• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen MonoType Challenge for R/B/Y

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Blast! I didn't get the PM 'till today - pesky time zone differences...

If it's a race, maybe we judge the finish by the Play Time as it's shown when the Elite Four is defeated. Then when everyone is finished, we'll see who is the quickest (and second and third and so on). It's just for peeps (like me) who can only put a certain amount of time into it a day and fitting it around other stuff (like studying). So it might be useful to 'stamp' your reports with a starting and finishing time upon saving. What do you think?

I'm going to try and put an hour in each day, more on the weekends.

Playing on: Red
    Monotype: Water
    Player Name: KIP
    Rival Name: BLUE (Yes, I'm using the official name :P)
    Starter: Squirtle, nicknamed 'DEAN'

Started: 3/9/08 (or 09/03/08 if you're from the US) 4:54 PM BST (British Summer Time)

monotypewatercu7.png
    : Day 1

It begins!!

STARTING GAME TIME: 0:00

I chose Squirtle as a starter and nicknamed it Dean (not sure why, the name just came to me). Dean went on to a narrow victory against Blue's Bulbasaur. In the first route I trained Dean up to Level 8 by battling wild Pokémon (I never RUN from wilds unless absolutly neccesary - you'll never believe how much extra EXP you get if you never RUN), then did the whole Parcel thing. I couldn't find Blue on Route 28, (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough).

Went on through Route 2 battling more wilds. No problems experienced through Viridian Forest, though weirdly there was absolutly no wild encounters at all (not sure if this was because Dean was at a higher level than expected at that part or a bug in the game).

I arrived at Pewter City and did all the healing and buying of items. I trained Dean up to Level 14 before facing Brock. I took on Brock and won without any damage at all (not even STAT damage), so I'm pretty satisfied with that. Afterwards I proceeded up Route 2, fighting every trainer, and Dean evolved into a Wartortle at Level 16.

I saved the game at the Pokémon Centre just outside Mount Moon. Upon saving, Dean was at Level 18.

FINISHING GAME TIME: 0:44

So there we go. I've also been using a completed FireRed to check on the Pokédex and stuff on locations for other Water types :) .

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Sep 6, 2008
    i've been using space while training so it shows up 8 hours outside vermillion, i guess i have to start again.!!!

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    Time Posting Will Start Next Post

• Caught Magnemite
    • Leveled it to 30
    • Got HM Flash

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Darn it! All my favourites are taken. I'll take Psychic instead then. But do you mind if I gameshark an Abra? Because it'll be hard to get one before Brock.
    I don't want to spam, but I think my post is starting to get ignored.... HELLOOOOOOO....

Again, sorry for the spam.

.:God:.

Hiding in the silence...
    Years
  • HarryBlue? You didn't notice that all the spots are taken yet, did you? Yeah, they are. I only put up the types that you can get before the first gym.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Actually, since MoonlightKnight pulled out the Grass position is open I think (need .:God:. to confirm it).

.:God:.

Hiding in the silence...
    Years
  • Oh yeah, forgot about that! Thanks Kip! HarryBlue5, Grass Type is still open, if you want it.

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Oh yeah, forgot about that! Thanks Kip! HarryBlue5, Grass Type is still open, if you want it.
    Hello? I said I could Gameshark up an Abra? Which would mean a Psychic type, it may not be open. But I did notice every postion was taken, otherwise I'd of taken Bug or Fire. But if you insist, I'll take Grass

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I didn't mean any serous charking, like I was going to shark the Abra wild battl,e and catch it fair and square...

But actually, I don't really use Grass Pokémon, so it'll be fun, like a new challenge... I'll take grass!

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Moonlight, rather than doing one here, why don't you check the Advanced Generartion Forum. Then you can make your own challenge! That way you'll get first choice!

Parabolic

wutizdisiduneven
    Years
  • Okay... been a while since an update from me. I played in between classes at college as well as the new game I started on Diamond (I might start a monotype challenge on those games if there isn't one, already. This is cool.)

I am currently on my way to S.S. Anne in Vermilion. I am dreading the Lt. Surge battle, but I'll try my best, ya know?

Party:

Pidgeotto - lvl 27
    Fearow - lvl 26
    Golbat - lvl 27 (REALLY missing Crobat, here...)

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    I'll post more detail later when I have a bit more free time, but this is just an update.

I've got the Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle and am hanging on to them for possible HM slaves; Bulbasaur will definitely be having Cut, and Squirtle will definitely be having Surf. Charmander, I MIGHT hold out for Strength if I choose to let my Mankey have four open options for attacks.

Still have only used Mankey though, now a Level 27 going to face Lt. Surge - Misty was fairly easy, I just used Karate Chop on Staryu, and used Seismic Toss on Starmie (which I found on the way to Bill's house).

Hopefully I'll have a Primeape in time for Surge, if not it shouldn't be a problem still. It is just the Raichu on Yellow to face after all.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    WWWWWWWWWait I didn't quit I just questioned Hey I don't have Red Blue or Yellow so can I use Firered and leafgreen

Really? But...

Wait if this a race then I quit I cannot play games very fast I would not win

That seemed pretty clear to me - and no, you can't use FireRed or LeafGreen 'cos this challenge is designed for R/B/Y only.

Parabolic

wutizdisiduneven
    Years
  • Personally, I don't agree with using FR and LG, either. Don't they have the 2nd and 3rd generation moves and items? It would just be an unfair advantage to those of us using the classic games.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    Agreed.

So download the ROMs if you don't own Red, Blue or Yellow - then stop whinging and do your talking on the game! :P Man or mouse? ;)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Ok.
    Started on Yellow.
    Used Pikachu for the very FIRST battle against my rival. Got to Viridian forest ignoring my rival's second battle and other non-bug types, leaving my Pikachu at level six. Got a Caterpie at Lv.5 and trained it into a Metapod, and then Butterfree, having to go to the PC only three times. Battled my rival for the second time. Took out Pidgeywith Confusion, as well as Eevee.
    Now my Butterfree is at level 17 (Due to some intense training)
    With:
    Confusion
    Poison Powder
    Harden
    Tackle

Beat Brock, got Boulder Badge.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    09:44

• Got through cave near power plant,
    • Got magneton to level 36
    • Passed through Lavender Town and went to Celadon
    • Got Evee
    • Evolved it to Jolteon
    • Saved, now ill train.

11:22

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    .:God:., who's gonna do grass-type, me, or Moonlight.

Back