• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Monotype Challenge-- Red/Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
Years
  • Seeing as though all of the previous R/B monotype threads have died off, I figured it's time for a new one ^_^

Rules
    1. You may only use Pokemon of the type you have specified
    2. This is not a race so take your time if you'd like!
    3. The first Pokemon of your type must be caught before defeating Lt. Surge (this means no cheating with Diglett!)
    4. No glitches whatsoever (no, you cannot use Mew for a psychic challenge) ONE EXCEPTION: You can only use Mew for an HM slave as it can learn em all. But no battling with it, it must be kept at level seven at all times
    5. Dual types are allowed
    6. No legendary Pokemon
    7. If the Pokemon you choose evolves into your type (Charmander->Charizard for flying), you can use it
    8. No trading unless it is to evolve a Pokemon
    9. HM slaves are allowed (2 maximum), but you CANNOT use them in battles, especially for the Elite Four
    10. You may use a type even if someone else has started a challenge with it
    11. Emulators are acceptable, and you may use the spacebar for speeding up grinding
    12. Dragon Pokemon will not be included as the only one is Dratini, obtainable much too late
    13. Please update posts once every few gyms... Or every gym if you feel so inclined ^_^
    14. Your challenge ends after defeating the Elite Four (But feel free to keep playing :D)
    15. HAVE FUN

If you have any questions on the rules or the challenge feel free to VM me or post it on this thread.

Types and Challengers
    Credit to Limey_Chan/Cooltrainer Mike for the banners!
    Grass
    Monotype Challenge-- Red/Blue
    Spoiler:

Fire
    Spoiler:

Water
    Spoiler:

Bug
    Spoiler:

Poison
    Spoiler:

Normal
    Spoiler:

Flying
    Spoiler:

Electric
    Spoiler:

Rock
    Spoiler:

Ground
    Spoiler:

Fighting
    Spoiler:

Psychic
    Spoiler:

Champions
    Spoiler:

Alright peoples, dig up that dusty Red/Blue you haven't played in forever and get cracking! It should be alot of fun :D

Last edited:

Atlas

Steam Soldier
    Years
  • This sounds quite interesting. I'm debating whether I should pull out the old emu' and run through.

Sign me up for the "poison" type.

Also, do you mind me using the yellow game, or is that a no-go? I'm just going to start on yellow, and if I'm told otherwise, i'll switch. The early game isn't bad to redo on an emulator.

PlatniumPiano

Years
  • This sounds quite interesting. I'm debating whether I should pull out the old emu' and run through.

Sign me up for the "poison" type.

Also, do you mind me using the yellow game, or is that a no-go? I'm just going to start on yellow, and if I'm told otherwise, i'll switch. The early game isn't bad to redo on an emulator.

Mmm I'd prefer it be on red or blue for consistancy's sake. Thanks for signing up though :D

Atlas

Steam Soldier
    Years
  • Ok, I'm switching to blue now.

Anyways, it's slightly annoying that I can't get an Arbok and a Victreebel on the same game.

Edit:

Player: ATLAS
    Rival: SEMP

Starter: BULBORB/Bulbasaur
    Reason: Grass/Poison Type

Hehe, forgot losing to even a wild pokemon cut your money in half in this version. I was careless and landed with only 750 money left when I got to being able to buy pokeballs.

Caught a Nidoran(Female) and named her GOOBLE, and then a Nidoran(Male) and named him THOR. I love how the male version learns Horn Attack at lv 9, a move that is both powerful and where the female learns Scratch... Leaving her with both scratch and tackle.

Lol, caught and banked a Pikachu out of novelty. I caught a Weedle but forgot to name it, so i'm going to deposit it too. Also, clefairy caught and banked.

I can't seem to really skip over these slightly rare Pokemon, lol.

Defeated my rival by switching to BULBORB to leech seed his Charmander and then to GOOBLE to kill it. THOR had leveled to 22 during the battle, and I didn't want to take the chances with him leveling again. At 23, Nidoking learns the most epic move in the game, in my opinion. I love how they nerfed thrash in the later versions, making it hit only 2-3 times rather than 3-5.

