• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

More Tiles from Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Yeah, I noticed that error after I posted the map. There are also some tree side errors, too. As you might have noticed, I am making some revamps of old tiles. I will also attempt to make some new ones, but I cannot promise anything (Revamping old ones is a lot quicker than making new ones).

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    The map looks really nice, but the placement of the trees in the route are poor. They seem like their in rows, instead of bunched up. Also, try to not make just one tree dominate over all of the others. If you decide to use more than one tree, make it so that one doesn't seem too overpopulated, compared to the other(s). Also, with that path tile you used for the second town, it seems as if that type of path is meant to be straight, with only bends and curves around corners, unlike how you made tried to make it seem more natural. It looks kind of weird to me. One more thing, I don't like the color of the wild grass. It seems a bit too green, and doesn't flow with the regular grass color at all. Make it more like the little fern type things that are spread around.
    Aside from that, and the few tile errors you mentioned, it seems as a generally nice bunch of maps. :D

Years
    Now that is what critique is about. Telling everything wrong with the map and how to fix it. Thanks for that. I havent recieved proper credit in a long time.

I am going to answer, though. For one, I am going to say this: each area of the combined was made individually of each other. I originally did not intend to merge them all together, but I did. That is why there are straight areas: they did not fully connect. Abot the tree thing, where I live, maples and oaks surround me, with the occasional pine tree. That is why I mapped the trees that way. The triangular one that is shaded like the big, rounder tree is also a type of pine tree. The path is supposed to look like a worn road that is made of circular bricks with grass growing over in a good amount of areas. I know, I failed to protray that. For the palette of the wild grass, I just don't like the wild Pokémon grass to blend in with the ground. I like it to be a bit poppier. The original palette was just the same palette as the tree. That, and more dull palettes just don't suit it. Believe me, I have tried.

But I do love and appreciate your critiqe. Since I made the maps in RPG Maker (I know, I cheated this time), I can easily edit them and I will when I add to it. I will take your critique to mind.

But a small update: I am working on making a still water tile, as well as a waterfall tile. The waterfall tile is likely to be an edit of an earlier tile I made, granted it will be animated.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    About the waterfall thing, (I'm speaking for the world here) what I would like to see, is waterfalls going to the sides, and also going backwards. Perhaps even waterfalls that can curve to the shapes of mountains. (If you get what I mean)
    Also, I could give you full on ratings of your maps that you make if you just want to ask. That one that I gave above, I was actually in a rush when making that, and only took a quick look at the map. I can go quite extensive :D

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
    Awesome work on the map, Alistair! You have a very unique style to all of your maps and your tiles, but I can't find the correct word. I'd like to say "cartoonish", but there's more to it than just that. For some reason, I really like the grass/bush tiles (I'm not quite sure what it is), it just looks very appealing to me.

Great job with everything! I can't wait to see some more tiles by you.

Years
    @ Disturbed: I will try that for the waterfalls. I know, the Nintendo tilesets being limited to only forward waterfalls is a bit stupid. And I know you can go indepth with your ratings. I have read some of your reviews in the Map Rating Thread.

@ Esmas: Thanks for the comment. I didn't really like using a more realistic style as much as I liked making everything look somewhat like what Satoshi Tajiri would like, something a bit more animé-ish.

Anyway, I make a few more tiles. The waterfall isn't done yet, but it is getting there. I have been on a school trip for the past couple days, so I have not gotten much done.

More Tiles from Me

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    They all look wonderfully done! You did a great job on the indoor multi-collored flowers! I can't wait to see what you make next.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    The three trees on the top left don't seem to fit in with the style used with the rest of the trees, although they do look a lot better than they did before.
    May I suggest getting some lighter and less dominating palettes?

Years
    Thanks for the comments, guys. Disturbed, I know exactly what you are talking about. Thse trees were not actually supposed to be a part of the tileset, but rather they were supposed to be updated to fit my new palettes and shading style. They aren't really meant to be a part of the actual tileset. For the palettes, that is kind of the point. Like I said, I don't really like using dull palettes. They just don't really fit me. Bold and bright is what I'm going for in this tileset.

Anyway, here is a map I made yesterday. it is already on my dA account.

