• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Okay I now have 14 badges... didn't write down what I did step by step but here are some highlights:

- Beat pokemon league with Magmar and Typhlosion
    - Bred a ponyta only to decide not to use him :(
    - Caught Houndour
    - Caught Ho-Oh

Current Pokemon:

{Houndoom} Flare lvl 45 (EXP SHARE)
    Faint Attack
    Ember
    Bite
    Flamethrower

{Typhlosion} Torch lvl 56 (Charcoal)
    Ember
    Strength
    Flame Wheel
    Earthquake

{Magmar} Furnace lvl 56 (Amulet Coin)
    Flamethrower
    Thunder Punch
    Physic
    Fire Punch

{Vulpix} Coal lvl 14 (Dragon Fang)
    Ember
    Roar
    Quick Attack
    Tail Whip

{Ho-Oh!} Candle lvl 70 (Sacred Ash)
    Recover
    Fire Blast
    Fly
    Swift

{Lanturn} Lanturn lvl 12 (Nevermeltice)
    Waterfall
    Whirlpool
    Surf
    Flash

Just caught Ho-Oh!, so next step is to go back and finish off the pokemon gyms then beat red.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah I just caught him for FLY, I'm sure I can use him as an HM slave? If not then I'll go catch a pidgey or something as its a real pain in the ass.

Oh and as another note, I want to do Rock next, so I was wondering if the pokemon that hatch from fossils are legendarys.

hack1

Dragon Green
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2015
    Yeah I just caught him for FLY, I'm sure I can use him as an HM slave? If not then I'll go catch a pidgey or something as its a real pain in the ass.

Oh and as another note, I want to do Rock next, so I was wondering if the pokemon that hatch from fossils are legendarys.

No, they are just normal Pokemon.
    I'm going to do this on Flying, but I need to finish R/S/E Monotype first.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • You can use Ho-oh for a HM Slave. Also, Hack is right, the legendaries are
    Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Groudon, Kyogre, Deoxys, Jirachi, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Regigigas, Cresselia, Mesprit, Uxie, Azelf, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus, Manaphy, Phione (i think).

And now for an update!

Now that I had a Gengar, I bought Ice, Thunder, and Fire Punch from the Dept. Store in Goldenrod. Whitney was easy as balls. Both of her Pokemon took two Thunderpunches.
    I then started trying to get my second Gengar. This proved much harder than the first, as once again, I was limited to Lick as my only damaging move, and these Pokemon were stronger. I decided to enter the Ecruteak Gym after dispatching Sudowoodo. This way, I could switch out and kill them with Alpha.
    Finally evolved in the Burned tower against ???
    Went back and Defeated Morty. Got Shadow Ball. Now we're talking.

Important Team:
    Alpha the level 31 Gengar
    Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Lick

Omega the level 27 Gengar
    Shadow Ball, Rock Smash, Hypnosis, Curse

Not important team:
    Totodile (Cut, Surf), Hoot-Hoot (Flash)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Final Update

I beat Blaine, then went and crushed Blue. Finally Mt. Silver was open! Then I went and caught 2 slugma's and bred them, and got my baby slugma. After doing that, I decided I wanted Ninetales so I wasted a bunch of time and effort obtaining a fire stone from the guy who lives in Bill's Kanto house.

Then i spent about 3 hours training my pokemon and came up with this team:

{Typhlosion} Torch Lvl 66 /w Charcoal
    Flamethrower
    Strength
    Flame Wheel
    Earthquake

{Magcargo} Magma lvl 48 /w Charcoal
    Smog
    Ember
    Roch Throw
    Flamethrower

{Magmar} Furnace lvl 67 /w Magnet
    Flamethrower
    Thunderpunch
    Psychic
    Fire Punch

{Houndoom} Flare lvl 60 /w Charcoal
    Faint Attack
    Sludge Bomb
    Crunch
    Flamethrower

{Ninetales} Coal lvl 31 /w --
    Ember
    Confuse Ray
    Quick Attack
    Flamethrower

{Lanturn} Lanturn lvl 12 /w Nevermeltice
    Flash
    Surf
    Waterfall
    Whirlpool

Battle Recap /w Red

Torch wipes out Pikachu with one earthquake
    Flare wipes out Espeon with one crunch (critical hit)
    Furnace fights Blastoise and faints. Coal is sacraficed to revive him and he finishes Blastoise off.
    Torch, Flare and Magma all go down fighting Snorlax. Finally after wasting all of his PP and many hyper and full restores, Furnace is able to take him out.
    Furnace takes out Charizard with 3 thunderpunches (I also use max elixer)
    Furnace takes out Venasaur with 2 flamethrowers.

PHP:
    i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/TWPiaf/New%20Quickbar/PkmSilverafterWinMonoFire2.png
    ^^ Link to picture of me beating red. I can't post images yet so that's the best I can do.

----

Now I'm either going to do Psychic on Gold or Poison on Silver.

**EDIT**

I've decided to try Poison, but I don't know how to evolve haunter since im using the KiGB emulator, so I was wondering if I could simply either a) gameshark a lvl 25 gengar when haunter hits lvl 25 or b) simply change haunter into a genger with gameshark. Or I guess I could leave him as a haunter.

And I'll be updating this one a lot better then I did for my fire type challenge.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Congratulations on joining the Champions! Also, if I were you, I would download DualGBA or something like that. It's the only way I know of trading.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    I have a mac though, so I can only use KiGB for these games, and what am I allowed to do about the Gengar problem?