Once my rival finished walking away, I used the moon stone on THOR. And then I remembered that I forgot to get the second hidden moon stone in Mt. Moon. Also, the Pokemon Blue sprite for Nidoking is epic. The backsprite isn't, but who care's about the fact that you're going to be staring at it 99% of the upcoming battles.

Brock Battle:

Used THOR and his horn attack move to kill geodude, and then BULBORB for Onix.

Misty Battle:

Was over too quickly for comfort. Her first pokemon died with just one vine whip, and her second one almost died within 2. Switched to THOR to deal the final blow, and got a bubblebeam in the face to boot.

Last edited:

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    hm, ok, i'll do a normal run in blue. brock shouldn't be...too bad...

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • Hm... this looks like fun. *has never tried a Mono-type challenge before*
    Can I sign up for Poison, using my ol' Blue? There's already a game on there, but I've restarted so much that restarting again for this challenge doesn't bug me in the least.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Here we go!

Player: A
    Rival: James

Got a Squirtle and quickly renamed him KIPPER. We bonded when he barely beat James' Bulbasaur (1 HP left!). We trained a bunch near Viridian City and picked up a Spearow, to be traded for an HM slave Farfetch'd later on. I leveled Spearow and KIPPER a bunch, and beat James again.

Pokemon:
    Kipper

Bubble
    Tail Whip
    Tackle

Spearow

Peck
    Growl
    Leer

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
  • I'm doing a pure Bug for Red, and Blue is Pure Fire. The pokemon in on your banner is who I will be doing for each. Could I do my Yellow ver. too?

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Small Update:

Kipper and I sped through Viridian Forest, and Kipper was level 15 when we got out. So, when I beat the first trainer in the Pewter Gym, and Kipper evolved into a Wartortle! Brock was too easy. After getting my first badge, I entered Mt. Moon. I got about halfway and decided to take a break here.

Team:

KIPPER: Lv. 22

Tackle
    Tail Whip
    Bubble
    Water Gun

Spearow: Lv. 11

Peck
    Growl
    Leer

Last edited:

PlatniumPiano

Years
  • Nice updates everyone ^_^ Got a lot of new players for this, glad to see activity is up haha. As for myself, I am going to finish the blue monotype I started for water a long time ago... Currently have four badges and:

Titan/Lapras, Level 20:
    - Water Gun
    - Growl
    - Sing
    - Mist

Angler/Kingler, Level 43:
    - Stomp
    - Crabhammer
    - Vicegrip
    - Guillotine

Jormungand/Gyarados, Level 42:
    - Hydro Pump
    - Dragon Rage
    - Bite
    - Water Gun

Dart/Blastoise, Level 42:
    - Water Gun
    - Withdraw
    - Skull Bash
    - Bite

I'm doing a pure Bug for Red, and Blue is Pure Fire. The pokemon in on your banner is who I will be doing for each. Could I do my Yellow ver. too?

I'd prefer not for yellow, consistency's sake... But shouldn't two challenges be enough?? Haha
    And btw the banners are not mine... Cooltrainer Mike's.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • AND SO WE BEGIN

AND THUS, THE ADVENTURE BEGINS. WARNING, NARRATIVE FLUFF. I had too much fun summarizing the first day.

Chapter I: Cue the Overly Cliche Title about Beginnings and Adventures
    So this kid named Raphael, aka "the Protagonist", rolls out of bed and wanders about his room for a bit (during which he finds one[1] potion in the PC). He gets dressed, comes downstairs, and his Mom tells him Professor Oak is looking for him.

FANTASTIC! Raphael wanders around Pallet Town, taking his sweet time, during which he meets his rival, Samuel, and Sam's older sister Daisy.... and then he tries to leave town because the professor has obviously stood him up and is no where to be found.

BUT WAIT! Oak shows up out of no where like a ninja, warning the young protagonist about the dangers of wild grass without a Pokemon, and thus Raphael is dragged back to the lab to get his starter. And since this IS a Poison Type monochallenge, it makes sense to pick Bulbasaur!

