• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] More characters for Name

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Is there anyway for me to hack the script for the handheld games to allow me to have more characters in my character name? Like the GBA games I can only have a name that's up to 7 characters long, but I'd like to call my character, 'Stephanie,' is there anyway to do that? Or maybe a gameshark code I can use that works on hacks that's for renaming my character? Or perhaps hacking tools to hack the script to allow more characters for my name?

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
  • Seconding this as I'd like the ability to make player names up to, say 10 characters in any future hacks I work on - not least because my own name is 9 characters ^^;

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Not trivially, because there's no unused space after the player's name, so you'd have to start repointing things. You could consider changing the player's name to have a different constant for number of letters in the name (which would involve changing a few other places too, but I don't know them offhand), recompiling, and turning that into an IPS that you then apply to your already-patched ROMs. If you're lucky that might not break anything. Although I imagine there are some text boxes that would overrun slightly because of the slight increase in number of characters.

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
  • Not trivially, because there's no unused space after the player's name, so you'd have to start repointing things. You could consider changing the player's name to have a different constant for number of letters in the name (which would involve changing a few other places too, but I don't know them offhand), recompiling, and turning that into an IPS that you then apply to your already-patched ROMs. If you're lucky that might not break anything. Although I imagine there are some text boxes that would overrun slightly because of the slight increase in number of characters.

I assume this might work fine if you're building a new hack from the ground up with that in mind, right?
    Less so if you're just patching onto an existing hack or the base game, haha.
    It seems a bit beyond my capability to do for now but it would be cool to see someone try it out and make it a ready-to-apply patch.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I assume this might work fine if you're building a new hack from the ground up with that in mind, right?
    Less so if you're just patching onto an existing hack or the base game, haha.
    It seems a bit beyond my capability to do for now but it would be cool to see someone try it out and make it a ready-to-apply patch.

Yeah, it's definitely more likely to work if you're doing it from the ground up. And guaranteed to work if you're working on a decomp hack instead of a binary hack (because the difficulty with binary is that you might accidentally move things around in a way that confuses tools; or—for what Konekodemon was asking—patches).

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
  • Yeah, it's definitely more likely to work if you're doing it from the ground up. And guaranteed to work if you're working on a decomp hack instead of a binary hack (because the difficulty with binary is that you might accidentally move things around in a way that confuses tools; or—for what Konekodemon was asking—patches).

Is there a masterpost or such anywhere that lists the differences between a decomp and binary & maybe even gives a guide on how to create a decomp hack?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Is there a masterpost or such anywhere that lists the differences between a decomp and binary & maybe even gives a guide on how to create a decomp hack?

It's not super detailed, but this pinned post in the Decomp & Disassembly section has some info. Basically, I'd pitch the difference as "you can change anything in a decomp". For getting started on compiling things, I've heard good things about Lunos' tutorial. There's also #rom-decomps on the PokéCommunity Discord server, which has quite a few helpful people that can give you pointers once you've got specific things you'd like to change (or if you get stuck following a tutorial).

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I can't use a Disassembly. Can never figure out how to put it together when it's apart into a Rom format.

Back