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Ah, that is a problem. Yeah, get a Haunter to level 25 and then hack in a Gengar. You can teach it the same moves with hacking too.

AnjinMiura_PL

Challenger Extraordinaire (?)
    Years
  • myrrhman said:
    if I were you, I would download DualGBA

TGBDual :) Good emulator to make trades in 1st and 2nd gen games ;)
    But now to action, first update:

Spoiler:

EDIT:
    Update number two ;)

Spoiler:

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Finished up the Johto Gyms. Nothing too hard, because I don't remember any of them from yesterday. On to the elite four.

Spoiler:

Figured that the hard part was done, so I might as well finish up.

Rescued the little girl and arrived in Vermilion.
    Went to Saffron and got Psychic.
    Went to Celadon, beat Erika, and got Giga Drain (which completed my final moveset).
    Went to the Power Plant, to Cerulean, to Nugget Bridge, to Cerulean, and back to Power Plant to solve their crisis.
    Beat Misty with either Thunderpunch or Giga Drain.
    Beat Lt. Surge with lots of Fire Punches (hardest battle so far).
    Sabrina was Shadow Ball bait.
    Realized I didn't have the Radio Card or Bike, so I helped the Copycat in order to get back easily via train.
    Got the Expansion Card and took out Snorlax.
    Beat Brock with 5 Quad Super Effective Miracle Seed Powered Giga Drains
    Blaine took 2 hits for all of his Pokemon, and even though he hit me with Flamethrower and Sunny Day powered Fire Blast, I still didn't lose a Pokemon.
    Blue would have forced me to heal, but Arcanine, like Houndoom, used Roar almost exclusively.
    Onward to Red!

Ok. Vs. Red

Pikachu was easy enough, lowered my attack while I killed it.
    Snorlax... rest, rest, rest, rest, rest, rest, rest... Had to just switch back and forth until he ran out of them. I am now dangerously low on attacks for only having killed his second Pokemon.
    Espeon outsped the Gengar with Shadow Ball, but not the other one. I proceeded to Fire Punch, faint, send out slave and revive, repeat, until I killed it.
    Venusaur: I didn't know what to expect, so I healed the dead Gengar. It charged up a Solar Beam. I healed, and Solar Beam crit'd and almost one hit me. I healed it off again while Venusaur charged. Fire Punch, Solar beam, heal while Venusaur used Sunny Day, and then Fire Punch killed it.
    Charizard: I hit him with a TPunch, but he killed Alpha. Omega put him to sleep, revived Alpha, and managed to kill him with Shadow Ball.
    Blastoise: Alpha hit him with TPunch that Paralyzed, but he killed me with Surf. I then revive switched back and forth at least 10 times before he was fully paralyzed. Then one more sacrificial TPunch, and finish it off with Shadow Ball. GG Red.

Last edited:

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
  • Alright, so I will begin this challenge now using the electric type on Pokemon Crystal.

Btw, if I am not able in any way to obtain a thunderstone for my eevee, can I still use it against the Elite 4 despite it not being an electric type. I can wait to train it after the Elite 4 and get the stone from that guy in Cerulean, however, this would be much easier.

Update #1:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Yeah, you can go ahead and train your Eevee. I just don't want people doing a Flying Monotype Challenge beating Red with like a Magikarp because a) that makes no sense and you cheated, and b) their team wasn't eventually all flying types.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Posts merged to prevent double posting.

Update #1 (june 14th 6:30pm est)
    Spoiler:

Update #2 (june 15th 11:45pm est)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, I've gone through the Ilex forest and beaten Whitney.

Team is:

Paras lvl 17
    Oddish lvl 18
    Bayleef lvl 23
    Weepinbell lvl 22
    Hmslave Oddish, Cut

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
  • I'm sorry. I thought that I could get this done before going away for the summer, but I was only able to get to the Mahogany Gym, so I will be forced to drop out of this one at least for the next two months.

AnjinMiura_PL

Challenger Extraordinaire (?)
    Years
  • Third update ;)

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Final Update

Caught Lugia as a HM slave. Also converted weepinbel to an HM slave. After that I kind of just tore through everything until I got to red... he spanked me first try so I grinded, then revive *****d and beat him.

Pikachu - fell to an Earthquake
    Espeon - tanked Todd, Carson and Desmond. Nathan managed to kill him with a surf as he survived the physic.
    Snorlax - used Weepinbell to revive Desmond. Then revived and healed everybody as he couldn't touch me. He basically just used rest over and over, so what I did was when he woke up, I switched Carson in on that turn because he would go back to sleep. Then I killed him with a critical hit double kick.
    Blastoise - Desmond tried to kill him but died, Nathan finished him off.
    Venesaur - Todd OHKO him with a Wing Attack
    Charizard - Fell to Nathan.

And thats it! Second GSC Mono challenge complete.

Pictures:
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge

Monotype Challenge

^^ forgot to SS the win until after I won :S

Sacr3d Fire

Rock the house with fire
    Years
  • Hey guys sorry since no update.I had my exams session so i had to study.

Badge:8

~Update~
    -Beat the Radio tower and get the rainbow wing.
    -Went to the ice path.
    -Then i went to the dragon gym.Dragon Pokemon=Thunderwave/dragon rage.After beating Clair and found the dragon fang i earned:
    Monotype Challenge

So right im raising my team and making my way to the elite 4.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back