• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype ftw

Spiritombreeder

lol, SB
    Years
    This is a monotype team designed for a tournament one of my friends made for my home site. I can't post it there, because obviously all the participants are from there, so I thought I'd post it here. I'm supposed to be more active here anyway, even if none of you know me D:

The premise is bug, I got to the signups early and picked it while skimming that all of the bug types quickly, and I wasn't disappointed when I went to build a team. You'll notice a tyranitar here, one out of the six pokemon can be any type you wish.

At a glance...
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw

Monotype ftw
    @ Lum Berry
    Adamant - Wonder Guard
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Sneak
    - X-Scissor
    - Baton Pass

...Lead Shedinja? I must be crazy, right? Well I'm not. As this is built for a monotype team (but will be tested under standard...), the sheer shock factor of Shedinja showing up as my lead will most likely force the switch, letting me in for a free swords dance. Depending on what switches in, I'll Baton Pass out of there, or Shadow Sneak for some damage. Its weak to pursuit, but then again, it always is. I choose it as my lead simply because once Sandstorm is set up, it becomes useless. I feel it does best to do early, irreplacable damage to the enemy team. I am considering Ninjask over it, because it simply does the job better then having to rely on shock factor.

Ninjask goes here

Monotype ftw
    @ Life Orb
    Adamant - Technician
    6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 spe
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit Super Power
    - Roost
    - Swords Dance X-Scissor

A bit weak here, as I honestly don't know the set for Bullet Punch Scizor. Help here would really be appreciated. The idea is to recieve the Pass (With swords dance attached, of course) from Shedinja, or come in on a shadow ball/physical fighting move/physical rock move, and, well, rape. Pursuit as a just in case, though I'll probably have to replace it. Orb'd for the extra power, with Technician and max attack, this thing is a beast. Roost for when my health gets dangerously low, and Swords dance if I can, because +4 Priority Scizor is, well hell to the enemy.

Monotype ftw
    @ Choice Specs
    Modest - Speed Boost
    4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Bug Buzz
    - Air Slash
    - Hidden Power Ground
    - Hypnosis

Standard Specs Yanmega. I opt for HP Ground over Ice because of the damage Heatran can do to the team as a whole. Hypnosis is there for the extra support, taking something out for a few turns and allowing my Scizor, or even Shedinja to set up.

Monotype ftw
    @ Leftovers
    Impish - Sturdy
    252 HP / 162 Atk / 96 Def
    - Toxic Spikes Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Explosion

I wish Forretress had better recovery then just Rest, but it doesn't so it'll have to do without it. Toxic Spikes set up is guaranteed if I switch into a physical sweeper. Rapid spin, of course to eliminate the Stealth Rocks threats to Shedinja and Yanmega. Earthquake is there in place of Gyro Ball for the support, and that I already have a powerful steel attack waiting. Explosion, of course, to explode.

Monotype ftw
    @ Life Orb
    Brave - Sandstream
    252 Atk / 232 SpA / 24 Spe
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam

My backup. Heatran had this spot at one point, however lost it because simply put, I needed sandstorm. While it messes up Shedinja, by the time this is sent in Shedinja will already be dead, about to die to Rocks, or is useless. It provides incredible type coverage, bringing much needed fire and ice to the team, as well as putting a check to Gyarados with powerful Stone Edges. Crunch for the STAB, of course. The main purpose of him really is to back up Shuckle, giving it the SpD boost it needs to survive, and demolishing any enemy walls I encounter. Expert Belt is chosen because I can hit ten types with SE hits-that's ten tourney teams feeling wrath from T-tar.

Monotype ftw
    @ Leftovers
    Careful - Gluttony
    252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
    - Encore
    - Rest
    - Stealth Rock
    - Knock Off

Shuckle is the final mix to my defensive line, giving me a powerful mixed (though I choose to focus it on special) wall, serving as a status absorber, and setting up my rocks. While it normally won't come out till late game, where the sand is putting pressure on enemy teams, its has enough defense without it to switch into most physical sweepers and get the free rocks up. Rest of course to heal, and give me the status absorb portion of his duty, and Knock Off gives me the ability to take away an item from the enemy.

