• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

More save slots or difficulty level

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2016
    Sometimes, when you play a game and beat it, you go back to play it again. Sometimes, you still want to retain your saved data but you also want a challenge. Therefore, would you guys like it if the game had more save slots like say 3 slots. Maybe you can have 1 slot as your main Pokemon competitive team/get all Pokemon slot, a second slot as your experimental slot where you experiment or whatever, and third slot where you can play the story mode over again.....just some examples.

On the other hand, when one beats the game and play it again, you feel like it's the same thing. However, would you guys have liked it if the game had more levels of difficulty? Maybe say....5 levels:

Easy
    - easier than what we play now

Normal
    - what we have now

Hard
    -Disable the function of switch after you beat a Pokemon.
    -Increase amount of Pokemon each enemy carries by 1.
    -Enemy Pokemon level increased by 15% compared to normal....aka, lv 78 Mega Gardevoir
    -EV/IV of all opponents increased by 50% exception of capped.
    -AI will prioritize moves with element that counters you. Will do things like switch out if confused or too much debuff.

Very Hard
    -All enemy carries 6 Pokemon
    -Enemy Pokemon level increased by 30% compared to normal....aka, lv 88 Mega Gardevoir
    -EV/IV of all enemy maxed.
    -Get rid of all trash skills enemy has, developers add in good strategy for each enemy that suits their fighting style.

Extremely Hard
    -Enemy Pokmeon level increased by 70%...aka, basically all elite for use 6 lv 100 Pokemon
    -Enemy(trainer only) get 10% bonus base stat compared to normal
    -Complete change of enemy all Pokemon's move list to deadliest moves
    -Enemy AI will calculate damage and kill potential of each move and make decisions on which moves to use or switch based off that....aka, they will use move A on you if it gets your hp exactly 0 but will use a different move if it will leave you with 1 hp.

Exciting huh? These changes will give hard core gamers really exciting challenge and gameplay even after they beat the game the 10th time while also having "easy mode" which allows super casual players to just storm through the game if they are only in it for the story. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'd love these things, especially as I like replaying old games (but also like keeping my save data). I just don't think it'll end up happening, as the idea behind only one save file is to promote people either buying other copies of the game, or using the wifi features to trade (or both).

Difficulty settings was seen in B2W2 but how they were implemented was silly. I don't want to beat the game first to play it on hard, or have a friend beat their version first (provided they have the right version to begin with!). Some of your proposed ideas with the harder ones I am not sure would work in practice (can't get too 'hard' before it just becomes a grindfest, and there's also the level curve to consider that would be affected by changing the opposition teams/levels).

Years
  • I would like those difficulty options from the beginning of the game as well. If I want a challenge I want it from the start not the second time through. Hopefully they do this in pokemon oras because as everyone else already stated pokemon x was easy too easy.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I would like to have the possibility to choose a difficulty level at the beginning, yes.

As for mutiple save files, be careful what you're asking for. I am definitely sure I don't want that. I've already explained the reasons before, I'll just quote my own post with a small correction:

There is a reason there's only one save file: the PC, more specifically the possibility to nickname every single Pokémon.

Correction from me in the present: actually, it was only problematic in the GB days, and was the actual reason Red and Green only had one file: saving 246 strings with 10 characters each was problematic back in the GB days ^^. But still, the data structure for each Pokémon has balooned in size since then, so even if we have more space for save files now, they are still a LOT of data to save, especially with 31 boxes now instead of 12.

It's a LOT of data to save. Plus, there's also all the usual data: flags that mean you've defeated trainers, picked up objects etc.

It doesn't matter if you get a physical copy or a digital one on your SD card: the save files are always capped at a certain size. With a physical copy, it's a hardware issue: you only have so much space for the save file (and no matter what Pokémon X/Y says, it saves to the cartridge, not the SD card) . With a digital download, there are two reasons: first, they clearly don't want people with digital copies to have a better version of the game than those who bought carts; second, there's a technical choice of allocating limited space to save files to avoid a game slowly overtaking the entire SD card when you save more and more stuff.

Let me put it this way: two save files means a Pokémon game can manage and save half the data it can manage now. Which means every game mechanic and piece of content that needs to save data becomes cut in half: you'll get two times less trainers, items, PC boxes, various secrets...

So no, I am pretty sure I don't want multiple save files par game... in the same way Zelda manages them, at least. What I do want is a way to freely back up and restore save files.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Some of your proposed ideas with the harder ones I am not sure would work in practice (can't get too 'hard' before it just becomes a grindfest, and there's also the level curve to consider that would be affected by changing the opposition teams/levels).

The last two "levels" in particular remind me a little bit of Fire Emblem Awakening's Lunatic+ mode, which in the end is really just "Can you survive all of this hax we're going to throw at you?" I would like a challenge in Pokemon, but in the end I think I would prefer something easier than a game that forces you to grind a lot, since that's something that I realllyy hate doing and if I had to do a lot of it @_@

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2016
    I'd love these things, especially as I like replaying old games (but also like keeping my save data). I just don't think it'll end up happening, as the idea behind only one save file is to promote people either buying other copies of the game, or using the wifi features to trade (or both).

