• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Monotype Challenge-- Red/Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • MOAR UPDATE!

Anyways
    Basically ive done alot. Beat TR in Game Corner and Tower.
    Beat every possible trainer on the bike route making a huge U up to snorlax 2
    Got in order
    Thunder Badge
    Soul? Bade
    then Rainbow Badge
    In the ghost Tower I caught a Cubone and grinded it to 35-ish there
    In Safari Zone I caught a Rhydon and I grinded it to 42 with all those trainers

Team:
    Rhydon/43/Horn Attack/Stomp/Surf/Fury Attack
    Nidoking/42/Horn Attack/Thrash/Hyperbeam/Surf
    Marowak/40/Boneclub/Growl/Leer/Focus Energy
    Nidoqueen/41/BodySlam/Scratch/Surf/Poisonsting
    Dugtrio/40/Slash/Scratch/Dig/Toxic
    Charmander (Cut slave)

Andrew1989

neet
    Years
  • Seeing as I've got nothing else to do to waste my free-time on, do you mind putting me down for the challange?

I'll be using my Pokémon Blue and the type I'd like to use for this challange is Fire type please :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I'm playin' yellow at the moment but I'm after gettin' red/blue/gold/silver/crystal again so when I get them I'm definitely gonna do this with bug type on one and maybe water on another ;o

Years
  • Update: Beat Blaine's Gym
    Surprised how much of an MVP Marowak is proving to be.
    Nidoqueen is proving to be a weak link
    Rhydon can One-Hit almost anything with double-edge
    Nidoking hasnt been used since I got Cubone/Marowak
    Dugtrio is niceeeee

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'll give this a try. Sign me up for Fire on Red, please.

I've never tried one of these challenges before, so we'll see how it goes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    First update:

Challenge begun at 2:35 PM on Wednesday, 4/7/10

Player: Red
    Rival: Blue

Chose Charmander as starter—nicknamed "FIREBALL"

2:54: Beat Brock

Team:

Charmeleon lvl. 17
    -Ember
    -Leer
    -Growl
    -Scratch

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    More updates:

Beat Misty

Charmeleon lvl. 30
    Ember, Leer, Rage, Scratch

3:38: Beat Lt. Surge

Charizard lvl. 38
    Ember, Slash, Dig, Scratch

Farfetch'd lvl. 8
    Cut, etc.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • Hooray for Monotype challenges! I started one when I first joined PC but never finished it, so I'll try again. Sign me up for Normal type! I'll be playing on Blue version by the way.

Update so far:

Name: Justin
    Rival: BLUE (Call me old-fashioned. What-evs.)

Selected Squirtle as first Pokémon. BLUE picked Bulbasaur, of course.
    Put the pwnage on BLUE.
    Made the trip to Viridian and received Oak's Parcel. Back to Pallet Town now.
    Got Pokédex. Back to Viridian to buy some Poké Balls, then back to Route 1 to catch RATTATA (nickname will come later) and grind him all the way to level 9.
    Through Viridian Forest. Rattata beat that level 9 Weedle with one Quick Attack.
    Now I'm going to do some level grinding and try to beat Brock without help from Squirtle. Wish me luck!

Update again:
    Brock's Geodude and Onix couldn't beat my over-leveled Rattata and his Tail Whip/Hyper Fang combo. On to Mt. Moon!
    Current Team:
    Monotype Challenge-- Red/Blue

Moves: Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Tail Whip, Tackle

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Another update:

I finally got another fire type! I'd forgotten how few fire types there were in this game. Charizard was fine on its own, though.

I could catch Growlithe now, but I'm sick of it using Roar on me, so I think I might catch one later.

4:13PM: Beat Erika

Charizard lvl. 46
    Flamethrower, Slash, Dig, Scratch

Flareon lvl. 29
    Tackle, Sand Attack, Quick Attack

Farfetch'd lvl. 8
    Cut, etc.

More updates:

4:45PM: Beat Sabrina

Charizard lvl. 53
    Flamethrower, Slash, Dig, Scratch

Flareon lvl. 36
    Ember, Quick Attack, Tackle, Sand Attack

Growlithe lvl. 17
    Bite, Roar

Lapras lvl. 15 (HM slave)

Farfetch'd lvl. 8 (Cut) (HM slave)

5:00PM

Beat Koga

Charizard lvl. 58
    Flamethrower, Slash, Dig, Fire Spin

Flareon lvl. 36
    Ember, Quick Attack, Tackle, Toxic

Growlithe lvl. 20
    Bite, Ember, Roar

Lapras lvl. 15: Surf, Strength
    Farfetch'd lvl. 8: Cut, Fly

5:13PM: Beat Blaine

Charizard lvl. 61

Flareon lvl. 36

Growlithe lvl. 26
    Bite, Roar, Ember, Leer

5:19PM: Beat Giovanni

Charizard lvl. 63

Flareon lvl. 36

Growlithe lvl. 26
    Bite, Roar, Ember, Leer

I feel like this is starting to turn into a semi-solo run, but perhaps I'll train up the rest of my crew before the E4.

Last edited:

i stoped playing after crystal

omg i put something origional!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2011
    is it to late for me to join? i was also wondering if i wanted to use psychic poke'mon what would i do, there arent any of them for a while...

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Edit: Ignore this segment. I accidently used Moltres (I forgot it was legendary for some reason, probably because it has such awful starting moves), so I decided to back up and redo the last segment. The new part (without Moltres) is below.

Well, I just finished beating the Elite Four with my fire types. I didn't bother training many of them before beating the Elite Four, but to be honest, the E4 was something of a joke anyway.