Overall, the design is built to start with the ever so useful surprise factor, allowing me to take away many of the enemy counters to my late game line quickly, while battering down enemy walls, allowing them less of a chance to stop my onslaught. In the end, I'll be able to stall with shuckle, using either PP stalling with rest (although I don't have Pressure), using the toxic spikes that Forretress hopefully should have up, in conjunction with Stealth Rock to wear down enemies before letting Tyranitar have a shot, or just straight sweep with a powerful +2, or even +4 if I can, Scizor.

Hope you enjoy, I appreciate any help given to me.
    I'll mark changes made to the team in red, next to the original sets.

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    This is a monotype team designed for a tournament one of my friends made for my home site. I can't post it there, because obviously all the participants are from there, so I thought I'd post it here. I'm supposed to be more active here anyway, even if none of you know me D:

The premise is bug, I got to the signups early and picked it while skimming that all of the bug types quickly, and I wasn't disappointed when I went to build a team. You'll notice a tyranitar here, one out of the six pokemon can be any type you wish.

At a glance...
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw
    Monotype ftw

Monotype ftw
    @ Lum Berry
    Adamant - Wonder Guard
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Sneak
    - X-Scissor
    - Baton Pass

...Lead Shedinja? I must be crazy, right? Well I'm not. As this is built for a monotype team (but will be tested under standard...), the sheer shock factor of Shedinja showing up as my lead will most likely force the switch, letting me in for a free swords dance. Depending on what switches in, I'll Baton Pass out of there, or Shadow Sneak for some damage. Its weak to pursuit, but then again, it always is. I choose it as my lead simply because once Sandstorm is set up, it becomes useless. I feel it does best to do early, irreplacable damage to the enemy team. I am considering Ninjask over it, because it simply does the job better then having to rely on shock factor.
    With all of the Scizors and Scarftrans running around these days, Shedinja is lolwut on this team. Ninjask does the job better because of speed Boost.

Monotype ftw
    @ Choice Band
    Adamant - Technician
    6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 spe
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit/Aerial Ace
    -Superpower
    - X-scissor

- Roost
    - Swords Dance

A bit weak here, as I honestly don't know the set for Bullet Punch Scizor. Help here would really be appreciated. The idea is to recieve the Pass (With swords dance attached, of course) from Shedinja, or come in on a shadow ball/physical fighting move/physical rock move, and, well, rape. Pursuit as a just in case, though I'll probably have to replace it. Orb'd for the extra power, with Technician and max attack, this thing is a beast. Roost for when my health gets dangerously low, and Swords dance if I can, because +4 Priority Scizor is, well hell to the enemy.
    I prefer CB Scizor for Bullet Punch. You can go wtih Pursuit or Aerial Ace, depending whether you want to hit Hera(who kills this) hard, or hit stuff on switches.

Monotype ftw
    @ Choice Specs
    Modest - Speed Boost
    - Bug Buzz
    - Air Slash
    - Hidden Power Ground
    - Hypnosis

Standard Specs Yanmega. I opt for HP Ground over Ice because of the damage Heatran can do to the team as a whole. Hypnosis is there for the extra support, taking something out for a few turns and allowing my Scizor, or even Shedinja to set up.
    Hypnosis isn't so great in plat due to 60% acc, maybe try using a focus sash, protect, and this as your lead?

Monotype ftw
    @ Leftovers
    Impish - Sturdy
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Explosion

I wish Forretress had better recovery then just Rest, but it doesn't so it'll have to do without it. Toxic Spikes set up is guaranteed if I switch into a physical sweeper. Rapid spin, of course to eliminate the Stealth Rocks threats to Shedinja and Yanmega. Earthquake is there in place of Gyro Ball for the support, and that I already have a powerful steel attack waiting. Explosion, of course, to explode.
    Meh, I would do either Stealth Rock or spikes though, again becuase of Scizor and Heatran.