Difficulty settings was seen in B2W2 but how they were implemented was silly. I don't want to beat the game first to play it on hard, or have a friend beat their version first (provided they have the right version to begin with!). Some of your proposed ideas with the harder ones I am not sure would work in practice (can't get too 'hard' before it just becomes a grindfest, and there's also the level curve to consider that would be affected by changing the opposition teams/levels).

You have a good point, but the leveling curve is not that bad if you think about it. For 2 reasons:
    1. Remember, "higher level opponents gives you higher exp as well, which levels you up faster." Therefore, you are also gaining a lot of exp fighting against them.

2. Pokemon X and Y has exp share and it is very likely that future games has it too.

Your response did make me consider that if they were to alter enemy level, they should probably make it so trainers gives you much more exp than normal difficulty as does wild Pokemon, except wild Pokemon to a much lesser increase of exp difference(for example 5%) since the true challenge of proving you're a good trainer is to outplay your enemy(trainers) with the odds against you. Therefore, the enemy level will always be higher than yours, unless someone just enjoy grinding for no reason. However, maybe give you access to something like Friend Safai midway through the game to give you a chance to breed perfect IV/EV/nature against opponent's perfect ones.

If you have to treat every trainer battle like a competitive match, the game would be pretty interesting to me especially since enemy trainers have different personalities, different types of strategies could be given to them. You will encounter all kinds of gimmicks even funny ones such as defense curl + roll out, fake out + last resort....etc.

Imagine you're at the part where Team Flare is blocking your path to stopping the nuke and you fight Team Flare members over and over again. It'd really test your limits if all their members provide a decent challenge and you have to fight one right after another.

I agree with you, it would be cool if the option was there right at the start, but if even you had more save slots I don't think they'll allow you to trade with yourself.

The last two "levels" in particular remind me a little bit of Fire Emblem Awakening's Lunatic+ mode, which in the end is really just "Can you survive all of this hax we're going to throw at you?" I would like a challenge in Pokemon, but in the end I think I would prefer something easier than a game that forces you to grind a lot, since that's something that I realllyy hate doing and if I had to do a lot of it @_@

Enemies are AI after all, therefore they will never be as good as a human player who can adapt. Therefore upping it's their abilities for the player to overcome. However, I replied to another post that the grind wouldn't be that bad because you get more exp the higher your opponent's level and you have exp share. It has a lot of similarities to "doom bots" in League of Legends. Overall, they could give you access to friend safari earlier in the game if you choose difficulties higher than normal so you can prepare and max your Pokemon's IV/EV.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The last two "levels" in particular remind me a little bit of Fire Emblem Awakening's Lunatic+ mode, which in the end is really just "Can you survive all of this hax we're going to throw at you?" I would like a challenge in Pokemon, but in the end I think I would prefer something easier than a game that forces you to grind a lot, since that's something that I realllyy hate doing and if I had to do a lot of it @_@
    Yes, exactly what I was thinking of too, haha. I like a challenge (I beat FE: Shadow Dragon on the hardest setting - no deaths!), but when the setting becomes 'you have to reset if the opponents have a certain ability', which is entirely down to RNG, that's really no longer 'fun' imo. I'm sure some people like that sort of thing, but it's not for me.
    shootingfoul said:
    1. Remember, "higher level opponents gives you higher exp as well, which levels you up faster." Therefore, you are also gaining a lot of exp fighting against them.
    This is true, but I'm not sure if it's a straightforward conversion. You'd need to playtest/experiment/trial-and-error to make it work, as I don't think that this effect would always balance out a raising of NPC levels.
    I agree with you, it would be cool if the option was there right at the start, but if even you had more save slots I don't think they'll allow you to trade with yourself.
    Thing is, we now have Pokemon Bank, so unless they want to disable that, it'd be a way around it. Plus not allowing to trade with yourself is restrictive, something they probably don't want to do with trading features.

(btw shootingfoul be sure not to double post *merges*)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One problem I see with save-slots is that you would be able to use it for PokéDex purposes—such us gathering all three starters—and it discourages trading, which is one of their major parts. Aside from that, however, I don't see much issues with it, so I'd be very fond if such a feature had ever come into existence. I've always been wanting to start new save files without erasing my former ones, and this would finally allow me.

As for difficulty levels, that sounds like a plan, too! Black 2 and White 2 has something like this, if I'm not mistaken, but you need keys to unlock them, which I don't think could be found at start of the game. If it were available at all times, however, it would be a lot better, surely!

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    I actually prefer the difficulty modes in BW2, but I wish they were both available for both versions at the start of the game. More save slots would be really nice, three would probably be enough. I really enjoyed the difficulties from BW2, just wish they were available at the beginning, and in every game:/

Back