgot Alolan Grimer in Hau'oli, but I also forgot about Rattata.

REGARDLESS...

Username: Decidueye
Color: Yellow
Game: Sun
Ultimate: No

Multiple Alolan forms (Persian, Ninetails, Chu, Eggs) are open, weather control (Ninetails?, Pelipper), a couple mons I've really wanted to use but never could (Mimikyu, Ribombee, Ninetails), Island Scan mons (Leavanny, Axew, CYNDAQUIL), And then a couple random Electrics (Jolteon, Electavire). I think the only one I missed from above was Hypno, who is ugly as hell. It will be a very un-yellow team tho.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023

Edit: I left a comment on the discussion page of the List of Pokemon by Color page of Bulbapedia and I think it pushed them to update the page for Gen VII. Seems like they agree with my reasoning.

Previous response:
Spoiler:

Also thank you for posting since now I can post a new update without triple posting :3

Forever ago, long before this latest fervor of playing that I've had, I started a Blue run on my physical Platinum cartirdge so I could play it on the bus. I finally got around to finishing it recently!

Ultimate Blue Monocolor Challenge (Platinum) - First and FINAL Update

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
I'll sing up

Xander729
Pokemon Fire Red
Color: Red

I may do all the colors on Fire Red, but I will start with Red

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I've decided that when playing Sun and Moon, the in-game Pokedex color is what you use to guide your team, especially when in comes to Alolan Forms. For previous generation games, if the Pokemon color has changed depending on the form, then you can use either the old color or the new color if you want, but if you choose to use it in the new color, you need to use the form that has the color. This will still allow older runs in the old color to qualify.

For example, in Generation IV, Wormadam used to be Gray, but now each Cloak form has a different color. You can use any form in a Gray Monocolor, or the Plant Cloak in a Green, Sandy Cloak in a Brown, and Trash Cloak in a Red.

A more freer example is Cherrim - it can now be used in either a Pink or a Purple Monocolor, whereas before it was limited to Pink only. This is because the battle conditions for the Pink form is very limiting (only in sunshine) and the original form is actually Purple anyway.

Now, if there are Mega Evolutions that have a different color than their base form, they still can't be used. Which was always the rule in the first place, but I just want to make sure that doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Mega Charizard X and Mega Audino are still the only ones that have this restriction.

In any case, feel free to ask me questions about qualifying Pokemon anytime.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I've decided that when playing Sun and Moon, the in-game Pokedex color is what you use to guide your team, especially when in comes to Alolan Forms. For previous generation games, if the Pokemon color has changed depending on the form, then you can use either the old color or the new color if you want, but if you choose to use it in the new color, you need to use the form that has the color. This will still allow older runs in the old color to qualify.

For example, in Generation IV, Wormadam used to be Gray, but now each Cloak form has a different color. You can use any form in a Gray Monocolor, or the Plant Cloak in a Green, Sandy Cloak in a Brown, and Trash Cloak in a Red.

A more freer example is Cherrim - it can now be used in either a Pink or a Purple Monocolor, whereas before it was limited to Pink only. This is because the battle conditions for the Pink form is very limiting (only in sunshine) and the original form is actually Purple anyway.

Now, if there are Mega Evolutions that have a different color than their base form, they still can't be used. Which was always the rule in the first place, but I just want to make sure that doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Mega Charizard X and Mega Audino are still the only ones that have this restriction.

In any case, feel free to ask me questions about qualifying Pokemon anytime.

EDIT: I misread

So I can't use Persian-A on my Monoyellow? Darn. That and AlolaTails were a large part of the reason I went yellow.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Decidueye's Sun Monoyellow
Objectives: 2/11
Location: Prueba Ohana (Paniola Town) (Oh yeah, my game is in Spanish for this run. Oops.)
Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
And on that note, here's an update on my game.

Update on Ultimate Purple Monocolor Challenge.

Update #3 on Platinum.
  • Started in Pastoria City. Defeated all the trainers around the city, and Slugglish and Twintails evolved.
  • Wake wasn't too difficult despite my lack of super effective moves and team weaknesses to Ice and Water.
  • The Galactic Bomb blew up, so I tracked down the culprit and got the SecretPotion from Cynthia.
  • Headed to Celstic Town, where I defeated Cyrus and got Surf.
  • Used Surf to do some water training, then went to Canalave City, where I defeated Barry again.
  • Took on the Gym, and Byron was a breeze with Acrobat's Earthquake.
  • Another bomb exploded after that, then I trained in the Iron Islands before defeating Team Galactic at the lakes.
  • Trudged through the snow to Snowpoint City, where I defeated Candice without too much trouble.
  • Fought Team Galactic in Veilstone City and used a Dusk Stone I found there to evolve Missy into Mismagius.
  • Then I defeated Cyrus at HQ before climbing Mt. Coronet to foil his plans with Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina.
  • Cyrus actually took a couple tries to beat in the Distortion World because I had to leave a slot for a Rock Climb slave.
  • After vanquishing Team Galactic once and for all, I was able to access Sunyshore City.
  • Volkner went down with all OHKOs to Acrobat's Earthquake, then I saved.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Violet:
Spr_4p_472.png