Monotype ftw
    @ Life Orb
    Brave - Sandstream
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam

My backup. Heatran had this spot at one point, however lost it because simply put, I needed sandstorm. While it messes up Shedinja, by the time this is sent in Shedinja will already be dead, about to die to Rocks, or is useless. It provides incredible type coverage, bringing much needed fire and ice to the team, as well as putting a check to Gyarados with powerful Stone Edges. Crunch for the STAB, of course. The main purpose of him really is to back up Shuckle, giving it the SpD boost it needs to survive, and demolishing any enemy walls I encounter. Expert Belt is chosen because I can hit ten types with SE hits-that's ten tourney teams feeling wrath from T-tar.
    I guess so.
    Monotype ftw
    @ Leftovers
    Careful - Gluttony
    - Encore
    - Rest
    - Stealth Rock
    - Knock Off

Shuckle is the final mix to my defensive line, giving me a powerful mixed (though I choose to focus it on special) wall, serving as a status absorber, and setting up my rocks. While it normally won't come out till late game, where the sand is putting pressure on enemy teams, its has enough defense without it to switch into most physical sweepers and get the free rocks up. Rest of course to heal, and give me the status absorb portion of his duty, and Knock Off gives me the ability to take away an item from the enemy.

Overall, the design is built to start with the ever so useful surprise factor, allowing me to take away many of the enemy counters to my late game line quickly, while battering down enemy walls, allowing them less of a chance to stop my onslaught. In the end, I'll be able to stall with shuckle, using either PP stalling with rest (although I don't have Pressure), using the toxic spikes that Forretress hopefully should have up, in conjunction with Stealth Rock to wear down enemies before letting Tyranitar have a shot, or just straight sweep with a powerful +2, or even +4 if I can, Scizor.
    I hate Shuckles. Not in the using them way, but the fact that I always lose to them >=(. Good pick.

Hope you enjoy, I appreciate any help given to me.
    I'll mark changes made to the team in red, next to the original sets.

A bug monotype with no Heracross?!?!?! Wow. Since this team can't absorb status at all, I would put a RestTalk Hera in >>Shedinja. Also, this team is very Heatran weak. Since you already have Stone Edge for Gyara, I would bring in a DD Gyara/Kingdra to stop tran.

Spiritombreeder

lol, SB
    Years
    With all of the Scizors and Scarftrans running around these days, Shedinja is lolwut on this team. Ninjask does the job better because of speed Boost.
    I guess, but the only real recipient of the passes is Scizor, who won't really need the speed as much because of Bullet Punch. I will probably replace it with Ninjask, with some more coercion.

I prefer CB Scizor for Bullet Punch. You can go wtih Pursuit or Aerial Ace, depending whether you want to hit Hera(who kills this) hard, or hit stuff on switches.
    I used LO so that I can have the variety of moves, which sadly doesn't come with Band.

Hypnosis isn't so great in plat due to 60% acc, maybe try using a focus sash, protect, and this as your lead?
    Ugh, damn platinum. I forgot all about hte 60%..
    I prefer having this as non-lead though, because beside T-tar is the only special attacker here. Also, I like the BP lead more then scouting.

Meh, I would do either Stealth Rock or spikes though, again becuase of Scizor and Heatran.
    SR's on Shuckle though.

Thanks for the help though =]

I'll probably find room for RestTalk Hera, because I agree that I don't have a status absorber. I thought I put something in here for that, but guess not...

I can't switch anything for DDKingdra/Gyara though, sadly, because the only thing I can remove for one is T-tar, and I need the sandstorm support for Shuckle if I hope to live, at the cost of messing up Shedinja.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    Your logic works. Just change around the moves on Scizor a little bit, X-Scissor/BulletPunch/Roost/Superpower. Then, scarp dinja for Ninjask lead. Speed passes don't rlly matter to Scizor, but ninjask's speed can give it some help against Heatran and Scizor leads. That means you can cower behind s ub while you SD up, then pass off to Scizor, who proceeds to destroy.