•Terrathus♂
    •Grass/Poison
    •Lv. 5
    •Tackle, Growl

And of course, Samuel picks Charmander the lil' rat, and challenges Raphael to a battle, where he wipes the floor with poor Terrathus and then walks out the door like the brat he is. Anyway, it's time to leave town after Raphael baws at his mom about his loss and heals up poor Bulbasaur.

Raphael makes it to Viridian City and tries to go into the Pokemart to do the sensible thing and buy some stuff, only he has a package to deliver! He goes back, trades the custom Pokeball for a Pokedex, and is on his merry way after getting the Town Map...

Chapter II: Makin' a Team
    Luckily for Raphael, he has a good number of Pokemon with a poison type to their name to make for his team early on. On route 22, he gains both the male and female Nidorans:

•Freya♀
    •Poison
    •Lv. 3
    •Tackle, Growl

•Thor♂
    •Poison
    •Lv. 3
    •Tackle, Leer

And thus the first wave of grinding begins....

Once everyone's at level 6, Raphael and company head into the weely scawy Viridian Forest to get a Weedle. This task is accomplished after beating up Pikachu, Caterpie, and Metapod:

•Beedra
    •Bug/Poison
    •Lv. 3
    •Poison Sting, String Shot
    And further into the woods they go, beating up Bug Catchers and slowly making it to Pewter City...

Chapter III: HOORAY WE'RE HERE-- no, wait, more Level Grinding....
    And the team reaches Pewter, where Brock awaits... only for Raphael to remember that his team is under leveled and needs to be grinded up to level 13. The Narrator (aka the player, DGexe) insists Terrathus learns Vine Whip before whipping Brock's team into shape...
    And thus, the grinding begins, until this end result is had:

•Beedra
    •Bug/Poison
    •Lv. 13
    •Poison Sting, String Shot, Fury Attack

•Freya♀
    •Poison
    •Lv. 13
    •Tackle, Growl, Scratch

•Thor♂
    •Poison
    •Lv. 13
    •Tackle, Leer, Horn Attack

•Terrathus♂
    •Grass/Poison
    •Lv. 13
    •Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

And now I'm about to go pwn some Rock Types. HOOHAH!

PlatniumPiano

Years
  • ^ Entertaining update haha. And sceptile, good luck lol I added you.

BTW if anyone cares I now have six badges haha :P

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Figure its about time for another update. Should only take like 2 more after this one.

Anyways, Kipper and I noticed a few shady characters lurking in Mt. Moon. Upon further investigation, we found they were actually Team Rocket, a band of thieves that like to steal pokemon and experiment on them! Oh no!!! Kipper and I would not stand for this, so we whipped them into shape. We came across some nerd who found 2 rare fossils. He made me battle him, even though I didn't want to. Then, when I beat him, he up and gave me a fossil!!! I didn't really want it, but I picked up the Dome Fossil for a souvenir. Kipper and I exited into beautiful Cerulean City. Kipper liked it here, and we played with the numerous water Pokemon. We even found some trainer with a Slowbro that wouldn't obey her!!! What a silly trainer. Anyways, while exploring, we ran across James, who wanted to battle. He had a couple more pokemon than last time (one of which was a useless Abra that only knew Teleport) but in the end, Kipper would be triumphant. James told me of some guy named Bill, who I should go and visit. After a lot of trainer battles, I finally found Bill, who somehow got merged with a pokemon in some freak science accident. For helping him out, I got a pass to the SS Anne! After adding 4 pages to my Pokedex, I went back to Cerulean. I saw another rocket, so i whooped him. He gave me a TM that he stole. I taught it to Kipper so that he can dig holes in the ground. To make a long story short(er), Misty was easy. Then, after getting cut and acquiring a Farfetch'd from some trainer that wanted to trade, I beat Lt. Surge too! Kipper evolved into a big, strong Blastoise at the end of this battle. I went through the rock tunnel and entered some town with a bunch of dead pokemon in it, so I quickly hopped over to Celadon City to do some shopping.

