• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

More dual type moves

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    XY gave us Hawlucha with Flying Press, effectively both a Fighting and a Flying type move. While a novel move, do you think there will be any more dual type moves in the future?
    What about moves that are currently around that aren't but should become dual type?
    I'm thinking Kyurem's Freeze Shock and Ice Burn should be Ice/Electric and Ice/Fire respectively.

Anything else?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    Solarbeam - Grass/Fire
    Hurricane - Water/Flying
    Mudddy Water - Water/Ground
    Blizzard - Flying/Ice

Just a few ideas... :)

Years
  • I don't want to sound like an *******, but I actually really hate dual type moves.

My philosophy is that a move is one type and that's it. It has strengths and weaknesses, and that's the same for each move of its type. I don't want anymore of "kek it's a fighting type move but it's strong against grass". That just doesn't make sense. Anyway, bottom like is I don't like these.

Sorry for the rant/negativity.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I have to agree with DRCM on this. When a move has more than one type it sort of forms a whole new type. When there are even more of these moves in all sorts of combination, the original types somehow get lost.

As for answering the question if there will be more of these in the future:
    I don't think they're going to change the type of any of the older moves to a dual type. But I think there might emerge another dual typed move in a following generation.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • According to me these moves must have dual types:-

Fire Punch - Fire/fighting
    Ice Punch - Ice/Fighting
    Thunder punch - Electric/fighting
    X-Scissor - Bug/Steel

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't believe dual-type moves would do us any good in long run; it would cause confusion, rather. First thing is, if I'm not mistaken, dual moves have only one type listed in their info, and their secondary typing is kept hidden. Those who are new to Pokémon would likely not know about this unless they do some research (those who aren't new but are returning would possibly have to do the same as well).

Anyhow, if we were to have more dual-type moves in-game, I really like the ideas that Assassin and Charizard had posted; they do make a lot of sense! Alongside, if it were up to me, I'd also change Shadow Claw to ghost-steel, Bounce to ground-flying, and Steel Wing to steel-flying.

Of course, there are plenty of others, but these are the only ones I could think of at the moment, haha.

Years
  • Other than what's been mentioned already, Scald is a move that would make perfect sense as Water/Fire, since it's defined as "hot water".

But I wouldn't mind more moves like this, even if Flying Press can be annoying to use when you're faced with a Flying or Fighting resist.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I love the idea and theres a lot of moves that could be dual type but it would confuse me..... A lot i wouldnt know which moves to use and id just get confused and frustrated haha

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yeah, Scald being fire-water would definitely make sense. Few other moves that come to mind right now are X-Scissor, Leaf Blade, and Meteor Mash, which would respectively be bug-steel, grass-steel, and steel-fighting. If we think about it, there are hundreds of attacks out there that could suit dual-type category, really. Though, as I've said before, if we have more dual-type attacks, it might help causing confusion.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • To me, dual-type moves are upsetting some long since established unspoken rule in the series. Sure, they're a new feature in an ever expanding list of new and curious things/changes, but it's one development I can't seem to back.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

makes sense, if you think about it.. Then it defies "pokemon game logic" if you also think about it (anime-wise...so much episodes with brock, max and other know-it-alls defining the types of moves will turn out "dumb")

Well, in any case, I can't deny that I'm curious to see how it turns out. *stares at Tri-Attack*

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I guess it makes more sense to have dual-type moves but I don't really like the idea, personally. I don't really understand how to apply super effective damage or neutral or what when I use Flying Press; it's too complicated for me. I don't think Gamefreak should fix what isn't broken, Pokemon moves are fine with just being single-type.

Back