• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen MonoType Challenge for R/B/Y

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    OK, here are the userbars you can put in your sigs:

monotypepoisonqf1.png

monotypefightingke0.png

monotypewatercu7.png

monotypegrassjh7.png

monotypefireta7.png

monotypeflyingcz2.png

monotypebugir1.png

monotypenormalyv1.png

monotypeelectricew0.png

Make sure you link them to this thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3902989) so people know what you're talking about! If there are any problems, just ask.

Another question - can you catch a Pokémon in order to use it for an in-game trade to get a Pokémon of your assigned type?
    Also, is there going to be a PM to say when we can start or pre-defined start time?

Years
  • What happens with types that are only available post-Brock. Such as Ground. Also, would you be allowed to catch something if an evolution was the specified type? (Within reason)

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    Is it ok for me to say trade pickachu from yellow to red so I can catch a Electebuzz in red.

.:God:.

Hiding in the silence...
    Years
  • Hm... I've been gone for a while eh?
    Well, here we goes!

@varial: Eh, no. Spots are filled.

@Torture: Do everything, not just gyms.

@Kip: Those are awesome! Yes, you can trade. Also, if you read the first post, it says "Everyone may start their challenges!"

@Archer: That's whyI didn't psot them up there. Every position is filled.

@Kanto: Yes.

Parabolic

wutizdisiduneven
    Years
  • Started Blue, went through the processes of the opening stuff, got a Pidgey, threw my Bulbasaur in the computer, the Pidgey is now lvl 10 and I have a lvl 8 Spearow. I'm not taking on the first gym until they are level 20 or around there. >.>;

Lt. Surge is gonna SUCK... ;.;

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    Yes, The challenge begins, ill post my progress tommorrow with screen shots.

Hiding in the silence...
    Years
  • Ok. I'll get started right now.

Started game, did events, btw name is God and rival is Yunghov. Battled Yunghov, won, and now I'm at route 1, I already battled some wild Pokemon.

Pokemon:

Charmander - Level 8
    Attack: 15
    Defense: 12
    Speed: 16
    Special: 13
    Scratch, Growl

Did Pokeball event, just battled Gary and lost.

Just battled Gary again, and won.

Made it through Viridian Forest with Charmander at level 14. Just battle Brock's junior trainer, lost.

Beat Junior Trainer. Level 15.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    Pokémon: Monotype Challenge, Electric Day 1

At the beginning of the challenge I quickly loaded up both my Pokemon Yellow and Red Roms ready to get on with things playing half and half I quickly got Pikachu and Bulbasaur rushed to the poke mart received a pokedex then rushed to the Pokemon Center where, I trade Pikachu for Bulbasaur who will make a HM Slave appearance later).

Soon after I continued on to just outside the pokemon League where I encountered a number of Nidoran, Rattatt and other minor pokemon of no use to me before finnaly arrive with a Pikachu at level 9. After a pit stop the Poke Center I returned to this area and fought Gary, crushing his team consisting of Pidgey Lv9 and Charmander Lv 8 with Thunder Wave and Thundershock before Arriving at level 10.

It appears the stats on my Pikachu may suck a bit though :X .

Party Status (1/6)

Pikachu Level 10

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Sep 6, 2008
    i'm not gonna record, it'll take too long lol anyways

also I beat gary trained ratta to lvl 13 went through viridian forest, beat junior trainer in gym, saved and beat brock with 30 hp left.

now I have A Rattata lvl16

EDIT 1: just about to go in mount moon and bam rattata is evolving, woot! next is clefairy...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    I decided to start again, using only pokemon yellow.

• Got Pikachu
    • Beat Garry at level 9
    • Beat Junior Level 13
    • Lost to Brock
    • Training some more

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Sep 6, 2008
    i'm going to fast, just beat misty i couldn't get clefairy as i'm too overleveled, OHKO Staryu 2HKO starmie.

Raticate lvl 26
    Attack: 61
    Defense: 49
    Speed: 64
    Special: 39

EDIT 1: Just going up to visit Bill and I beat Bingo / Gary OHKO everything...

EDIT 2: YAY!!! I finally catch another normal type, a lvl 14 meowth, i'll give it some training then off to Vermillion!

Last edited:

Ramengan

16-foot Poliwag
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2011
    Start Challenge
    Version: Red
    Name: Jack
    Rival: John

Picked Bulbasaur, didn't give it a nickname. Battled rival and won. Quickly delivered Parcel, and headed back to Viridian to get Poke Balls. Caught Nidoran (male). Had a rough time training it from level 2 up. When it reached level 10, caught Nidoran (female) at lvl 3. Stopped using Bulbasaur at this point. Also trained Nidoran (f) to level 10.

Easily defeated rival, and headed up to Viridian Forest. Cleared it easily and saved outside Brock's Gym. Defeated Jr. Trainer. Faced Brock and lost. Bought Potions, faced again and won. Saved after receiving BoulderBadge.