My Team:

Kipper: Lv. 42

Dig
    Mega Punch
    Bubble
    Water Gun

Dux: Lv. 12

Fly
    Sand Attack
    Leer
    Cut

Dang, another update so quickly!

Kipper and I decided to skip the Celadon Gym for now. We bought some girl some water, and she gave us Ice Beam. We bought one for the thirsty security guard too. Also, we bought a couple of water stones, because someone in our party is going to need them, right? Kipper swept through the entire rocket game corner by himself, and I got the Silph Scope. Dux then flew me to Lavendar Town to go see what's with the tower. After running away from numerous Gastlys, we came across a poor marowak. One water gun was enough to finish the job. Then we rescued Mr. Fuji!!! He gave us a pokeflute, and access to Silph Co. We opted to do the latter first. Pretty soon we saw James again, and he wanted another battle. Kipper survived by the skin of his teeth, taking 2 razor leaves from Venusaur. Then I got a Lapras from some nice dude. I named it Storm and immediately taught it Thunderbolt from the Vermillion Gym. After disposing of Boss Giovanni once more, I awoke a Snorlax and made him retreat to the mountains. Then we flew down cycling road and into Fuchsia. After a quick stop at the Safari Zone, I taught Kipper Surf, and Storm learned Surf and Strength. I then got a Good Rod and flew to Viridian City to catch a Poliwag, which was named Tsunami. He immediately learned Surf too. Going back to Fuchsia, my developing team of water Pokemon beat down Koga and his ninja minions. I then fought my way up to get a Super Rod. Going back to Fuchsia once more, I caught a Staryu named Deluge. Now that I could use Surf, I flew to Pallet Town and went down to Cinnibar Island, into the Laboratory, and out with a Kabuto named Rapids. I used more TM/HMs and decided to call it a day.

My Team:

Kipper: Lv. 52

Dig
    Mega Punch
    Surf
    Water Gun

Dux: Lv. 14

Fly
    Sand Attack
    Leer
    Cut

Deluge: Lv. 15

Tackle
    Surf
    Psychic
    Ice Beam

Storm: Lv. 16

Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Strength
    Sing

Rapids: Lv. 30

Surf
    Scratch
    Harden

Tsunami: Lv. 10

Surf
    Body Slam
    Bubble

Last edited:

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    brock was actually a lot harder than i expected :\

i chose squirtle to begin with but i soon caught a rattata which i promptly named "plague". plague got ground. quite high actually. i got him/her...it...to level 15 before fighting my rival for the second time. i sped through viridian forest, fighting the trainers along the way. i got out and went to the gym to face the trainer in brock's gym. i wasn't satisfied with plague's performance, so i forced to evolve. even then, brock took a few more hits than i wanted him to. afterward, i went to catch a jigglypuff named "zeus!" and a clefairy named "thor!", though neither of them are worthy of their names. when i made it out of mt. moon, i beat my rival again with zeus! alone. and then i got an s.s. ticket. yay

team:

thor!/Clefairy lvl 26
    -Pound
    -Minimize
    -Sing
    -Doubleslap

zeus!/Jigglypuff lvl 24
    -Pound
    -Sing
    -Doubleslap
    -Water Gun

plague/Raticate lvl 22
    -Quick Attack
    -Tail Whip
    -Tackle
    -Hyper Fang

PlatniumPiano

Years
  • @myrrhman: Ahh! Lol I can't tell how many badges you have. Did you skip Erika or not? But I'm going to presume since you made it to Cinnabar that you have 6... amiright?

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • ANOTHER SEGMENT!

Chapter IV: Vs Brock and other things

With the above team, Raphael goes to face Brock... and he ends up kicking his Geodude and Onix after lots of Poison Stings and a well placed Vine Whip.

