• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mono Steel Team Help!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Hey guys I decided to leave my ninja team for a while because pokebank just refuses to come out lol so I decided to go for a team that I can actually create in my game.

Mono Steel Team Help!

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Agility
    - Substitute

This guy, when set up correctly, can sweep the other team real hard! I usually wait for a slow/weak/vulnerable pokemon to come in and then set up 1 agility (or if I see the other team is very slow I don't set up agility), and then set up substitute. If I see the other pokemon he/she has left does not have a priority move, I immediately go for scald or ice beam. However, Empoleon's biggest weakness is the frailty of switching in (I usually wait until one of my pokemon is KO'd as to secure a safe switching), priority moves (because I have to wait for my torrent and petaya berry to set off, which requires me to be at <25% HP, and a priority mach punch, extreme speed, ice shard, etc. usually kills me), lastly, burns are deadly to it. (I don't have to worry about toxic, steel is immune to it! :D)

Mono Steel Team Help!
    Mono Steel Team Help!

Lucario @ Lucarionite
    Ability: Steadfast
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Lucario is my baby. <3. Anyway, he is the main physical sweeper second to aegislash. He usually does a better job, but that's because I weakened everything with my other pokemon. His set is pretty common, bullet punch for priority (because I lack fake out and sucker punch and mach punch and ice shard, etc.) Earthquake just in case a pesky fire type comes along or so, and close combat is his main attack and STAB. I usually cannot get a swords dance up but whenever the opportunity comes I will try not to miss it. Close combat can 2HKO rotom-w if I don't die before so. Also, his pre-mega ability steadfast lets me switch into fake-outs so I can get leverage on fast pokemon with the extra speed boost.

Mono Steel Team Help!

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Stance Change
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Sacred Sword
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Swords Dance
    - King's Shield

Since I had to switch out skarmory to get more leverage against water types and some flying types, I decided to use aegislash as not only my suicide lead but also my physical wall. So now, instead of sending in Aegislash and not switching out until it dies like I did previously, now I switch him out whenever I see a threat to him such as klefki. However, Talonflame and Infernape are OK, because of King's shield. I usually have to do a huge prediction for using swords dance and king's shield, and if I predict nicely, I can sweep with just aegislash. He is usually the first pokemon I send in. If his health is low, or burned, or paralyzed, I use shadow sneak regardless (unless it's a normal type) so I can deal extra damage before it goes. I sacrificed air balloon for lum berry because he usually gets paralyzed or burned.

Mono Steel Team Help!

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Swarm
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Drill Run
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Pursuit

Escavalier is a tank! I rarely see him in showdowns but he just looks so cool I can't let go of him! But seriously though, he is really a special tank. Other than fire types, he can tank hydro pump from rotom-w and really make the foe frustrated. I especially love switching escavalier onto alakazam or gengar or starmie, because I absorb the shadow ball/psychic/scald and even hidden power fire, and I attack them with pursuit when they change. With its massive attack, pursuit does some heavy damage even if its not a dark type weakness. Megahorn makes up escavalier, and he can dent rotom-w really hard (from 100% hp to 14%). The only drawbacks to escavalier are burns, failed predictions, and megahorn's 85% accuracy. Megahorn's accuracy can be compensated by his bulkiness, however any burns on escavalier almost immediately makes him useless. Drill run is usually for tyrannitar or aggron or of those sort, and iron head just eliminates any fairy.

Mono Steel Team Help!

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Lava Plume
    - Ancient Power
    - Dragon Pulse

I had the hardest time getting this guy to work out. Before, I ran a special defense set with him and paired him up with skarmory, but with threats in OU (mainly infernape), he couldn't switch into any attacks other than fire, and could not retaliate! Therefore, I chose to scarf my heatran, and it worked wonders! I switch into a fire type, absorb the damage, and attack back with either earth power or ancient power (4x on talonflame and regular and Y mega charizards). The biggest drawback to heatran is of course the choice scarf's 1 option, earthquakes, and mach punches. I doubt heatran could survive a mach punch from infernape or darmanitan, and because I had to sacrifice air balloon for choice scarf, switching into an earthquake is the most unfortunate thing that would ever happen to me.

Mono Steel Team Help!

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Flash Cannon
    - Charge Beam

Finally, magnezone. I switched skarmory for this pile of magnets. This is mostly because I needed some sort of coverage for waters and flyings, but I also wanted to test out the subchargebeam strategy. So far I've been able to trap a ferrothorn and charge up my special attack and kindaaa sweep. I'm not so sure about this guy, if anything he goes out first. I just haven't had to use him yet so I can't say all too much about him. I use an air balloon instead of leftovers because since I switched out skarmory I needed an earthquake switch in.