Acrobat the Adamant Gliscor, ♀ - L48 @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: Earthquake, Strength, Aerial Ace, Thief
Spr_4p_424_m.png

Twintails the Lonely Ambipom, ♂ - L46 @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
Moves: Return, Rock Smash, Ice Punch, Cut
Spr_4p_429.png

Missy the Bold Mismagius, ♀ - L46 @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Shadow Ball, Confuse Ray, Thunderbolt, Psybeam
Spr_4p_442.png

Freakout the Bashful Spiritomb, ♀ - L46 @ Dread Plate
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Faint Attack, Hypnosis, Ominous Wind, Dream Eater
Spr_4p_423E.png

Sluggish the Quirky Gastrodon, ♀ - L47 @ Mystic Water
Ability: Storm Drain
Moves: Surf, Mud Bomb, Body Slam, Rain Dance
Spr_4p_169.png

Vexi the Impish Crobat, ♀ - L47 @ Toxic Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Cross Poison, Bite, Fly, Confuse Ray

HM Slaves:
Spr_4p_387.png

Turtwig - Rock Climb, Flash

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Ultimate Brown Monocolor Challenge (Moon) - First Update

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Blue Mono-Color Challenge Completed!

Badges Obtained:
50px-Coal_Badge.png
50px-Forest_Badge.png
50px-Cobble_Badge.png
50px-Fen_Badge.png
50px-Relic_Badge.png
50px-Mine_Badge.png
50px-Icicle_Badge.png
50px-Beacon_Badge.png

Pokemon Team:

luxray.png
Pok%C3%A9rusIC_IV_cured.png

Kira, the Luray♀
Level 54
Ability: Intimidate
Thunderbolt, Leer, Swagger & Crunch

empoleon.png

Pengu, the Empoleon♂
Level 54
Ability: Torrent
Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, Surf & Drill Peck

rampardos.png

Blue, the Rampardos♂
Level 53
Ability: Mold Breaker
Focus Energy, Rock Slide, Return & Zen Headbutt

azelf.png

Azilia, the Azelf
Level 54
Psychic, Uproar, Flamethrower & Nasty Plot​

2nd time I got the Pokerus during a challenge run! And yet I've never encountered a shiny Pokemon in the wild yet xD......sad really :(

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Ultimate Yellow Monocolor Challenge (Alpha Sapphire) - Second and FINAL Update

Spoiler:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years

One last ruling check: in-battle color changes i.e. Cherrim or, more relevantly, Yellow Core Minior (is Brown when above 50% health, Yellow when below 50% according to Pokedex) in gen 7 are allowed y/y? I'm assuming yes for now because the Pokédex says so, but if you want to correct me that works

Decidueye's Sun Monoyellow
Objectives: 6/11
MVPs:
Totem Gumshoos: Norzen the Wingull
Kahuna Hala: Anne the Cutiefly
Totem Wishiwashi: Anne the Cutiefly
Totem Salazzle: Norzen the Wingull (Z-Move: Norzen's Hydro Vortex [Water Pulse])
Totem Lurantis: Braev the Quilava (Z-Move: Braev's Inferno Overdrive [Flame Wheel])
Kahuna Olivia: Janne the Jolteon

Pretty easy run so far. I had a lot of trouble with Salazzle, who 2HKOed everyone not named Anne, who was a 1HKO. Eventually just revived Norzen 3 times (and got lucky). Olivia was the other battle I thought was going to be an issue with 3/4 of my team weak to Rock, but Janne literally soloed her first try by Charge Beaming the Nosepass to death and +3 Hidden Power OHKOing the other two. I hope Vikavolt will just be a Braev steamroll and I might have a Minior to try out on ya boi Guzma.

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years

Final Update (#4) on Platinum.
  • Started in Sunyshore City. Got Waterfall and used it to explore a bit.
  • Surfed to Victory Road, then boxed Missy for the trip through since I need Turtwig for Rock Climb :(.
  • Made it out without much trouble, then defeated Barry for the last time.
  • Did some grinding and EV training, as well as nabbing a Black Sludge from a wild Croagunk for Vexi.
  • Finalized movesets, then used all my Rare Candies to get everyone to L56 for the Elite Four.
  • Aaron was soloed by Acrobat's Earthquake, Aerial Ace, and Stone Edge.
  • Bertha was unexpectedly tough since Sluggish went down early on in the fight. I ended up using everyone for this fight. :O
  • Flint wasn't too difficult once the sunlight was cleared but he did take a team effort.
  • Lucian was handled by Missy and Freakout pretty easily.
  • Cynthia was quite tough as usual. I used everyone for this fight, and each member took down one of hers for a full team effort!
  • Here's the video and play-by-play of the Cynthia fight:

Video:
    Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
ultpurplesinnohhof.png