More Tiles from Me

The new tree is actually not a part of this tileset, even though I made it. It is a part of the tileset that Spriter2 and Fused on Serebii Forums started. I am going to ask them if I can post it here, since it appears that they do not come here.

Years
    Ummm, no it's not. I made them that way on purpose. Kyledove does the same thing. I am not trying to make my maps exactly the same way they are in D/P/Pt, which is why they are like that (and I kinda like the way it looks. It doesn't seem so cluttered).

I do appreciate your concern, though.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    Thanks for the comments, guys. Disturbed, I know exactly what you are talking about. Thse trees were not actually supposed to be a part of the tileset, but rather they were supposed to be updated to fit my new palettes and shading style. They aren't really meant to be a part of the actual tileset. For the palettes, that is kind of the point. Like I said, I don't really like using dull palettes. They just don't really fit me. Bold and bright is what I'm going for in this tileset.

More Tiles from Me

The new tree is actually not a part of this tileset, even though I made it. It is a part of the tileset that Spriter2 and Fused on Serebii Forums started. I am going to ask them if I can post it here, since it appears that they do not come here.

Can you provide a link to where this is on Serebii?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019

I guess I can do an extensive map rating this time... :3

Natural Feeling

Trees: Well, the shape is nice in parts, but then it seems like it's getting a bit more 'squarish' in spots. It's more so in the town, rather than the route. The route's tree shape is absolutely phenomenal, and I have zero complaints about it. Now, for the town... it looks a bit blocky in places as I mentioned above. Now, to fix this, simply add maybe 3-5 more big trees. If needed, you can even replace some of the headbutt trees.
    Now, for the headbutt trees, I think there are way too many. Divide them in half, and then place them a little bit more randomly. I say this because after all, headbutt trees are regular trees, that just haven't fully grown yet. So I doubt there will be an abundance of them, let alone having them grow in rows. As I look in the town, it is just filled with those little buggers. Especially, behind the lab.

Terrain + Textures: Well, let's start with the pathways. I see you definitely improved the stone pathway since your last map. I have no complaints about that, so that's a plus! For the what I call, worn out grass pathways... they look great, but you can easily get away with adding a couple of smaller paths like that. Even if they're like 4-6 blocks, it'd definitely give a more natural feeling to it.
    The tall grass needs to be worked on some. By the look of the tall grass, it's something that would be a bit less abundant, but will have 'fuller' patches. So, all those ferns in the middle of those patches, I would recommend losing, since they don't fit in very well. They would look great in some places in the town, and especially in places other than where you placed them in the route. (I can't believe there weren't any in the town!)
    Flowers need some work. Where you placed them was brilliant, but there isn't nearly enough throughout the maps. The town should have at least 6-8 more flowers in it, seeing as towns usually have gardeners who would probably plant them to make the town look a bit more spiffy :3. The route could maybe use 3-5 more flowers, just to give it some nice beauty for a player to look at. (Since if this was a real place, I doubt the flowers would be so far apart.)

Playability
    Probably the most important subject.

Town: Absolutely no complaints about the town. Nice work!

Route: There is only one crammed place in the map, which is at the very beginning. Just remove a tree or two, and the playability of that is sheer perfection.

Overall, great job. I won't give you a number rating, since it isn't a map rating thread. :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2009
    Whoa, it's been a really long time since I've been here last, sorry about that.

Hahaha, just love the sort of comments you're getting here...

Anyways, I think that the lat tileset is amazing, I really love the pathways/road thing you've got going there,that is awesome.
    Really loving the maps, whether or not you use RPG maker makes no difference, it turns out awesome both ways.

Great work, Alistair, keep it up. :) (Love your smilies by the way).

Years
    @ Disturbed: I redid some parts of the map. You will see exactly what I did below.

@4Pikachu4: Thanks, good to see you're back.

Anyway, here is a tileset update, and an updated version of the map as seen above.

Map
    More Tiles from Me

Tileset
    More Tiles from Me

mindfreak

Belgium Rom hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Wow I really love your tiles.
    I would that I could sprite like that.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    Great job alister. The corners on the wheat/grass/thing look a little weird though...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back