Terrathus gains a level, the Boulder Badge is obtained, and Brock gives away TM34! Hoorah! Raphael is dragged down to Route 22 to face... Samuel! ... Oh, wait... he isn't here. Oops. Narrator's memory of Blue is shoddy.... That means it's off to Mt. Moon, beating up the trainers along the way!

In Mt. Moon, the team grows as Raphael's & Co. keep pwning the trainers, Hikers, and Team Rocket members inside (actually, we're nearly creamed by Team Rocket and that last Super Nerd):

Vladimir♂
    •Poison/Flying
    •Lv. 8
    •Leech Life

And we get one(1) Helix Fossil before exiting onto the next route, and Cruele-- I mean, Cerulean City....

IN CERULEAN CITY, leveling up is to be had. Everyone gets to level 16, three of Raphael's team evolves, and Zubat finally learns a decent move: Bite. The compay goes to take on Samuel up at Nugget Bridge... and wins. After beating up the trainers there (and finding out the horror of Confusion on Poison-types), Raphael helps Bill out, gets a ticket to the fancy-do party in Vermillion, and then goes back to Cerulean to pwn Misty.

Misty is soon pwned like Brock was, and after that Raphael helps out the family who's TM Dig was stolen by Team Rocket. :3

Chapter V: To Vermillion & the SS Anne

So Raphael and Co. head south to the port town of Vermillion, nearly being beaten up along the way by a Butterfree (more Confusion horror). They board the SS Anne, where there's a bunch of going back and forth between the Pokemon Center and the ship due to the momentary FAIL of Raph's team (a shame, really). While there, they meet up with Samuel and beat him up yet again before obtaining Cut...
    And this is the final team, for now:

Vladimir♂
    •Poison/Flying
    •Lv. 21
    •Leech Life, Bite, Confuse Ray, Supersonic

Terrathus♂
    •Grass/Poison
    •Lv. 21
    •Vine Whip, Leech Seed, Tackle, Growl

Thor♂
    •Poison
    •Lv. 21
    •Horn Attack, Tackle, Poison Sting, Leer

Beedra♂
    •Bug/Poison
    •Lv. 21
    •Fury Attack, Twinneedle, Poison Sting, Cut

Freya♀
    •Poison
    •Lv. 21
    •Scratch, Tackle, Poison Sting, Growl

There are plans to beat up Lt. Surge and the trainers on Route 11 next time.

Esp1222

Psychic Lover
    Years
  • Name: Scepy
    Journey Journel
    Feb. 26________________________________________________________
    I got a Squirtle today. I wanted a bug type, but oh well. I went to Viridian and decided to get some pokeballs. When I arrived, the cashier asked if I knew Oak. I told him I did so he handed me a package. I took it back to the lab and got a Pokedex! I made my way north until I got to the forest, where I found a Weedle. After training him for a while, he evolved into a Beedrill. I'm on the search for a Caterpie, even though I captured a Metapod. Caterpie will at least know an offensive move. That's all for today. I hope to have beaten Brock by tomorrow.
    =======================================================

Beedrill
    Lv.10
    Poison Sting
    String Shot

Badges:

PlatniumPiano

Years
  • Nice updates y'all :cool:

And I have an update of my own haha. I did a lot of grinding, and am about ready to head off to Cinnabar via Pallet Town. I hope that Blaine isn't too hard for my oh so weak water types.. :'(
    JK.

The new team:

Li/Poliwrath, Level 41:
    - Body Slam
    - Hypnosis
    - Surf
    - Amnesia

Sage/Slowbro, Level 41:
    - Confusion
    - Headbutt
    - Disable
    - Surf

Jormungand/Gyarados, Level 43:
    - Hydro Pump
    - Dragon Rage
    - Bite
    - Surf

Titan/Lapras, Level 43:
    - Surf
    - Body Slam
    - Sing
    - Ice Beam

Dart/Blastoise, Level 44:
    - Surf
    - Withdraw
    - Skull Bash
    - Bite

Angler/Kingler, Level 45:
    - Stomp
    - Crabhammer
    - Vicegrip
    - Guillotine

Pretty good team no? Well I think so haha...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back