• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Most annoying Gym Leader in FR/LG

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
Years
  • Lt.Surge it would take me an hour just to get to him and when i did id lose ah....memories.

OBEY ME

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Misty. I would always pick Charmander and I could never beat her, I would have to grind a lot and by the time I would finally win I would be overleveled.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2013
    Koga. I've played through Firered at least 5 times at this point, and he's the only gym leader who's given me trouble. I practically have a 50/50 chance of beating him. Either I get a critical hit against his Muk, or it spams minimize and acid armor and gives me a guaranteed loss.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • I would be interested in hearing how you were able to on-shot Sabrina's Psychic Pokemon before they could even move. It doesn't seem possible, at least without over levelling.

Level 42 Beedrill one shotted all of her pokemon with twineedle for me on a bug monotype challenge. This happened like, yesterday.

Oh, and Norman is pretty annoying. That slaking has a lot of bulk.

Years
  • Watson was the bane of my existence in Pokemon Emerald, because I have never been one to train rock type Pokemon, and as such he was always able to OHKO my Pokemon.

For Firered, there wasn't any real threat for me, I beat Koga by spamming fire moves with Charizard, and I just hit Sabrina hard and fast.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
    Years
  • I guess misty. Her fully evolved Starmie could really overpower any baby/middle stage Pokemon at the beginning. Well, that's saying if you didn't choose Bulbsaur at as starter.

Sometimes, I use to go all the way to ---Whatever the city Lt. Surge lived in--- Before challenging her.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2012
    Lt. Surge. His gym has always bugged me, not sure why, but he just was hard for me to defeat. ^.^

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    Lt. Surge. His gym has always bugged me, not sure why, but he just was hard for me to defeat. ^.^
    Lt. Surge has some strong Pokemon which can be annoying if you're not prepared.
    However, he built his gym next to Diglett's cave xD Any Diglett, even the lvl 15 ones can beat him with ease.

I don't really have a most annoying gym leader in Kanto. Maybe Misty, because Starmie is a very strong Pokemon, but she's not that troublesome to beat, either.

Years
  • I must say, I'm very surprised by some of these picks.

Mankey can easily own Brock's gym, even without a lot of training (and that's if you're too lazy to get Metal Claw on Charmander).

I caught a lv 14 Gloom while hunting for Abra, and without any training it easily beat every single thing in Misty's gym.

If you got Geodude way back in Mt Moon, he can solo Lt Surge. He's immune to electricity so even if he's under leveled he handles them.

And for Koga, does no one take the time to catch an Abra? He'll evolve long before reaching Koga, and he can 1-hit poison types twice his level with Psychic attacks, on top of which he's one of the fastest pokemon in the game.

But SABRINA! There's really nothing in the game that works against psychic types, and her pokemon are insanely high leveled. I only managed to beat her because Gyarados is a beast and bite is a dark move now so it's boss, and I was just able to evolve Charmeleon into Charizard with a Rare Candy, and flamethrower eats everything. I still had to revive Charizard THREE TIMES! And she beat me three times before I was able to figure out what to do.

In Emerald, I didn't have any real trouble until the normal gym with the main character's Dad. Those were some seriously over leveled normal types.
    Here's the thing. A lot of times people have specific teams in mind. For me at least, I'm not just going to catch a Mankey for the first gym and then never use it again if I don't want a Primeape. You're going to have weaknesses. I don't usually make amends to my team just to beat a gym leader I'm having a hard time on.

That being said, it's kind of ironic that I never really had that much difficulty against Kanto Gym leaders.

Back