Final self-analysis:
    Mono Steel Team Help!

My steel team went through multiple revises (I'm sure everyone's team has), and this is the best one of my tests. The main advantage of steel type is its ability to tank so many things, but at the same time be able to sweep.
    Mono Steel Team Help!

My main disadvantage is my slowness, since I did not go for a trick room team. The only fast pokemon I have is Lucario, and empoleon and magenzone (they are decent, only outspeeding ones like tyrannitar). Everyone else (with the exception of my choice scarfed heatran), are slow. But priority moves make up for my slowness.
    Mono Steel Team Help!
    Mono Steel Team Help!

Also, fire types usually ruin the heck out of me, but ever since I chose to have a choice scarf heatran, I can tank them, and aegislash can as well.
    Mono Steel Team Help!

The other huge problem I have is sableye, but I think I can take him out with heatran as well, since toxic and will o wisp cannot affect me.
    Mono Steel Team Help!

I'm actually slightly worried about this little guy. Nothing I have can really outspeed him and even if I can (with lucario or heatran), he is most likely sashed and has spore. I previously had a klefki that knew substitute which could have gotten rid of that annoying status. However, now I'm not too sure. And since I have no room for excadrill for a rapid spinner... stealth rocks and spikes and sticky web could be very annoying.
    Mono Steel Team Help!
    Mono Steel Team Help!

Lastly, the guy I had the most trouble with is GARCHOMP! There are so many sets of him I cannot predict what would come next. Usually it's either fire fang or earthquake, which in both cases send me straight into the dirt. The only guys able to take him down are empoleon, heatran, and aegislash, but even a choice scarfed heatran might not be able to outspeed garchomp (or maybe it was mega garchomp). I really need a way to solve this problem.
    Mono Steel Team Help!
    Mono Steel Team Help!

Also, I'm proud to say that these guys are finally not a problem for me anymore! (Or at least not AS much as a problem).

EDIT #1:
    I did not expect a clefable to ruin everything xD because I did not have taunt with me, and this clefable tanked my iron head from escavalier, and kept using cosmic power, softboil, and belly drum to sweep me.
    Mono Steel Team Help!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Klefki is well-known for its Prankster Spikes, so it should take advantage elf that:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Spikes
    -Foul Play/Dazzling Gleam
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/152 Def/104 SDef
    Item: Light Clay
    Ability: Prankster

Swords Dance + King's Shield Aegislash is easily played around, but viable nonetheless. The EV spread should be 240 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/12 Spe to give Aegislash a Leftovers number and outspeed 0 Speed Tyranitar.

Escavalier is now best played as an Assault Vest user. Choice Band is better done by Scizor. Escavalier also gained Drill Run in X/Y, so you should use it to hit Fire and/or Steel Pokemon on the switch:
    -Megahorn
    -Iron Head
    -Drill Run
    -Pursuit/Knock Off
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Assault Vest

Mawile needs Sucker Punch to compensate for its terrible Speed:
    -Play Rough
    -Sucker Punch
    -Fire Fang/Iron Head/Swords Dance
    -Swords Dance/Substitute
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 132 HP/252 Atk/124 Spe
    Item: Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I think that Leftovers is a better item for Skarmory. People generally don't use contact moves against it because those are often physical moves, which Skarmory lols at.
    Also, can you use Petaya Berry Empoleon? I thought the Petaya Berry wasn't available in this gen atm.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think that Leftovers is a better item for Skarmory. People generally don't use contact moves against it because those are often physical moves, which Skarmory lols at.
    Also, can you use Petaya Berry Empoleon? I thought the Petaya Berry wasn't available in this gen atm.

Petaya Berry is available via Berry mutations (Pomeg + Kasib).

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Are there any superior choice to these steel pokemon I've chosen? (Other than steel legendaries)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Scizor might be the better alternative to Escavalier, but you don't have to use it. Other than that, the Pokemon selection seems fine to me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks! Oh I just got to say, I just got a Korean Heatran. So should I replace someone on my team for it? :) Because I've noticed that anytime I'm playing Pokemon Showdown, anything fire related just completely obliterates me.

Thanks!
    Panda

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    If fire types worry you that much, then put Heatran in the team. It is a good Pokemon, and Flash Fire is a nice ability to have on a Steel team. Make sure to teach it Earth Power.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks! Which pokemon should I take out for it?

Oh and should I put metagross in it?

ARGGH There are just TOO MANY COOL STEEL TYPES DX

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    lol, yeah, there's so many good Steel types to choose from.

