• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most expensive Pokemon card ever?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Well, I saw a first-edition Charizard in my 10-year old magazine going for 360$. That got me wondering, what is the most expensive Pokemon card released?

Years
  • Google found me this one: collectorscache.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=43317&CategoryID=354&tabindex=0&tabid=9&Page=2
    Ugh, can't post urls yet cuz all my posts don't count =_= Copy paste that and add the www to the front in the address bar XP

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Lol at the PSA 10 1st ed Charizard, that card gets overpriced so often just because it's Charizard.
    Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the Pikachu Illustrator card https://archives.bulbagarden.net/me...uIllustrator.jpg/180px-PikachuIllustrator.jpg. There were only around six made, and it once sold for $20 000, though I have no idea what it might sell for now, probably still around there. It was a promotional card given away by CoroCoro to children who won a contest to design cards for the Japanese vending machine series. It's definitely the most coveted card out there for me, that's the first thing I would get if I became stupidly rich.
    The next is probably prerelease Raichu, sold for something like $15K, I won't get into the details because people talk about it too much.
    Then there are the Daisuku promos, given out in Japan only to people who participate in their tedious 'point system'. All of these cards are excedingly valuable, and printed in very few numbers. Perhaps one of the most famous of them is the Player's Umbreon: https://cgi.ebay.ca/Umbreon-Star-70...U_CollectableTradingCards?hash=item3ef9ddc504
    The other obvious cards that come to mind are trophy cards; the ones you can only get through winning tournaments, especially worlds, because there are so few of each printed (only three for each division). https://cgi.ebay.ca/Pokemon-2002-Ba...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563a6de57b Here's a good example, it's from the first battle roads ever held in Japan, less than ten ever printed. I don't know if it's actually worth 5K, but it's definitely one of the most expensive and unique out there. Even the cards released recently go for a few thousand a piece, with the No. 1 priced the highest every year.
    If you're thinking of playable cards only, you are basically not looking at anything priced more than $50. It depends on how popular a card is for a certain region, but in my area Flygon lv X goes for $45, and it's probably the same way for Luxray in other areas. I don't think any playable card is worth more than that, and they are always accessible from Ebay or through investing in a booster box or two.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Mainly expanding upon the first card Rocket_Executive listed...

According to a Beckett Collector's magazine I once had, the most expensive card was Pikachu Illustrator (holding paintbrush). The six (estimated) of these cards were given to winners of CoroCoro's Pokemon Card Game Illustration Contest in Japan, 1997. It has no in-game effect, but acknowledges the owner as a Pokemon Card Game illustrator.

https://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/bc/PikachuIllustrator.jpg

According to Beckett's price guide, the card is worth somewhere around $40,000,000. However, it usually only sells for $15,000 - $20,000.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I'll look for some of these cards on eBAY or just look around Japan for the ILLUSTRATOR card. Even a fake will do, it'll run for hundreds still.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • OMGOMGOMG I had a Charizard like that and traded it for like a deck of cards D: I can't remember it was the exact same one but it was from the first set of boosters.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    You realize $40,000,000 means forty million dollars, right? That's... a little bit of an exaggeration. $20K is what it goes for. I've personally never seen one on Ebay or elsewhere, I would imagine that seeing as they were only given away in Japan that most of them remain there, and the others are floating about mostly in the U.S. I know the official number was six, but that doesn't mean that all of them have been maintained or even kept around since then, especially seeing as they were given away to children, so there may be fewer now.

I would be surprised if any fake card sold for any money at all, let alone hundreds. If you tried to sell a Pikachu Illustrator card to someone for only a few hundred dollars, they would know immediately that it's a fake, as there are people eager to buy it for prices in the thousands.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
  • that is an insane amount to pay for a trading card and I thought transformers collectors were crazy for paying $350 for an incomplete toy. but this is insane

Poison Master

Poison'd You.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    that is an insane amount to pay for a trading card and I thought transformers collectors were crazy for paying $350 for an incomplete toy. but this is insane

I'd have to agree, if you ever scratched for moeny to buy A POKEMON CARD for 5,000 dollars your totaly out of your mind. I could see if you stumbled apon A mountian load of cash, than go ahead, and buy all 6 super rare cards, if you wanted to.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 5, 2010
    i have a holo blastoise and others...i wonder how much that's worth

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2015
    Right now, definitely Luxray GL Lv X, its going for 100$ in Ebay Auctions... not even "buy it now" prices.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I heard it was the Base Set Charizard. I have it, but its been in a washer a few times.

If it was 2000 and you could carefully clean it, then it'd go for 360$ if 1st Edition. Wait another 20 years, they get scarce.

On an unrelated note, E.T. is one of the rarest Atari cartridges, but (with Buy it Now!) it goes for about 1$. Still, it's a bit expensive for being "the worst game of all time that killed all the video games because nobody figured out how to play it, dammit.". It's really fun if you get the point on playing it and for 8KB... yeah...

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I haven't heard of a card more expensive than Illustrator.

https://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/bc/PikachuIllustrator.jpg

Worth around £13,000 it is the most expensive in the world. One of a handful of cards with double star rarity. It was never released in English, but the translation is:
    We certify that you illustration is an excellent entry in the Pokemon Card Game Illustration Contest. Therefore we state that you are an Officially Authorized Pokemon Card Illustrator and admire your skill.

That would be an awesome card to have won.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    That card goes up to 2 or 4 Million yen. And, I checked a new magazine (heh, my store carries Pokemon magazines but they never heard of ILLUSTRATOR) and 1st Edition Charizard goes up to 120$. If you have a Booster Set (36 packs) that goes from 800 to 1400$. A very nice price, indeed!

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    Illustrator is by far the most expensive card in existence.

Surprised no one's mentioned Grand Party... this card is easily worth more than Luxray GL Lv.X.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Grand Party's a very nice-looking card, goes for about $100. Not many people know about it, I would say, but it's just another one of those amazing mail-in cards that you could only get from living in Japan, the likes of which us North Americans can only obtain through buying for obscene prices afterwards. That one, along with the Masaki promos, Player's promos, and even the Illustrator, plus many other mail-ins.

Back