Team Violet (Final):
Spr_4p_169.png

Vexi the Impish Crobat, ♀ - L56 @ Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Cross Poison, Bite, Fly, Confuse Ray
Final Stats: 190/148/108/81/117/166
Sinnoh co-MVP
Spr_4p_429.png

Missy the Bold Mismagius, ♀ - L57 @ Wise Glasses
Moves: Shadow Ball, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Confuse Ray
Final Stats: 160/76/102/159/141/159
Sinnoh co-MVP, Cynthia co-MVP
Spr_4p_424_m.png

Twintails the Lonely Ambipom, ♂ - L56 @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
Moves: Double Hit, Brick Break, Ice Punch, Iron Tail
Final Stats: 155/179/80/89/92/157
Spr_4p_472.png

Acrobat the Adamant Gliscor, ♀ - L57 @ Soft Sand
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: Earthquake, Stone Edge, Aerial Ace, Swords Dance
Final Stats: 180/171/162/62/96/139
Sinnoh co-MVP, Elite Four MVP, Cynthia co-MVP
Spr_4p_442.png

Freakout the Bashful Spiritomb, ♀ - L57 @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Shadow Ball, Sucker Punch, Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot
Final Stats: 142/132/156/145/146/46
Cynthia co-MVP
Spr_4p_423E.png

Sluggish the Quirky Gastrodon, ♀ - L57 @ Wide Lens
Ability: Storm Drain
Moves: Surf, Blizzard, Mud Bomb, Body Slam
Final Stats: 231/109/103/148/106/57

HM Slaves:
Spr_4p_387.png

Turtwig - Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Cut, Flash

Oh yeah, I forgot I had Pokérus as well :P.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
Username: RibbonsAndRings
Color: White
Game: X
Ultimate: No

I was looking for a challenge that I deemed interesting, and I'm deciding to take part in this.

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years

Update #1 on Black 2.

Name: Indigo
Rival: Hugh
Starter: Snivy
  • Activated Challenge Mode, then caught Whiskers the Purrloin on Route 19.
  • Beat Hugh in Flocessy Ranch, then after grinding a little, I took on the gym.
  • Cheren was very difficult to beat with only one Pokemon, and I had to try it a few times before I won.
  • Moved on to Virbank City, and after beating everyone in the Complex and doing a couple Funfest Missions, I took on the gym.
  • Just prior to fighting Roxie, Whiskers evolved into Liepard! That made the fight a lot easier, and I won without much trouble, though I did end up at 1 HP prior to leveling up.
  • After defeating Team Plasma, I headed to Castelia City.
  • Went straight for the Sewers, where after quite a long time searching, I nabbed Toxix the Grimer.
  • Beat as many of the trainers I could inside, then took on the Castelia gym.
  • Defeated Burgh after a couple tries, mostly thanks to Toxix's Eviolite helping her tank hits.
  • Beat Colress on Route 4, then saved the game.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Indigo:
510.gif

Whiskers the Quiet Liepard, ? - L25 @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Limber
Moves: Pursuit, Return, Thief, Fake Out
088.gif

Toxix the Adamant Grimer, ? - L28 @ Eviolite
Ability: Stench
Moves: Strength, Disable, Sludge Bomb, Mud Bomb

HM Slave:
495_2.gif

Snivy - Cut

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Ultimate Brown Monocolor Challenge (Moon) - Second and FINAL Update

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
Spoiler:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years

Update #2 on Black 2.
  • Continuing from Route 4, I went north to Nimbasa City, then on to Route 16, where I nabbed Psyqueen the Gothita.
  • Trained up my team on the triners in Desert Resort and the other routes around Nimbasa City.
  • After roller-coating my way through the old gym, I took on the Nimbasa Gym.
  • Elesa was pretty tough because of Volt Switch being annoying, but I eventually was able to pull it out.
  • Soon after that, Psyqueen evolved into Gothorita!
  • Continued on to Driftveil City, and taught Signal Beam to Psyqueen and Seed Bomb to Whiskers with the Move Tutor.
  • After defeating Rood and receiving Zorua, I did some training around the city, then took on the gym.
  • Clay was too high leveled, so I did some more Audino training to get everyone to L36, then tried again.
  • Was finally able to take down Clay with the help of a crit Seed Bomb from Whiskers on Excadrill.
  • Went to the PWt, where I easily won the Driftveil Tournament, then I helped Hugh and Cheren take down Team Plasma.
  • Explored the rest of Relic Tunnel, where Toxix evolved into Muk!
  • Got Surf from Cheren on Route 6, then went through the Chargestone Cave to Mistralton City, where I saved.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Indigo:
089.gif

Toxix the Adamant Muk, ♀ - L38 @ Black Sludge
Ability: Stench
Moves: Strength, Dig, Sludge Wave, Disable
510.gif

Whiskers the Quiet Liepard, ♀ - L38 @ Leftovers
Ability: Limber
Moves: Return, Fake Out, Snarl, Seed Bomb
575.gif