If you're gonna take anything out for Heatran, might as well be Escavalier. I wouldn't really put Metagross on the team. Besides the issue of who to replace, it took a hard hit from Steel losing its Dark and Ghost resistance. It's not like Metagross is terrible now, but it wouldn't really help to put it on the team either.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks Zekrom!

Oh yeah since my steel types are so slow, should I make a trick room team?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's not totally necessary to make it into a Trick Room team. Your team should be able to function without it. Aegislash has Shadow Sneak (and can take a hit), Empoleon has Agility, Skarmory doesn't care if it goes second, and Mawile has Sucker Punch. Priority Thunder Wave from Klefki helps too.

And so we don't have to shuffle around this team anymore, I say no to Trick Room. If you really wanna make a Trick Room team, I suggest making a second mono-Steel team. Plenty of good but slow Steel types to use, after all.

Oh, and maybe use this for your Heatran:

-Heatran w/Air Balloon
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 HP
    Moves: Fire Blast/Lava Plume, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, Flash Cannon

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks for the set--

I just tried a couple battles online and I failed miserably... I just don't have enough coverage for anything! It might be because I'm not used to my team yet but I don't think a mono steel team can work at all :/

Maybe other mono steel users could give me some advice but so far I've been beaten by newbies that use only attacking moves lol.

EDIT: I tried out a durant strategy and had mild success although it was mostly my empoleon's work.
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75021972

EDIT #2: I wish Steelix is better than it is.... (poor type and spdef stat) or else I would use it all the time-- it's just such a cool looking pokemon ruined by its stats!!

EDIT #3: Another success! But with a different team...
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75028368

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Def / 4 Atk / 252 HP
    Relaxed Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Megahorn
    - Pursuit
    - Drill Run

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
    Calm Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Lava Plume
    - Roar
    - Protect

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 12 HP / 4 Def / 240 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Agility
    - Substitute

Klefki @ Light Clay
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Thunder Wave
    - Foul Play

Lucario @ Lucarionite
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Brick Break
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    If Slayr can win battles with his mono-Grass team and I can win battles with my mono-Dragon team, you can do it with your Steel team. You do have to get used to it though, and it takes some tweaking via trial and error (my team still might need a tweak or 2). If this second team is working much better for you, roll with it.

One thing, though. Lucario should use Close Combat instead of Brick Break. It's defenses are so low that the Defense/Sp.Defense drop doesn't matter, and you need the extra power, even with a SD boost.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Omg yes I totally forgot you and Slayr both have mono type teams. That gives me inspiration xD

If possible, could you critique my team any further? XD
    Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Agility
    - Substitute

Lucario @ Lucarionite
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
    Adamant Nature
    - Sacred Sword
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Swords Dance
    - King's Shield

Klefki @ Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Drill Run
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Pursuit

I'm still having trouble with bulky pokemon such as Rotom - W. Is there a steel type that can sort of counter these? Also, other than letting Heatran absorb fire damage, it can't do much else :/. I always die by a mach punch by infernape or my balloon pops and an earthquake OHKOs me. D:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Heatran could run a more offensive set if the specially defensive set doesn't do much for you. It'll still absorb fire damage thanks to Flash Fire, and pose an offensive threat at the same time. Skarmory pairs well with it, since it can easily take a Mach Punch and is immune to Earthquake.

-Heatran w/Life Orb, Air Balloon, or Choice Specs/Scarf
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
    Moves: Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Fire Blast/Lava Plume, Dragon Pulse

Rotom-W gives a lot of people problems (so it's been common since DPP) and is even more common nowadays because of Talonflame being everywhere. A Steel type that clogs the washing machine, however, is Ferrothorn, since it has great bulk and resists its STABs. There is the issue of a burn, but Ferro should be ok since most Rotom-W's should run at the sight of it, and Leech Seed+Leftovers will heal off any damage.

Also, I like Stealth Rock better on Skarmory. No Pokemon is immune to SR, and a lot of pokes are weak to the Rock type.

...Ah, we gotta shuffle your team again. Who should go?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Omg yes ferrothorn!

Ugh this is so hard-- I literally spent half an hour picking out who should be on my team-- I like ALL of the steel types (with the exception of probopass... does anyone like him?)