Nidoran (m)
    Level 14
    Leer
    Tackle
    Horn Attack
    Poison Sting

Nidoran (f)
    Level 13
    Growl
    Tackle
    Horn Attack
    ------------------------------------

Going pretty well so far, though I think I'm a bit lengthy time-wise. Clocked almost 2 hours already.
    I forgot to give my pokes nicknames oops.

Hiding in the silence...
    Years
  • Just beat Brock. Now that Charmander evolved, I am traveling to the Mt. Moon. Next is Ponyta.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Start Challenge
    Version: Red
    Name: Jack
    Rival: John

Picked Bulbasaur, didn't give it a nickname. Battled rival and won. Quickly delivered Parcel, and headed back to Viridian to get Poke Balls. Caught Nidoran (male). Had a rough time training it from level 2 up. When it reached level 10, caught Nidoran (female) at lvl 3. Stopped using Bulbasaur at this point. Also trained Nidoran (f) to level 10.

Easily defeated rival, and headed up to Viridian Forest. Cleared it easily and saved outside Brock's Gym. Defeated Jr. Trainer. Faced Brock and lost. Bought Potions, faced again and won. Saved after receiving BoulderBadge.

Nidoran (m)
    Level 14
    Leer
    Tackle
    Horn Attack
    Poison Sting

Nidoran (f)
    Level 13
    Growl
    Tackle
    Horn Attack
    ------------------------------------

Going pretty well so far, though I think I'm a bit lengthy time-wise. Clocked almost 2 hours already.
    I forgot to give my pokes nicknames oops.

Where's Bulba rite now? He's poison as well.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Darn it! All my favourites are taken. I'll take Psychic instead then. But do you mind if I gameshark an Abra? Because it'll be hard to get one before Brock.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    Beat brock with a level 20 pikachu and a spam of double team and quick attack
    Got through Mt. Moon leveled Pikachu to Level 27.
    OHKO all trainers in Mistys Gym with Pikachu level 27.
    OHKO Nugget Bridge, Destroyed Gary.
    Met Bill, taught pickachu Sesmic Toss as apparently a mouse that size can lift any thing spin around then smash it into the ground. Bring on SS.Anne and LT Surge!
    Boarded SS ANNE Beat all trainer got Pikachu to level 36, picked up cut withdrew bulbasaur taught it cut.
    OHKO LT SUrge with a Sesmic Toss :D Level 37 Pikachu...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Sep 6, 2008
    I frogot to save game last night so i was back at brock...beat brock went to mt moon skipping trainers and i caught a clefairy

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    OK here we go:

You can't have any fighting types at the start of Red or Blue, so I chose to use Yellow so I can open my account with Mankey. Pikachu was only used to defeat Gary at the start; since then and from now on Pikachu will just accompany me as a HM Slave (Flash). Yes I know you can go without Flash essentially but meh, Pikachu following you makes Yellow worth playing. ;)

Quite proud of my luck; I chose to catch Mankey without using Pikachu - in other words throw a Ball immediately...and it worked FIRST time! W00t!

Mankey got to level 10 before I took on Gary on Route 28, so it had already learned the all-important Low Kick. The Pidgey was easily beaten, as was Eevee. Level 11 in the process. Though thanks to the weird type match-ups on R/B/Y I had to resort to Scratch to beat Pidgey. Luckily I never took a Sand Attack so that helped.

Viridian Forest was a beast. Good job I actually bought Antidotes. I NEVER buy Antidotes normally, but the rate that Mankey kept falling victim to Poison Sting's effect, it was almost jinxed! >_< Amazingly I managed to survive without croaking once! I'm already in love with this adventure...

We made it to Pewter City. Pikachu is still Level 6 for the record (not been used apart from Gary's first battle), and Mankey is a healthy Level 13. By the time I've faced and defeated the trainer in Brock's Gym I am now in a dilemma: Mankey is Level 14...do I go through endless training to get to the all-important Karate Chop at Level 15, or do I take on Brock now? Either way I'll definitely end up winning...

...but one level higher is one level closer to success - I went for the former! I faced Brock with a Pikachu puppet and a strong Level 15 Mankey with Low Kick AND Karate Chop.

...Mankey lost 15 HP in the whole battle. Geodude was out in one; Onix with more Speed, Binded me before I could wipe him out.

So here I am...just going through the trainers en route to Mt. Moon and a pretty solid Level 17 Mankey. I feel confident!

I might not win the 'race' but I'm enjoying this challenge greatly! I've already got Sabrina all worked out: a move called Seismic Toss should help me there... ;) as for Agatha, I might just have all my Ethers and Elixirs saved up and rely on my Rock Slide...which I ALWAYS have to teach a Fighting type if I have one in my squad!

Back