I can see why you need SS support for Shuckle, as it helps stall out Cress, and boosts sp. def., which you put a fairly small amount of EVs in.

Toixc Spikes doesn't work so well anymore IMO. Simply because of Scizor and Heatran. They are literally on every team i meet, along with skymin.

Spiritombreeder

lol, SB
    Years
    Your logic works. Just change around the moves on Scizor a little bit, X-Scissor/BulletPunch/Roost/Superpower. Then, scarp dinja for Ninjask lead. Speed passes don't rlly matter to Scizor, but ninjask's speed can give it some help against Heatran and Scizor leads. That means you can cower behind s ub while you SD up, then pass off to Scizor, who proceeds to destroy.

I can see why you need SS support for Shuckle, as it helps stall out Cress, and boosts sp. def., which you put a fairly small amount of EVs in.

Toixc Spikes doesn't work so well anymore IMO. Simply because of Scizor and Heatran. They are literally on every team i meet, along with skymin.
    yeah, I'll change Scizor around I guess, and use Ninjask.

Ugh, Platinum really screws things up D;. Yeah, I guess I'll go with regular spikes on forry.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Monotype ftw
    @ Lum Berry
    Adamant - Wonder Guard
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Sneak
    - X-Scissor
    - Baton Pass

I say trash this for Choice Scarf Heracross and make Yanmega your lead. You have nothing that can absorb status, and Scizor is better off using the Choice Band set.
    Monotype ftw
    @ Choice Band
    Adamant - Technician
    6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 spe
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-Turn

CB Scizor hits stuffs better IMO. Even its counters think twice about switching into a Banded Bullet Punch, and even then, you're best off saving this until late-game, because, by that time, your opponent's counter (because they'll probably only have one due to monotype) will be dead.
    Monotype ftw
    @ Focus Sash / Wide Lens
    Modest - Speed Boost
    - Bug Buzz
    - Air Slash
    - Hidden Power Ground
    - Hypnosis / Protect

Specsmega doesn't function as a mid-to-late-game sweeper as entry hazards facefack it. Make this your lead, using either Hypnosis and Wide Lens or Protect and Focus Sash.
    Monotype ftw
    @ Leftovers
    Impish - Sturdy
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Explosion

Good choice. Contemplating a suicide setup with Focus Sash, because it will ensure one layer of spikes are setup before it dies to a Fire attack. Plus, it can just blow up at 1 HP, lol. Otherwise, I think Foretress is a welcome addition to the team. Absorbs T-Spikes along with Scizor, your Spinner, and a rather useful physical wall. Nice.
    Monotype ftw
    @ Life Orb
    Brave - Sandstream
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam

With Shedinja gone, you no longer need to worry about such menial things as Sandstorm damage to it. This works well on your team; Tyranitar seems to be a good choice for any monotype team, lol. :P
    Monotype ftw
    @ Leftovers
    Careful - Gluttony
    - Encore
    - Rest
    - Stealth Rock
    - Knock Off

UU isn't my thing, but to me, this does nothing but continuously Piss Knock Off your opponent. It can wall, sure, but honestly, it's also easy setup fodder for your opponent. I hope another reader takes this into account and can provide an effective rate on it, because honestly, I think you're better off tossing out something for Gyro Ball or Earthquake so you can at least do something. :S

You're status weak. Shuckle's too much setup fodder, as an SD/DD/NP user will take the opportunity to walk right in on your sleeping Shuckle and get a free turn to setup. Then you're screwed. Choice Scarf Heracross remedies this problem whilst providing a useful revenge killer.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
    Guts
    Adamant
    EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Close Combat
    -Megahorn
    -Night Slash/Pursuit
    -Stone Edge

Eh, that was just off the top of my head. If there's a problem with this CSCross set, feel free to let me know. :S

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2009
    ive heard bullet punch is epic on scizor. good choice

and personally i wouldnt use ttar and shedinja, but that doesnt mean it wont work. originality is shocking in battle

Back