Maybe I should just have a box full of steel types and just pick according to my friend's teams xD (but that's a problem when I utilize it in Pokemon showdown)

I think I saw it on this forum but I really like the idea of individual players being a gym leader of I'm not sure what the game/rule is. How does that work? I might try it out with my friends haha

And also thanks a lot Zekrom for your help! :DDDD

EDIT: Oh yeah... I want my Skarmory to have stealth rocks but I don't have any pokebank pokemon to breed it with :( Also, my Heatran's nature is calm ingame, so that would probably ruin a timid set I wanted to go for D:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75505735

Guys guys! Choice scarf Heatran works on anything except blaziken and infernape! :DD

EDIT 2: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75509028

I annoyed another guy. I think people don't expect a choice scarf heatran. I have my heatran's nature as Calm just because my own heatran is calm, but if I can find anyone who has a modest heatran or timid I would definitely trade with them xD

I changed Skarmory to Magnezone w/ Air Balloon for more coverage. I'm finally able to win battles!!!!

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Agility
    - Substitute

This guy, when set up correctly, can sweep the other team real hard! I usually wait for a slow/weak/vulnerable pokemon to come in and then set up 1 agility (or if I see the other team is very slow I don't set up agility), and then set up substitute. If I see the other pokemon he/she has left does not have a priority move, I immediately go for scald or ice beam. However, Empoleon's biggest weakness is the frailty of switching in (I usually wait until one of my pokemon is KO'd as to secure a safe switching), priority moves (because I have to wait for my torrent and petaya berry to set off, which requires me to be at <25% HP, and a priority mach punch, extreme speed, ice shard, etc. usually kills me), lastly, burns are deadly to it. (I don't have to worry about toxic, steel is immune to it! :D)

Lucario @ Lucarionite
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Lucario is my baby. <3. Anyway, he is the main physical sweeper second to aegislash. He usually does a better job, but that's because I weakened everything with my other pokemon. His set is pretty common, bullet punch for priority (because I lack fake out and sucker punch and mach punch and ice shard, etc.) Earthquake just in case a pesky fire type comes along or so, and close combat is his main attack and STAB. I usually cannot get a swords dance up but whenever the opportunity comes I will try not to miss it. Close combat can 2HKO rotom-w if I don't die before so. Also, his pre-mega ability steadfast lets me switch into fake-outs so I can get leverage on fast pokemon with the extra speed boost.

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
    Adamant Nature
    - Sacred Sword
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Swords Dance
    - King's Shield

Since I had to switch out skarmory to get more leverage against water types and some flying types, I decided to use aegislash as not only my suicide lead but also my physical wall. So now, instead of sending in Aegislash and not switching out until it dies like I did previously, now I switch him out whenever I see a threat to him such as klefki. However, Talonflame and Infernape are OK, because of King's shield. I usually have to do a huge prediction for using swords dance and king's shield, and if I predict nicely, I can sweep with just aegislash. He is usually the first pokemon I send in. If his health is low, or burned, or paralyzed, I use shadow sneak regardless (unless it's a normal type) so I can deal extra damage before it goes. I sacrificed air balloon for lum berry because he usually gets paralyzed or burned.

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Drill Run
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Pursuit

Escavalier is a tank! I rarely see him in showdowns but he just looks so cool I can't let go of him! But seriously though, he is really a special tank. Other than fire types, he can tank hydro pump from rotom-w and really make the foe frustrated. I especially love switching escavalier onto alakazam or gengar or starmie, because I absorb the shadow ball/psychic/scald and even hidden power fire, and I attack them with pursuit when they change. With its massive attack, pursuit does some heavy damage even if its not a dark type weakness. Megahorn makes up escavalier, and he can dent rotom-w really hard (from 100% hp to 14%). The only drawbacks to escavalier are burns, failed predictions, and megahorn's 85% accuracy. Megahorn's accuracy can be compensated by his bulkiness, however any burns on escavalier almost immediately makes him useless. Drill run is usually for tyrannitar or aggron or of those sort, and iron head just eliminates any fairy.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Lava Plume
    - Ancient Power
    - Dragon Pulse

I had the hardest time getting this guy to work out. Before, I ran a special defense set with him and paired him up with skarmory, but with threats in OU (mainly infernape), he couldn't switch into any attacks other than fire, and could not retaliate! Therefore, I chose to scarf my heatran, and it worked wonders! I switch into a fire type, absorb the damage, and attack back with either earth power or ancient power (4x on talonflame and regular and Y mega charizards). The biggest drawback to heatran is of course the choice scarf's 1 option, earthquakes, and mach punches. I doubt heatran could survive a mach punch from infernape or darmanitan, and because I had to sacrifice air balloon for choice scarf, switching into an earthquake is the most unfortunate thing that would ever happen to me.

EDIT!!!!!!
    I just recently ran into a very annoying cosmic power and belly drum clefable. It would seem like fairies have a disadvantage over me but not clefable! Especially when I don't have taunt, and I don't know who to run taunt with!

Last edited:
    Back