Completed at: 5:50PM

Events between final badge and the Elite Four:
    -Since Moltres is a fire type, I decided to catch it with my Master Ball
    -Got very frustrated trying to put the boulders onto the switches in Victory Road. I guess that's what I get for trying to speed up the emulator. Oh well, I got through it eventually.

E4 Rundown:

Lorelei:
    -Charizard took care of most of the Pokemon, except for the last one. Poor Charizard fainted near the end, so my trusty new Moltres had to finish off the battle.

Bruno:
    -Charizard again dominated. No major problems.

Agatha:
    -Charizard again dominated. Confusion struck me at one point, which was annoying, but fortunately, I had pretty good luck and made it through the battle without taking much damage from my own attacks (I was too lazy to bother switching).

Lance:
    -Charizard got knocked out at one point, so Flareon stepped in for a moment. It managed to use Toxic against Lance's Dragonite before being replaced by Charizard again.

Blue (rival):
    -Charizard took care of most of his Pokemon with a combination of Dig, Flamethrower, and Slash. Moltres stepped in to finish off his Blastoise with a movement-inhibiting Fire Spin.

And then, I registered my Pokemon in the Hall of Fame!

Final team:

Charizard lvl. 69

Flareon lvl. 38

Growlithe lvl. 26
    Bite, Roar, Ember, Leer

Moltres lvl. 50
    Peck, Fire Spin

Last edited:

PokemonRockstar

old skool
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 19, 2012
    Well, I just finished beating the Elite Four with my fire types. I didn't bother training many of them before beating the Elite Four, but to be honest, the E4 was something of a joke anyway.

Completed at: 5:50PM

Events between final badge and the Elite Four:
    -Since Moltres is a fire type, I decided to catch it with my Master Ball
    -Got very frustrated trying to put the boulders onto the switches in Victory Road. I guess that's what I get for trying to speed up the emulator. Oh well, I got through it eventually.

E4 Rundown:

Lorelei:
    -Charizard took care of most of the Pokemon, except for the last one. Poor Charizard fainted near the end, so my trusty new Moltres had to finish off the battle.

Bruno:
    -Charizard again dominated. No major problems.

Agatha:
    -Charizard again dominated. Confusion struck me at one point, which was annoying, but fortunately, I had pretty good luck and made it through the battle without taking much damage from my own attacks (I was too lazy to bother switching).

Lance:
    -Charizard got knocked out at one point, so Flareon stepped in for a moment. It managed to use Toxic against Lance's Dragonite before being replaced by Charizard again.

Blue (rival):
    -Charizard took care of most of his Pokemon with a combination of Dig, Flamethrower, and Slash. Moltres stepped in to finish off his Blastoise with a movement-inhibiting Fire Spin.

And then, I registered my Pokemon in the Hall of Fame!

Final team:

Charizard lvl. 69

Flareon lvl. 38

Growlithe lvl. 26
    Bite, Roar, Ember, Leer

Moltres lvl. 50
    Peck, Fire Spin

Went agaist the rules FYI

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • Time for another update!

-After fighting through the tight assembly of young Trainers at the beginning of Route 3, I made my way into the grass and caught myself a Spearow. His nickname is Ren.
    -Went into Mt. Moon and immediately encountered a Paras, captured it for future use as an HM slave. Fought a bunch of Trainers in Mt. Moon and eventually made it to Cerulean.
    -Easily beat Rival BLUE with the assistance of my newly acquired teammate (and of course some help from Rattata as well).
    -Next I fought through Nugget Bridge, and in the process, both Rattata and Ren evolved upon reaching level 20.
    -Got to Bill's house, changed him back, got S.S. Ticket. Back to Cerulean, and then one more stop before taking on Misty.
    -South of Cerulean City, went in the grass near the Daycare and caught a Meowth (named Pinball). Now, it's time for Misty.
    -Misty's underlings were a piece of cake, and Pinball took care of them easily.
    -Misty's Staryu went down after some nasty Bites from Pinball, and Ren took on Starmie.
    -Taught Pinball Bubblebeam, and now I'm taking a break for a while.

Current team:

Moves: Quick Attack, Hyper Fang, Tail Whip, Tackle

Moves: Bite, Pay Day, Scratch, Bubblebeam

Moves: Peck, Fury Attack, Leer, Growl

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Whoops, forgot about the no legends rule as I got caught up in the end of the game. I'll redo the last segment without the Moltres. Updates coming shortly.

Alright, all done now. No more Moltres!

Battle details:

Lorelei:
    -Charizard dominated. I was a bit worried after a Hydro Pump from Lapras, but fortunately, I made it through.

Bruno:
    -Charizard dominated. No major problems.

Agatha:
    -Charizard dominated. No problems with Confuse Ray (Agatha kept randomly switching her Pokemon, though).

Lance:
    -Growlithe had to serve as a buffer after Gyarados's critical hit Hydro Pump killed poor Charizard. The rest of the battle went smoothly.

Blue:
    -No hitches. I was pretty much out of PP for both Flamethrower and Slash by the time I got to his Blastoise, which wasn't too much fun, but fortunately, a critical hit from Dig finished off the battle.

Charizard gained a lot of experience this time around, and grew several levels. Growlithe and Flareon failed to grow any levels, though.

Final team:

Charizard lvl. 71

Growlithe lvl. 26
    Bite, Roar, Ember, Leer

Flareon lvl. 38
    Quick Attack, Ember, Toxic, Tackle

Lapras lvl. 15: Surf and Strength slave
    Farfetch'd lvl. 8: Fly and Cut slave

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.